Audio-GD Master 9
Jul 9, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #1,411 of 2,563
Whatever amp you planning to buy, a good DAC and digital sources is paramount IMO. A good amp is “only” amplifying the signal coming from the DAC/TT. If the audio signal coming from the DAC isn’t good to begin with no amp can ever fix it. I consider its best to start with as good source as possible, no matter if you use a turn table or a digital player.

I have not heard the Master 11 + Singxer SU-1 myself, but if its sounds like a combination of Master 7 and Master 9 + Offramp 5 it might be worth to put on your list. This solutions cost more than just a Master 9, but also is more of a complete solution which can be used both for the HE-6 and active speakers.

Btw, my Marantz PM 11 is an integrated speaker amp so I don’t use Master 9 as a pre amp.

Yes, I agree. Good source is of major importance and my priority at the present time. However I prefer to purchase a really good network player (like e.g. Lumin) instead of buying separate DAC as I think its more convenient and beneficial for sound quality ( as you reduce jitter by bypassing PC in the audio chain). I would like to have Lumin and M9 in my audio chain. Hope its going to happen in a year , touch wood.:slight_smile:

Jul 9, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #1,412 of 2,563
Yes, I agree. Good source is of major importance and my priority at the present time. However I prefer to purchase a really good network player (like e.g. Lumin) instead of buying separate DAC as I think its more convenient and beneficial for sound quality ( as you reduce jitter by bypassing PC in the audio chain). I would like to have Lumin and M9 in my audio chain. Hope its going to happen in a year , touch wood.:slight_smile:

A good network player with integrated DAC is a really good solution :slight_smile:.

Aug 7, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #1,415 of 2,563
I just noticed that there is now a 2017 version, as of may. However I can't find anywhere mentioning what the difference is.
Well the Master 9 share a lot in common with the Master 1 so i think your answer is on the master 1 page :
" Now we are release the new version, the most improve is applied the single polarity FET buffer stages in input and output, which is had a bit lower distortion and improve on the sound quality.
The Single polarity FET stages are the non feedback design and applied the Toshiba K170 , which is even had money but can not buy from market nowdays.
The others improve on power supplies for less noise and darker black back stage."

As an owner of the previous Master1 version, I'm curious about the 2017 users :)

Aug 7, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #1,416 of 2,563
Well the Master 9 share a lot in common with the Master 1 so i think your answer is on the master 1 page :
" Now we are release the new version, the most improve is applied the single polarity FET buffer stages in input and output, which is had a bit lower distortion and improve on the sound quality.
The Single polarity FET stages are the non feedback design and applied the Toshiba K170 , which is even had money but can not buy from market nowdays.
The others improve on power supplies for less noise and darker black back stage."

As an owner of the previous Master1 version, I'm curious about the 2017 users :)

Now my Master 9 is crying. Or is it me :b

Aug 8, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #1,417 of 2,563
I wonder, is it easy to change those single polarity FET buffer stages in an old Master 9?

Hum, I was under the impression that Master 9 was a non-feedback design already

Aug 8, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #1,418 of 2,563
I wonder, is it easy to change those single polarity FET buffer stages in an old Master 9?

Hum, I was under the impression that Master 9 was a non-feedback design already

You have to change the whole analog boards.

The "old" Master 9 you currently have uses pairs of K170/J74 JFETs which requires difficult manual matching. The "newer" design uses either K170 or J74 only which requires easier matching.

I doubt the "new" design would have any perceivable difference, or improvement compare to the "old" design, given the K170/J74 in the old design was already well matched.

Kingwa stated in his Chinese forum that it is not worthy to sell the "old" Master 1/9 to get the "new" Master 1/9.

I am having the "old" Master 1 preamp. I am very sure its XLR output stages are already having much lower distortion than the input stages of the power amp it connects to.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #1,419 of 2,563
You have to change the whole analog boards.

The "old" Master 9 you currently have uses pairs of K170/J74 JFETs which requires difficult manual matching. The "newer" design uses either K170 or J74 only which requires easier matching.

I doubt the "new" design would have any perceivable difference, or improvement compare to the "old" design, given the K170/J74 in the old design was already well matched.

Kingwa stated in his Chinese forum that it is not worthy to sell the "old" Master 1/9 to get the "new" Master 1/9.

I am having the "old" Master 1 preamp. I am very sure its XLR output stages are already having much lower distortion than the input stages of the power amp it connects to.

Thanks for your clear explanation about this, it's very much appreciated. Your next challenge is to resume the analog out upgrade of the Singularity vs the old Master 7 :wink:

Sep 11, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #1,420 of 2,563
I received my Master 9 this morning, and have spent the last 4 hours listening to it. 2 hours with the Abyss Phi, 2 hours with the Focal Utopia. These are very early impressions, the kind that hit you right away, not the subtle things you notice over time. I like these impressions as it usually gives me the main idea of a piece of gear, and whether or not I will enjoy it over time or not. This amp is replacing my Wells Audio Headtrip as I wanted to downsize price wise (not physically) and move to a more neutral amp. I bought this amp used, so it has a good amount of hours on it.

The first impression off the bat is the Master 9 is big, and heavy! Build quality seems to be really good. Utilitarian and simple, but well put together. It runs fairly hot, but not overly so compared to a few other amps.

My initial thought is this amp has pretty darn good transparency and is very detailed. I’ve tried running it with my iDSD Black Label as the DAC, and my PS Audio PWD mk2, and it was very easy to pick out the differences between the two. The Master 9 also seems to be a very punchy amp, accentuating the qualities of the already punchy and dynamic Utopia and Abyss Phi.

The Master 9 does not seem veiled, or flat and boring in any way. It also doesn’t strike me as a warm amp, which is a nice change from the Wells Audio Headtrip, which is definitely a warmer amp. The treble doesn’t seem to be sibilant or harsh so far, but I need more listening time with it to really comment here.

I’m impressed and happy so far with the Master 9. I think I have achieved my goal of an amp that is cheaper than the Headtrip, but also more neutral and transparent. Between the PWDmk2 and Master 9, combined with the Abyss Phi and Utopia, I’m hearing tiny details I haven’t heard before.

I’d really like to compare this amp to the Schiit Ragnarok, as that seems to be its natural competitor. Maybe in the future I will get a chance :)

fQKCyJu.jpg

Sep 11, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #1,421 of 2,563
I received my Master 9 this morning, and have spent the last 4 hours listening to it. 2 hours with the Abyss Phi, 2 hours with the Focal Utopia. These are very early impressions, the kind that hit you right away, not the subtle things you notice over time. I like these impressions as it usually gives me the main idea of a piece of gear, and whether or not I will enjoy it over time or not. This amp is replacing my Wells Audio Headtrip as I wanted to downsize price wise (not physically) and move to a more neutral amp. I bought this amp used, so it has a good amount of hours on it.

The first impression off the bat is the Master 9 is big, and heavy! Build quality seems to be really good. Utilitarian and simple, but well put together. It runs fairly hot, but not overly so compared to a few other amps.

My initial thought is this amp has pretty darn good transparency and is very detailed. I’ve tried running it with my iDSD Black Label as the DAC, and my PS Audio PWD mk2, and it was very easy to pick out the differences between the two. The Master 9 also seems to be a very punchy amp, accentuating the qualities of the already punchy and dynamic Utopia and Abyss Phi.

The Master 9 does not seem veiled, or flat and boring in any way. It also doesn’t strike me as a warm amp, which is a nice change from the Wells Audio Headtrip, which is definitely a warmer amp. The treble doesn’t seem to be sibilant or harsh so far, but I need more listening time with it to really comment here.

I’m impressed and happy so far with the Master 9. I think I have achieved my goal of an amp that is cheaper than the Headtrip, but also more neutral and transparent. Between the PWDmk2 and Master 9, combined with the Abyss Phi and Utopia, I’m hearing tiny details I haven’t heard before.

I’d really like to compare this amp to the Schiit Ragnarok, as that seems to be its natural competitor. Maybe in the future I will get a chance :)

Glad you like your Master 9. They really are a great amp not only for the money but overall as well. It definitely is larger than the Headtrip although it's tiny compared to the HE-9. When I first saw you pic my eyes got confused and I though part of the pic was missing due to how short it looks after staring at the HE-9 for a while, lol.

I've always wanted to listen to the Headtrip out of sheer curiosity at its 25watt output. Would you say moving to the Master 9 were a lateral step or a step up or down?

Sep 12, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #1,422 of 2,563
Glad you like your Master 9. They really are a great amp not only for the money but overall as well. It definitely is larger than the Headtrip although it's tiny compared to the HE-9. When I first saw you pic my eyes got confused and I though part of the pic was missing due to how short it looks after staring at the HE-9 for a while, lol.

I've always wanted to listen to the Headtrip out of sheer curiosity at its 25watt output. Would you say moving to the Master 9 were a lateral step or a step up or down?

Thats how I have been feeling, that I'm impressed with the Master 9, not just for the money, but in general at any price. Is the HE-9 really bigger? Wow!

So far.....I think it is a lateral step as it is so different from the Headtrip.

Sep 12, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #1,423 of 2,563
Thats how I have been feeling, that I'm impressed with the Master 9, not just for the money, but in general at any price. Is the HE-9 really bigger? Wow!

So far.....I think it is a lateral step as it is so different from the Headtrip.
Yeah it's about 33% taller which is why it looks so different from the front.

Sep 12, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #1,425 of 2,563
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back