Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Jun 9, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #3,661 of 4,451
Complete dsp board throw away,use this one,feeding 5v ultracapacitor power.

Jun 9, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #3,662 of 4,451
TB2Mnt2auTyQeBjSspaXXcjjFXa_!!1070034332.jpg

Jun 9, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #3,663 of 4,451
After study the datasheet of PCM1704 and I2S specs, you will find (1) the only signal matters jitterwise to PCM1704 output is BCLK.
Wouldn't the most important clock in a DAC chip be the master or MCLK? BCLKs just shift data serially into the DAC chip at a much higher rate than the actually sampling frequency. In NOS mode there is no oversampling so MCLK needs to be the actually sampling frequency of the playback file. On 8x oversampling MCLK would run 8 times as fast and 4x 4 times as fast as the actual native sampling rates. So it just seems logical that the MCLK does the actual D/A conversion in the DAC chip. Help me out if I am wrong.

Edit: Yes, I'm confused. The PCM1704 DAC chips do not utilize the MCLK I2S signal. I've been looking at the Master 7 interior and Kingwa carries connects four signals to the analog boards. Just assumed MCLK was one of them. Know what the function is of the fourth wire?

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #3,664 of 4,451
O.K. I'll try to clarify things a little with a picture:

(1) Why only BCLK matters: please refer to PCM1704 datasheet page 7 & FIGURE 1. --- "The change in the output of the DAC
occurs at the rising edge of the 2nd BCLK after the falling edge of WCLK."

(2) BCLK* output from DSP is generated from (A) MCLK (maybe + BCLK) in most cases (B) buffered version of BCLK (if NOS firmware version 1 with BYPASS jumper setting is used)

(3) MCLK is used for oversampling and drive the digital filter for DSP chip in Master 7, and used to generate different flavors (Nos mode 1, 2, 3, etc) of BCLK* in NOS 7.
Its frequency is DDC dependent. For Singxer's F-1 & SU-1, it is fixed at either 22.5792 or 24.576 Mhz. (the two femto-clocks)

(4) The fourth wire should be GND (My guess, I don't own a Mater 7), can be easily verified with a multi-meter.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #3,665 of 4,451
O.K. I'll try to clarify things a little with a picture:
(1) Why only BCLK matters: please refer to PCM1704 datasheet page 7 & FIGURE 1. --- "The change in the output of the DAC
occurs at the rising edge of the 2nd BCLK after the falling edge of WCLK."
OK found a PCM1704 datasheet. Yes, sound quality in regards to jitter boils down to cycle-to-cycle edges of the 2nd BCLK after assertion of WCLK for D/A conversion. Interesting.

I am just preparing to install the Singularity digital board before it arrives. I like to understand all signals/ power involved in case of problems that require debug. Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, one of the four signal wires from the digital board to each analog board is ground. The other two are BC, DA, and WC so you are spot on my friend!

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #3,666 of 4,451
Hi guys.

I am tempted to jump in the singularity upgrade boat. Seems easy enough. A 2-3 hour job i would say, at least for me. A more direct route to the 1704 chip thus less jitter, i presume. However, my set up is top notch already. I guess i will wait for feedback. For less than 300$, it is a great offer. I will probably buy the board anyway.

Jun 11, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #3,667 of 4,451
Well, the Singularity boat is tempting. My old Master 7 with the updated firmware is so great that have been considering an upgrade to Singularity something... I cant solder myself so I am considering the HE-7 Singularity version. No one has probably listened to the HE-7 Singularity yet. But does anyone here have any HE-7 experience (updated firmware, I2S) vs Master 7 (updated firmware, I2S) ?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #3,668 of 4,451
Well, the Singularity boat is tempting. My old Master 7 with the updated firmware is so great that have been considering an upgrade to Singularity something... I cant solder myself so I am considering the HE-7 Singularity version. No one has probably listened to the HE-7 Singularity yet. But does anyone here have any HE-7 experience (updated firmware, I2S) vs Master 7 (updated firmware, I2S) ?

Some guys on a french forum have made an a to b between both and agreed that the he-7 is a sgnificant step above. I am refering to the former version of both, not the singularity.

Jun 11, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #3,669 of 4,451
I'm still on the Singularity upgrade fence, I can't decide. The window of opportunity is a small one and closing soon.

I'm still not convinced that for I2S users it's worth the effort and cost too. If it didn't involve soldering in a new board (which means my M7 will need to visit the hifi repair shop) I'd go for it. But that additional obstacle has me scratching my head.

Jun 12, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #3,670 of 4,451
I'm still on the Singularity upgrade fence, I can't decide. The window of opportunity is a small one and closing soon. I'm still not convinced that for I2S users it's worth the effort and cost too. If it didn't involve soldering in a new board (which means my M7 will need to visit the hifi repair shop) I'd go for it. But that additional obstacle has me scratching my head.

It is task that is not casual or particularly easy. While waiting on the digital board upgrade I have already removed the old M7 digital board. Working with Kingwa we have identified several items that are not plug-n-play compatible. For instance, the 7-pin control cable from the old M7 front panel is reduces to 4-pins on the Sing. board. Kingwa states the old 7-pin control cable will need to be pinned to a 4-pin connector. Similarly, the USB and HDMI I2S connections are different as power is fed separately to the I/O boards on the old M7 but power is combined with I2S for the Sing. board. So re-pinning cables again necessary. And the 3-pin Toslink cable connector location is different and farther away. The old M7 3-pin cable may need to be extended.

Power is only four wires (+/-15V plus two GNDs) but access is tight. The I2S signals to the analog boards and other I/O connections look similar and straight forward. The most difficult soldering task seems to be bottom circuit board access (non-existent initially). This forces you to de-solder and re-solder wires from the top side. Easy to melt wire insulation if you apply too much heat. Where applicable I believe I am going to replace all top side signal wires with Teflon insulated wiring. Teflon resists melting.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #3,671 of 4,451
It is task that is not casual or particularly easy...

I can see you know what you are talking about. There is a lot of research behind that post.

Ok I'm not on the fence anymore. My M7 is perfectly fine the way it is. My next upgrade then will be the Singxer SU-1. And I'm pretty fixed on getting an M9 also when I'm able.

My only real worry is not being able to take advantage of future firmware upgrades if they are offered for the M7 singularity only.

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #3,672 of 4,451

HE-7 Singularity ordered :) I hope that the SQ improvements will justify this upgrade. I will keep you posted guys.

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #3,673 of 4,451
I'm certain it's going to be excellent. I'm also sure Kingwa understates the difference the HE version makes. What could be better than having a high quality power regenerator right inside your unit? Especially the dac.

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #3,674 of 4,451
I'm certain it's going to be excellent. I'm also sure Kingwa understates the difference the HE version makes. What could be better than having a high quality power regenerator right inside your unit? Especially the dac.

I don’t know maybe a high quality power regenerator for all your audio gear :)

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #3,675 of 4,451
I don’t know maybe a high quality power regenerator for all your audio gear :)

Sounds good too. Having a dedicated high quality regenerator unit though for the most sensitive gear has its benefit. And the HE design prevents you from plugging any other gear into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back