Audio-GD Singularity 19
Mar 22, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #181 of 285
Mar 23, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #183 of 285
Mar 25, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #186 of 285
Just so I understand....
There are two versions of software/firmware to choose from with the S19 - neutral/normal and warm. This does not have to do with the jumper settings correct?
Possible firmware update/upgrade? Or possible to have both and flash between the two?

Just random thoughts.

-T

Mar 25, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #187 of 285
So I reinstalled ASIO Bridge - issue persists that I cannot open the ASIO Panel, and that when I try to increase latency it tells me to reboot but after that it's still at the same latency. Any ideas? All other devices are disabled except Hi-Fi Cable. I also tried enabling Amanero but still nothing different. I do get a bit of data loss/popping every once in a while on all sample rates. 

Does anyone know of a sound card with multiple coaxial outputs? I don't care about headphone ports or analogue rca out - just coaxial or bnc. 

-T

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #188 of 285
  Just so I understand....
There are two versions of software/firmware to choose from with the S19 - neutral/normal and warm. This does not have to do with the jumper settings correct?
Possible firmware update/upgrade? Or possible to have both and flash between the two?

Just random thoughts.

-T

No this does not effect the jumper settings. Its only the "Sound flavor"

Mar 27, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #189 of 285
  So I reinstalled ASIO Bridge - issue persists that I cannot open the ASIO Panel, and that when I try to increase latency it tells me to reboot but after that it's still at the same latency. Any ideas? All other devices are disabled except Hi-Fi Cable. I also tried enabling Amanero but still nothing different. I do get a bit of data loss/popping every once in a while on all sample rates. 

Does anyone know of a sound card with multiple coaxial outputs? I don't care about headphone ports or analogue rca out - just coaxial or bnc. 

-T

I think for a sound card to get up to the level of what the stock Audio-GD Amanero can do when working properly, you would need something normally used for pro-audio such as the Lynx E22, which is super expensive.Here is a pretty cool comparison review of different SPDIF devices:
http://www.basshead.club/spdif-battle-mutec-singxer-lynx-rednet-et-al/

It seems to me you have some pretty nice gear... certainly worth thinking about an external convertor, (or maybe something like the new isolator/reclocker device coming from Uptone audio.)
From what I understand, there are solid engineering benefits to doing the DDC conversion outside of both the PC and DAC environments.. given all the recent developments on cleaning up the USB path, I would think there should be tons of good used DDC's available at fair prices.

I did not see what software you are using, iirc Audio-GD seems to use Foobar.. maybe give that a try...

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #190 of 285
Cool review link, thanks! Definitely thinking about it, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around having to spend hundreds (close to a grand) just to rid the little amount of noise that is present. I like the idea of network USB isolation, and there are a few choices I see. 

LAN Rover $599 (full isolation. Need better LPS?)
http://www.psaudio.com/products/lanrover-usb-transporter/

@VilMo mentioned the Silex DS-510 $102.43 on Mouser (full isolation? Or only with a good LPS?) Thanks VilMo!
http://www.silexamerica.com/products/connectivity-solutions/device-networking/usb-parallel-connectivity/ds-510/

Intona $319.00
https://kitsunehifi.com/product/intona-usb/

This would be awesome in addition to the above....
KTE SU-1 $689
https://kitsunehifi.com/product/kte-su-1-kitsune-tuned-edition-3-2uv-output-noise-125db-psrr-usb-digital-to-digital-convertor-xmos-xu208-cpld-dsd256-dop-free-shipping-with-coupon-code-singxer/

Lynx E22 seems crazy expensive for a single solution to USB noise, and I would only run SPDIF. I'd like USB for oversampling, and SPDIF/coaxial for NOS maybe? - because more things. 

At this price point I feel it's a little ridiculous, but hey it's what we do lol. If I had a LAN USB isolation device I don't think there would be a great need for a DDC. It would be nice though, especially if I wanted to run SPDIF/coaxial in addition to USB.

edit: Just realized the SU-1 doesn't have USB output. Bummer. I was aiming to grab the SU-1, but I'd still like to use USB every once in a while. Ethernet isolation too then I guess. 

-T

Ps. Review coming of first two weeks listening with NOS 19, and Singularity 19 - including gear and jazz. Possibly by the end of this week or next. In short, IMO they are both freaking awesome and noticeably different from each other. I really cannot decide which I like better. All I can say is now I need NOS 7 and a Master 7 (Singularity) with 8 pcs DA M1. It never ends. All aside, the NOS 19 and S19 are end game dacs for me. Thank you Kingwa and team :)

Mar 28, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #191 of 285

USB from PC do vary widely in quality. That is why recently I was tempted and tried a different approach to usb audio. I tested a USB device server - Silex DS-510 (http://www.silexamerica.com/products/connectivity-solutions/device-networking/usb-parallel-connectivity/ds-510/). 

This unit kind of decouples USB from the noisy PC. The PC/laptop sends USB over IP (via a switch) to the DS-510 where the USB signal is freshly reconstructed. I feed the DS-510 with a linear power supply (Sbooster). Ethernet provides galvanic isolation. So now I have a very clean USB signal that is fed to a DAC or DDC (like Singxer F1). Better still, the USB signal is generated on the PC side by software purely - it is not negatively influenced by the USB bus of the PC.

This is another way to avoid crappy USB from PC and ... still stay with USB :wink:.

All this for about USD/EUR 90.00 (without the LPS)! Not bad at all :wink:  

Please elaborate on your impressions! 
Does the DS-510 need an aftermarket LPS to be a great solution?

Looking at the LAN Rover as well. 

Thanks VilMo

Mar 28, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #192 of 285
Today (tonight) we did a 1 to 1 listening session between DAC19 vs Singularity19.

Both DAC's were connected to a good amplifier via a good RCA interlink.
We used a good SPDIF source and high quality SPDIF interlink
I do not detail out what we used exactly, this is not relevant for comparison.
To be sure we were listening to only the DAC differences we switched power and cables from DAC19 to Singularity19 and back.
Both DAC's were set to default settings. No jumpers installed.
We used same playlist for both DAC's.

We started with Singularity19. What we both noticed was the homogeneous and open sound image. Pleasant sound, after one hour of intensive listening we were both convinced this is a very good sounding digital analogue converter. Transparent, open and spacial image.

After an hour we hooked up the DAC19. This confirmed what we though: The SING19 is more transparent. DAC19 bass is slightly more closed (less tight) and overall slightly warmer. After one hour we concluded the DAC 19 DAC19 with 2xPCM1704 is great, no doubt - read the reviews on the internet I would say.

We switched back to the Singularity 19 again: Voices seems more in front of you; deeper and wider soundstage and tighter bass.

It isn't very very difficult to hear the difference between the 2, on the other hand you can also hear they are part of the same family. Haven't had the chance to listen to the "warmer" version of the Singularity 19. Expect it sounds more like the DAC19. I can imagine in a "bright" set you would like the DAC 19 or warmer SING 19 :wink:
Audio-GD's first R2R dac is a great achievement; it is definitely recommended. 
L3000.gif

Tracks we listend to:
- Sara K. - Water Falls 
- Ed Sheeran - SHAPE OF YOU
- Nils Lofgren - Tears On Ice (Live)
- Miles Davis - On a silent way
- Hadouk Trio - Air Hadouk
- Manu Katché - Drum Solo
- BIS Records Vivaldi - The Four Seasons ( Summer )
- Daft Punk - My name is Giovanni Giorgio

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #193 of 285
Audio-GD's first R2R dac is a great achievement; it is definitely recommended. 
L3000.gif

Good to get another comparison and opinion!

To be exact, the DA-M1 in the S19 is Audio-GD's first in-house discrete R-2R resistor ladder DAC. They've been producing PCM1704UK R-2R DAC implementations for the past decade...

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #194 of 285

Please elaborate on your impressions! 
Does the DS-510 need an aftermarket LPS to be a great solution?

Looking at the LAN Rover as well. 

Thanks VilMo

TurbOSquiD67,
The Silex DS-510 was discussed in more detail on another forum: http://www.usaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1172&start=615.
I use the name vilmo there also, first post is on page 42. 
The DS-510 was later found inferior to the Lan Rover / Startech / Icron solution by the forum founder, who compared it in his highly revolving Ultra+ USB chain as he calls it.
This Ultra+ USB chain however consists of a chain of USB cleaners, LPS, cables, etc. with price over USD 1500.00. So it seems the Lan Rover / Startech / Icron are better sonically, but cost 4 times more. User Hifly liked the DS-510 a lot, and noted that SQ was much better when the 510 is connected to a switch and not directly to a LAN port on the PC like to forum founder tested it.
I haven't had the chance to hear Lan Rover / Startech / Icron.

My take on the DS-510 from my experience in the hobby is the following:
1. The DS-510 can be very beneficial for systems with bad USB implementations and ground loops. On PC souces with good USB implementation the difference will not be so obvious.
2. The DS-510 can be very convenient because it can be installed close to or in a hifi rack and the PC can be very far away - limits of USB cables do not apply.
3. I used the DS-510 through wifi with no noticeable loss of quality which was nice for some scenarios - YouTube, etc.
4. The SQ as always will depend on system synergies and in your system the results can be different.

You should also know that 510 is not fully compatible with all devices.
With Chord Mojo connected my laptop rebooted every time - no go.
With my Singxer F1 DDC there are a few seconds of garbled noise each time there is a change in sampling rates. After this it works perfectly.
With the marantz HD-DAC1 there are absolutely no issues.

So the sound is characterized for me by blacker background and less grain. The overall clarity and expecially that of the voices is improved.

LPS brings improvement, but I would call it 5-10%. The barrel of the DS-510 is non-standard - 1.5/4mm. I have this included with the SBooster, but it is not standard.

So I should recommend that you try it - it is returnable and relatively cheap. Icron Europe for example do not offer trial period and is difficult to evaluate without buying it. I hope you will share yor experience if you decide to explore this path. In any case this is a novel approach and a good learning experience.

I have found inly one similar product that seems to have better hardware and software - www.wut.de/e-53642-ww-daus-000.php - but is roughly 3 times the price of the DS-510 so not very tempting...

I hope this helps.  

Apr 1, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #195 of 285
Thank you, VilMo. Your input has greatly helped the process in selecting a USB isolation device.

I think that the DS-510 would be a great solution to try for my first ethernet USB solution. However, $100 along with an LPS (hundreds?) would be close to the price of the SU-1. Though the SU-1 doesn't have USB out. 

Are there other LPS options you've found that are cheaper, but still function well enough? I think my perfect setup would be the LAN Rover, as well as an SU-1 KTE, but the DS-510 would bring the cost of that project to a much more realistic number. Hell, it's crazy expensive anyways. I could also run the DS-510 (with affordable LPS), and a Singxer f-1. Can you run a USB hub off the DS-510 with good results? This way I can have USB to one DAC, and SPDIF to another. 

The Ultra USB chain thread is crazy. Good, but crazy lol. I can't spend that much on an implementation only for USB cleaning/isolation. But good to learn that those options exist.

Update:
NOS 19 sounds very natural, without any glossyness or metallic/sharp effect. Sounds like my music has more "body" and depth. Bass is natural and smooth. Overall sounds a bit more quiet and placed back in a more smooth natural soundstage. 

Singularity 19 sounds natural, but not as natural as the NOS 19. It has a digital tone, a bit more resolution, shine, and transparency, but is oh so polite. Bass is a bit more powerful and punchy. Overall sounds a bit more forward, transparent, but still with a sound stage only what seems to be (if at all) a tad bit smaller than the NOS 19. Probably due to more transparency and digital sound. Though it does shine a bit more, and have a slightly more digital tone, the S19 does sound very rich.  

Both are musical in their own way.
Can't complain! I may like the S19 better, but both can be had for different listening tastes depending on what you'd like to throw at your ears. 
My experience has been similar to gk2013's above, as well as using the same equipment for both DAC's. Nice review!

gk2013, have you had a chance to change settings in either DAC? I'm close to 300 hours on both, and will be playing with settings soon. 

-T

Users who are viewing this thread

Back