AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Apr 13, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #452 of 2,528
Can anyone recommend an iem that sounds similar to the nightowls?

You could wait for Audioquest's own (hopefully to be released at some point soon). Or, check out the Cardas A8. Here's my video on those:

Apr 13, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #453 of 2,528
I know we all hear things differently, and I don't own the NightOwls, but I do own the A8...there's MUCH more treble energy there in the A8. Not a bad thing (IMO) I enjoy them thoroughly, but I (personally) wouldn't equate them to the NightOwl.

Apr 13, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #454 of 2,528
Can anyone recommend an iem that sounds similar to the nightowls?
IMO nearly all iem's sound like they are in your head....Except for the new Isine 10 and 20 by Audeze. I don't like iem's anymore but those two were actually enjoyable to me

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #455 of 2,528

FAR from burned in yet. Only a few hours this evening. But I can't help myself. I needed another listen before bed. :)

I'm already impressed. These are some capable cans.

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #456 of 2,528
Would someone be kind enough to measure the dimensions of the NightOwls for me? I need the length, width, and height. Please include the metal band going around the leather strap for the length measurement.

Thanks a lot!

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #457 of 2,528
Well hot damn! This thing does get better with just a couple dozen hours of burn-in. Sounds far more punchy. Better low-end, more sparkly highs. Vocals seem to have grown clearer also.

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #458 of 2,528
I finally broke down and ordered the NightOwl's last week and they arrived Friday in time for a long weekend.

I have about 10 hours of playtime so far and I already like them quite a bit.  I do have a few minor sonic nits to pick but if the reports here are correct they will be addressed in due time with more (150 hours!?) burn-in.  

I knew this was supposed to be a comfortable headphone but I still was not prepared for the first time I put these on.  These are supremely comfortable!  My first listening session was just over three hours hours and I didn't have to fiddle with the fit or re-adjust anything.  Also I think the ear pads are (finally!) just the right fit for me, after several listening sessions I've had zero hot spots.

So I am still in the new toy euphoria stage with these but count me in as a happy owner.  These will be keepers for sure and could very well turn into one of my favorites.  Also kudos to AQ for doing a good job with the packaging and accessories.

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #460 of 2,528
In my first full week of use with the NO I have only used the protein pads.  I am trying to be patient and let these burn in some more before I start any tweaks or changes in the desktop system.

Apr 21, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #461 of 2,528

FAR from burned in yet. Only a few hours this evening. But I can't help myself. I needed another listen before bed.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm already impressed. These are some capable cans.

My NO have arrived as well. I actually bought them at a very good price from an Italian distributor.  Still burning in (30 hours so far). I intend to have a listen on my NFB28 this week end. I just hope they match well (I have the feeling it should).
They did sound a bit muddy and unrefined out of the box, but improved considerably after just 20 hours. So I really look forward to the 150 hours mark. So far, impression is that those are very relaxing and yet detailed and resolving, with good instrument separation.
Curious that I do not find them sooo comfortable. The headband is somehow trying to lift the earcups when it's on my head, creating some very light pressure. That also might break in with a few weeks of use.

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #463 of 2,528
Thanks for the tip. It is actually getting better already after 40 hours. The mecanism was maybe just a little bit stiff out of the box.
I have another question though. How do you guys hold the Nightowl in your hands ? Is it safe to hold the headphone by the earcups ? I see that the earcups are attached to the headband with a clever rubber bands system, holding it to this (metallic?) external ring. Holding the headphone by the earcups puts some pressure and strain on the rubber bands, and  I am wondering if those would not deteriorte after weeks or years of handling.
Do you have any thoughts on this ? Should I just relax and enjoy the music 
cool.gif

Apr 22, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #464 of 2,528
How do you guys hold the Nightowl in your hands ?

I've wondered the same thing; I don't want to wreck these superb headphones!

I tend to carefully pick mine up either by the top of the springy, over-head wire, or handle it by holding both of the outer rings in my hands when putting it on. I try to avoid holding it from one side only, or by the earcups, which seem to put strain on the rubber supports or the attachment point of the top springy wire.

Maybe the Nightowl is more robust than I'm giving it credit for, but...

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #465 of 2,528
  How do you guys hold the Nightowl in your hands ? 

Either by the top wire or with an ear cup in each hand.  As long as the ear cups are not swinging around banging into each other where you may get a chip in the finish your most likely good.  On my desktop system I have an oversized mat so when I do take my headphones off they rest on a friendly surface since I don't have a headphone stand.
I get where your coming from though, the NO is quite good so I would want these to stay in mint condition as long as possible too 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back