Audio-gd NFB-28
Apr 5, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #1,756 of 2,104
NFB 28.38 arrived - but sounds like i have to burn in for a while
redface.gif

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #1,761 of 2,104
When i first received the nfb 28, I liked it or at least could perceive that it was a well made and sounding dac and amp. It took me a while of hearing the signatures differences and slight changes in amplification for me truly appreciate it. And when I did one day while listening to stringed instrumental group I realized that ive come to love the dac and amp for what it offers. Or should I say strongly like since love is strong word lol.

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #1,762 of 2,104

NFB-1AMP. NFB-28 is the best option for most people, but in your circumstance you should get a dedicated amplifier. It doesn't make any sense to run a lineout from NFB-28 to a low output-z portable amp just for IEMs in a desktop setup, it is suboptimal. If you listen to low impedance IEMs only occasionally, and can handle the slight bass bloom, I would still get the NFB-28.

In most cases the rationale for getting a NFB-1AMP/C2 can be boiled down to three reasons:

1. You already have a DAC that you will be keeping
2. You need lower output impedance or extra power
3. You want discrete units that you can swap out

Likewise, for the AIO units like the NFB-28

1. You want a compact, monolithic unit
2. You want to save significant money for essentially the same sound quality (unless this conflicts with #2 above)

As for the Gustard X20, if my X12 was any indication, it will be even better. But if it were up to me, I'd just get something with a similar form factor like the NFB-1.38 and just stack it to save space. The older Audio-GD DACs had a ghetto USB implementation, but the newer stuff actually has good USB implementation. The chronology was Tenor -> Amanero -> XMOS, and I called XMOS way back then, and they made the switch to it a few months later. One of the reasons I didn't get an AGD DAC was due to the mediocre USB, it was apparent even back then that while Amanero was cheaper, it didn't have the same wide adoption or continuous development as XMOS.

Thanks for the advice and information! It's a lot to think about.

I think I've decided to hold off on the 28.38 for now, and see what options start popping up over the next year. I think separate units ultimately make more sense for me. Especially if the X20 is a better DAC anyway.

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #1,763 of 2,104

I think I've decided to hold off on the 28.38 for now, and see what options start popping up over the next year. I think separate units ultimately make more sense for me. Especially if the X20 is a better DAC anyway.

Well seeing as the gustard products that have come out like the h10 and the x12 and from what I have read the x20 is a great dac option under 1k bit it is also roughly sane price as the NFB28.32 so I would hope it would be a better dac seeing as it is a stand alone unit. The nfb28 is great dac and on top of that a great amp and I have compares the dac and amp separate and together against many others in the 300 to 800 price range and yet i still have the unit...if that is saying anything. If i didn't have the fiio x5 3rd gen into my pb2 or Meier 2stepdance amps I would of probably sold it and gotten a c2 and amother dac from audio gd.

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #1,764 of 2,104

I'm considering both X20 and the NFB28/28.38 as well.. Wonder from where do you think X20 has a better DAC? Seems X20 is using ES9028 while NFB28.38 is using ES9038.. Isn't ES9038 a better chip? Or are you comparing with NFB28 only?

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #1,765 of 2,104
I'm considering both X20 and the NFB28/28.38 as well.. Wonder from where do you think X20 has a better DAC? Seems X20 is using ES9028 while NFB28.38 is using ES9038.. Isn't ES9038 a better chip? Or are you comparing with NFB28 only?

I few people suggested as much in this thread. They may have to weigh in on this.

Here is my guess: The 9038 is the better chip on paper, but a great deal depends on the implementation. This may be where the Gustard pulls ahead, as it is a dedicated DAC, rather than one that shares key components with an amp. I also am a bit frustrated by the lack of detailed, updated measurements for the 28.38. Tthe Audio-gd page shows the same specs as were posted for the 28. Surely some of those specs must have changed...

For me, being a better DAC (if it is) is a secondary consideration. I am more concerned about the output impedance of 2 ohm and having to open the case to change digital filters.

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #1,767 of 2,104

I few people suggested as much in this thread. They may have to weigh in on this.

Here is my guess: The 9038 is the better chip on paper, but a great deal depends on the implementation. This may be where the Gustard pulls ahead, as it is a dedicated DAC, rather than one that shares key components with an amp. I also am a bit frustrated by the lack of detailed, updated measurements for the 28.38. Tthe Audio-gd page shows the same specs as were posted for the 28. Surely some of those specs must have changed...

For me, being a better DAC (if it is) is a secondary consideration. I am more concerned about the output impedance of 2 ohm and having to open the case to change digital filters.

The NFB28 with 9028 is had same specs of older NFB28 with 9018 but I guess you had not visit the NFB28.38 web page, it is had the new test specs on page.

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #1,769 of 2,104

I'd like to hear more about "C-2 vs NFB28 as an amp" and "Bimby vs NFB28 as a dac"!

Bimby's a better DAC than NFB-28. The sound of the Sabre DAC is definitely BRIGHT. I don't mind it as much when it's with my darker cans (Fostex) but if I use it alongside a Beyerdynamic, I feel like it moves from present to piercing. :)

There's some weird behavior that makes the music stutter when I switch between sources (lossless on my computer and say, Spotify Premium). I don't know why the NFB-28 is doing that. Bimby never did that type of thing. I'd add to the ever-growing list of "weirdness" from the USB stack within the Audio-GD family that everyone is sharing, I guess.

As far as power goes, the NFB-28 seems like it's better, since I have my headphones set to balanced cabling. There's no "gain" mode that I had to activate via jumpers like I did with the C-2--I'd say a strong point of Audio-GD products is definitely strength and clarity, albeit a bit neutral and sterile in the amplification department. My experience with both the C-2 and the NFB-28 has led me to purchase a Master 9 as my amplifier of choice. DAC however... I'll be looking elsewhere, as I want something that can give me the NOS feel. Probably MHDT's Balanced Pagoda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back