Audio-gd NFB-29 (Single Ended Master Race lol)
Aug 26, 2014 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 137

kvtaco17

Headphoneus Supremus
This new sweet powerhouse from Audio-GD is now shipping and needs some love.

Manufacture Link

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB29/NFB29EN.htm

Some things that stick out to me are the amount of power this thing puts out...

19V RMS

8000MW /  40 ohm
3500MW  /  100 ohm
1200MW / 300 ohm
600MW  /  600 ohm

That's some serious juice!

Plus a good amount of connectivity (it should be... because its a DAC, headamp and pre)

And on top of all that is a ESS9018 with DSD and DXD support from USB.

Basically this is the NFB28 but single ended only.

Mine is on order and should be here in about 2 weeks... I'll update with my impressions, and in comparison to the 11.32.

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #2 of 137
Reserved

REVIEWED!

So I've had this thing for a bit now... first one to ship into the wild and arrive at its home. I'd say I'm pretty confident I know what this thing sounds like.

The interface is classic AudioGD, simple and intuitive, the unit can act as a amp, DAC, or both, meaning you can use any amp OR DAC with it and really understand how each section sounds.

I used this unit mostly as a DAC, BUT I did find time to really put the amp section through it's paces.

Build

Solid, tank like... nice touch with the stepped attenuator... The knob has a nice feel to it, the finish work is above average and the overall build quality is very nice VS my previous AudioGD components

AMP

The amp section is fairly neutral, with a slight tilt towards the warm side. Very detailed, never etched or fatiguing (unless it's paired with bright cans, and fed bright/poorly mastered source material) The sound presentation is best described as, fast, focused (but above average sense of space), dynamic and lively. Plenty of power is on tap (8W@40 Ohms - 600MW @ 600 ohms) meaning this thing can easily drive planars, as well as hard to drive dynamics (K240 Sextet 600 Ohms) My HD800's were driven effortlessly and sounded pretty darn good. I actually really like how the HD800 sounds, and could even live with it as a single solution! Dynamic, extended and fast... all these descriptors apply. The amp section is very good, BUT it has it's faults. The sound stage could be bigger, and there could be a better sense of air (although it is far from bad... I'd just prefer a little more) I even tried this thing with the LCD2's today at a meet and wow... all that power really wakes them up, the HE500 is drove with authority, just splendid! There are better solid state amps out there yes... BUT this on was kinda an afterthought... I'll explain why in the next section.

OH, and this thing is super quiet! I tried both my IM50 and IM02 in ear's and there was literally zero noise to be found!

DAC

Oh my... this is really where all the money is! Detailed, dynamic (not Gunguir super dynamic, but well above average) and did I mention detailed?! This thing run separated from it's amp using my Glenn OTL is majestic (I also got good results with the LD MK1+, LDMK3, Lyr, o2). Crystal clear, spacious, never etched or fatiguing, transparent. Just glorious, especially considering the price. The NFB29 does this amazing trick with it's treble presentation... all of the classic Sabre detail and extension is there but without any of the annoying shout/glare/nastiness that shows up in a lot of products from every manufacturer (including AudioGD) AND without dulling the upper registers! (Yulong I'm looking at you!) This is obviously a DAC I really like... it does have one flaw... it could be a little more dynamic, maybe just below Gunguir level dynamic... BUT that might not even be a complaint because a lot of people find the Gunguir too dynamic (I'm not one of those people) but it's something I can pick on. I would also like the option to mute different outputs. Maybe even have a nicer remote... little annoyances like these are my only real complaints.

In summary I love this thing... it did sound a little weird when I first got it, I don't know why BUT it opened up after about a week of use. I ran it isolated from my main rig and used my NFB11.32 daily so I wouldn't just get used to the new unit. The pre outs work very well with my Emotiva Airmotiv's and overall is a very nice package for a fair price. This unit pretty much convinced me that there could be a single ended master race. Combined with a good tube amp you have a killer combo that shames systems costing a ton more (Glenn OTL would be my amp of choice, or even the MadEar HD, or Taboo MK3 depending on your tastes) and gives you a ton of flexibility.

So if you're gear is all single ended OR you have no desire to re-terminate your existing gear this is about as good as it gets... just go buy one and be happy! (unless you wanna do all that then get the NFB28... which is supposed to sound pretty darned close to this, maybe even a little better)

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #3 of 137
Thread title says NFB-28, might want to change that.  I'm eager to see reviews for this.  

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #4 of 137
Good catch lol

Sep 2, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #5 of 137
OMG its out for delivery!

Sep 2, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #6 of 137
Surprised at the lack of activity here.  Hopefully after you post your impressions there will be more.  
redface.gif

Sep 2, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #7 of 137
  Surprised at the lack of activity here.  Hopefully after you post your impressions there will be more.  
redface.gif

It'll be a bit... The thing just got here, packaged very well and so far is living up to what I expected! I hope someone else ordered one, it's such a nice piece of gear and I'd hate to see is disappear quickly...

Sep 5, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #8 of 137
Man, this thing really is awesome... again it seems like the DAC is better then them amp setup... kinda like the 11.32... Much more dynamic than the 11.32 (but less so then the Gungnir but more detailed then both) So far this thing is pretty damn good for it's asking price!

I'll have a formal review when I have had enough time to really understand where this thing sits VS my other gear.

Sep 6, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 137

Look at that lump of metal!

Just had to post a pic of the full setup!

And my Emotiva's... the NFB29 really makes these shine!

So after some burn in all I have to say is that this DAC/AMP combo is a real steal... the DAC alone is worth much more then the price of admission. Super detailed, very extended, and very good dynamics. This whole combo really makes my HD800's sing!

Sep 6, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 137
I wonder how the single ended and balanced performance compares to the NFB-28.  Chances are I'll have both balanced and unbalanced headphones so I'm not sure which to go with.  

Sep 6, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #11 of 137
  I wonder how the single ended and balanced performance compares to the NFB-28.  Chances are I'll have both balanced and unbalanced headphones so I'm not sure which to go with.  

I'm curious as well BUT from everything I have gathered the the NFB29 will outperform the NFB28 in single ended mode by a good margin, getting close to the performance of the NFB28 in balanced mode. So if you're planning on re-terminating all your cans get the 28, if not the 29 is what you want. I've sent kingwa an email asking this same question and will post a response when I get it.

Sep 6, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #13 of 137

I'm curious as well BUT from everything I have gathered the the NFB29 will outperform the NFB28 in single ended mode by a good margin, getting close to the performance of the NFB28 in balanced mode. So if you're planning on re-terminating all your cans get the 28, if not the 29 is what you want. I've sent kingwa an email asking this same question and will post a response when I get it.

Thanks!  I definitely won't be re-terminating all of my headphones so I'm going to have to make a small sacrifice either way.

Sep 6, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #14 of 137
Honestly balanced isn't that big of a deal... It's all about implementation!

Sep 6, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #15 of 137
The nfb11 has some harshness to it in the treble regions that the nfb29 doesn't have... The 29 is more dynamic, more detailed and overall better. Much bigger sound stage, much better separation and imaging.

My favorite HD800 amp is currently the Glenn OTL, followed closely by the taboo mk3 and beta 22. The Glenn is amazing because of how much detail it can extract from a recording, and how flexible it is in terms of signature with a bit of tube rolling (everything from warm/cold to neutral) The taboo is awesome because of its lucid mode, but is behind the Glenn in dynamics and detail. The beta 22 just sounds good... But is behind both in most categories with the HD800.Also the Glenn is pretty inexpensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back