Audio-GD Singularity 19
Apr 1, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #196 of 285
hi vilmo
i must say i only liked it with the switch, without the sq was not better because of smps instead of only my hdplex for the PC in the chain.

the ds 510 had also some downsides, for wich ich returned it.
in the beginning of playing a certain sample rate, it played fast forward, with my Singxer f-1.
if i would have only listened to music, i could have lived with it, but it was also with videos and streams.

i wanted to put it to second use with a non xmos dac(without fast forward bug) on my gaming pc, but it got to much delay for it.

regards,
hifly :wink:

Apr 1, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #198 of 285
  ...Are there other LPS options you've found that are cheaper, but still function well enough? ...

How about Jameco DDU050100H4660? 5V/1A should be enough to power the DS-510 itself and light USB loads such as a self-powered DAC:

http://www.jameco.com/z/DDU050100H4660-AC-to-DC-Power-Supply-Wall-Adapter-Transformer-Single-Output-5-Volt-1-Amp-5-Watt_168605.html

While it is clearly not an audiophile-grade LPS it should be an improvement over a switch-mode supply, and for $10.95 on Amazon (US) you can't go wrong.

Apr 2, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #200 of 285

How about Jameco DDU050100H4660? 5V/1A should be enough to power the DS-510 itself and light USB loads such as a self-powered DAC:

http://www.jameco.com/z/DDU050100H4660-AC-to-DC-Power-Supply-Wall-Adapter-Transformer-Single-Output-5-Volt-1-Amp-5-Watt_168605.html

While it is clearly not an audiophile-grade LPS it should be an improvement over a switch-mode supply, and for $10.95 on Amazon (US) you can't go wrong.

Nice, thank you! I still need to learn more about audio power supplies, and line noise, ripple current....etc. I will check it out, especially at that price. 

Im referring to the Singxer F1

Gotchas. I was hoping to try the DS-510 and Singxer f-1, and grab the LPS for eleven bucks. 
darthsmile.gif

It's either that or wait and get the SU-1. 

How often/bad were the issues with the DS-510/f-1? Was your USB noise, and/or ground  loop buzz resolved?

Apr 2, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #201 of 285
  Nice, thank you! I still need to learn more about audio power supplies, and line noise, ripple current....etc. I will check it out, especially at that price. 

Gotchas. I was hoping to try the DS-510 and Singxer f-1, and grab the LPS for eleven bucks. 
darthsmile.gif

How often/bad were the issues with the DS-510/f-1? Was your USB noise, and/or ground  loop buzz resolved?

I will answer the second question - the FS-510/F1 will fast forward for a few seconds (between 2 and 10 seconds) every time there is a sample reate CHANGE.
I did find a workaround that adresses this problem, but a not very elegant one. I used ASIO Link PRO - as WDM driver and preferred ASIO driver for Foobar and JRiver. ASIO Link Pro outputs windows sounds upsampled to 96K/192K and in Foobar I use SoX upsampling also to 96K/192K. In this way other than the first time, there is NO change in sample rate - hence no problems. People who do not like upsamling will not embrace this soltuion easily :wink:

Admittedly the DS-510 is a niche solution that works only in some scenarios and in others not. It seems to be not on the SQ and ease of use level of LAN Rover but costs much less. In my earlier post I tried to share my view and experience.

The idea to have a USB box on a LAN and enjoy convenience and galvanic isolation for not much money is very nice and I think some audio manufacturers could eventually go this way... But at the moment the compatibility issues and non-standard DC barrel make it more fit for people who like to experiment and for those who have nasty ground loop issues. I never had those in my setup - I have tried the intona and it did not improve sound for me - so I cannot talk from experience.

Regarding LPS, I am no expert so cannot share thoughts there. 

Apr 2, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #202 of 285
  hi vilmo
i must say i only liked it with the switch, without the sq was not better because of smps instead of only my hdplex for the PC in the chain.

the ds 510 had also some downsides, for wich ich returned it.
in the beginning of playing a certain sample rate, it played fast forward, with my Singxer f-1.
if i would have only listened to music, i could have lived with it, but it was also with videos and streams.

i wanted to put it to second use with a non xmos dac(without fast forward bug) on my gaming pc, but it got to much delay for it.

regards,
hifly :wink:

hi hifly, nice to see you here!

You mentioned on the other forum that you will probably order and test LAN Rover or Icron. It will be nice if you can share your experience if and when you eventually do.  

Apr 2, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #203 of 285
Here's a couple of good discussions on USB chain from computer to DAC:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/829639/usb-strikes-back-watch-out-aoip-usb-ethernet-chain-beats-all-at-least-for-me#post_13103749

http://www.usaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1172&hilit=usb+chain

My apology if these have already been mentioned.

Link to fairly inexpensive linear power supply:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TeraDak-DC-30W-TOUCH-DC9V-2-5A-Linear-Power-Supply/130906580297?rmvSB=true

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TeraDak-TeraLink-X1-X2-DC8-5V-1A-USB-DC5V-port-Linear-Power-Supply-/181467993450?rmvSB=true

Apr 2, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #204 of 285

darthsmile.gif

it was everytime i switched the sample rate i suspect.

hi hifly, nice to see you here!

You mentioned on the other forum that you will probably order and test LAN Rover or Icron. It will be nice if you can share your experience if and when you eventually do.  

i have postponed the icron route, i recently switched back to my pachanko ref sata cable after my modi multibit settled in, its quite huge difference to the coboc cable.

now i have ordered an denafrips ares clone from audiophonics, if its ok for me i might go for icron after it, else i might save some money for the lks 004 if it become available in europe.
i dont know, its changing so fast for computer audio, eyeing on ifi igalvanic and iso regen, maybe i just sit it out until there are some good compare

Apr 3, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #205 of 285
  Update:
NOS 19 sounds very natural, without any glossyness or metallic/sharp effect. Sounds like my music has more "body" and depth. Bass is natural and smooth. Overall sounds a bit more quiet and placed back in a more smooth natural soundstage. 

Both are musical in their own way.
Can't complain! I may like the S19 better, but both can be had for different listening tastes depending on what you'd like to throw at your ears. 
My experience has been similar to gk2013's above, as well as using the same equipment for both DAC's. Nice review!

gk2013, have you had a chance to change settings in either DAC? I'm close to 300 hours on both, and will be playing with settings soon. 

-T

I did play with jumpers indeed and I would say the 1x OS (IPS0 and IPS1) is the best in my solution. It's slightly smoother, more natural.
Agree with you , the DAC19 seems also a bit more "quiet" - this improved with 1x OS and expect the "warmer" version might be on par with DAC19.
This will probably at cost of something else :)

I very much like the  clarity and neutral character combined with excellent spatial sound. Love it!

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #206 of 285
Sweet, glad you're liking it :)

Do you have PLL on, or DITH? 
Not sure what would be best for the S19, or NOS19, but here's what I'm running now:

S19 (haven't listened yet just changed and letting warm up for a day):
PLLEN ON
DITH ON
IPS1 ON (2x OS)

NOS19 (just changed from stock, warmed up for day):
ATT1 ON (smoother sound flavour)
IPS0 OFF
IPS1 ON (NOS mode 2)
DITH OFF - want to try ON, but I have the Amanero and I'm confused by the description "choice this option, customer don't want upgrade the TXCO... So would it be better to leave off? Or doesn't that matter that I have the Amanero? Same with the S19 - have Amanero. 

^^^^^ The NOS 19 in smooth flavour sounds great! very liquid, more polite, and still good detail retrieval. Resolution is sacrificed a bit, but its great that you can switch back and forth depending on what your likes are that day. 

L3000.gif

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #207 of 285
  Sweet, glad you're liking it :)

L3000.gif

Hi, are you guys talking about the Setting button on the S19? I got this a few weeks ago and ended up forgetting about the Setting button. How do you use it?

Edit: Never mind. Involves taking it apart and messing with the insides. Think I'll leave it as is...

Apr 26, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #208 of 285
I spent some time auditioning the Audio-GD Singularity 19 recently ... the fully-loaded version (neutral tuning - the "warm" version was not shipping when this was purchased).

It is, without doubt, the absolute worst DAC I've ever heard (and I've done serious auditions on a LOT of DACs).

Words literally fail me as to just how bad this thing really is.

There was a claimed 100 hours of factory burn-in and test on this unit. It had a subsequent 300+ hours of burn-in before I did any serious listening to it. And it had almost four full days of continuous power-on time (playing music) in order for it to warm up before I did my audition (which was done in my own rig).

It didn't matter what jumper settings were used. It didn't matter what input it was driven via. It didn't matter what source material it was fed. And it didn't matter what I used as a source. It sounded consistently terrible.

It was auditioned with both Woo WA5-LE Mk2 (fully upgraded) and iFi Pro iCAN amplifiers, using Abyss, Utopia, LCD-4 and HD800S headphones.

This is not the kind of thing I had come to expect from Audio-GD, and if this is what one can expect from the Singularity-based models then I'd be damn sure to get an audition before you hand over your cash. It would be flat-out embarrassing at $100 never mind nearly $800 after shipping.

Terrible.

Audio-GD.jpg

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #210 of 285
If you can't even describe in words how bad it sounds, then perhaps the unit you have is defective. You might want to investigate that.

Doesn't sound appealing, particularly in light of the alleged 100 hours of factory burn-in and test.

It also doesn't sound broken (my experience with which in solid state devices results in things either just not working or being horribly and obviously distorted). But it is congested, pitchy/peaky, tonally off, harsh and mushy (a neat trick to pull off simultaneously), fatiguing and veiled.

This thing is no competition for Audio-GD's PCM1704-based stuff. No competition at all. Nor is it competition for any half-way competent CoTS/reference-sheet DAC. I'm not even, particularly, a PCM1704 fan ... but while those may not be my particular cup of tea, I've never heard one that didn't totally out class this.

Anyway, I very much doubt it is defective unless it's at the design level (maybe it's hitting the extremes of parts tolerances/sample variations, but that's still a design problem). Either way, it's a) not my problem and b) to reassess this to a useful degree I'd need multiple units from random customers.

Don't need to take my word for it ... but I highly recommend listening to one before parting with your money. The cash you save will be your own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back