Announcement: The Edition 6 is Dead
Apr 12, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #286 of 314

You are correct...just try to post a (less than 5-star raving) review of certain iem brand and see how quickly your post get taken down. Post a bad impression or anything negative on certain threads and the pain of 20 daggers stabbing your back within minutes from the fanboys who will defend the brand to death and accused your ears, taste, associated equipment, source etc other than a product itself. There became a siege mentality whereby no one will be bothered to post anything but some happy clappy news on the entire thread. Many (who does not have an opportunity to audition one) will likely be mislead by the general tone of the thread and lay down some $2K on their total iem then get a What moment when they finally hear it themselves.

HiFiMan seems to be getting all the opposite treatment from many and we generally hear only negative impression when in fact (many of) their products are pretty solid in the first place. Still unhappy with my HEKv1 but thankfully their HEKv2 fixed most of my pet peeves

Yes, but to have threads and threads complaining about QC issues, followed by deliberate misdirection (IMO), is ridiculous. People will misrepresent any piece of info if it provides them a reason to **** all over HiFiMAN and provide a juicy scoop.
Yep, there tends to be 99% immaculate praise/flaming, and 1% of people who contradict any and all claims (i.e. if a headphone is dark and bassy someone will complain about how thin it is). Whether it's praise or flaming is dependent on fashion.

I agree. I've bought the HE500, HE-6, and HEKV1 from them and I really do enjoy their products. Some stuff regarding their products is disappointing yes, for which they are getting the heat. However, what is happening now with the misdirection and unnecessary flak is unfair. As a community we at least need to be fair. They aren't the first offenders with QC/Pricing/CS issues.

Apr 12, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #287 of 314

I believe they ship it in a Pelican case all the way from Asia...so could (possibly) be down to the airline handling issue

Yeah it's literally boxed in a foam cutout, shut in an old-school Pelican case and sent to/from China.

The amp wasn't actually broken.
Mike (Woo) and Peter (HeadAmp) both went over to take a look at it.
There was just an issue with the connecting points of the 300 tubes (slightly dislodged during transit perhaps?) and we couldn't get consistent sound.

But really, I'm glad most of you feel the same way.
For all the negative feedback people may have, there comes to a point where a line is crossed. 
Constructive criticism is great, but public shaming not so much.

One bit of misinformation leads to 10 other guys jumping on the hate train.
And I've been seeing a lot of that throughout the forums, not just this one.

If you don't like their products and don't agree with their business practices, simply don't purchase anything from them.
If it's really that bad, then sooner or later they have to make changes or go out of business.

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #288 of 314

You are correct...just try to post a (less than 5-star raving) review of certain iem brand and see how quickly your post get taken down. Post a bad impression or anything negative on certain threads and the pain of 20 daggers stabbing your back within minutes from the fanboys who will defend the brand to death and accused your ears, taste, associated equipment, source etc other than a product itself. There became a siege mentality whereby no one will be bothered to post anything but some happy clappy news on the entire thread. Many (who does not have an opportunity to audition one) will likely be mislead by the general tone of the thread and lay down some $2K on their total iem then get a What moment when they finally hear it themselves.

HiFiMan seems to be getting all the opposite treatment from many and we generally hear only negative impression when in fact (many of) their products are pretty solid in the first place. Still unhappy with my HEKv1 but thankfully their HEKv2 fixed most of my pet peeves

Yeah true.  Perhaps nobody is jumping in to defend it yet because nobody owns one - I think once people invest thousands into a product and enjoy it, they get a bit more defensive when someone attacks it.

Why the heck we are getting bugger-all impressions from (I am assuming) dozens of people who would have tried it at canjams makes me wonder.  I have noticed in the past on other threads that people are often hesitant to say anything that goes against the norm.  Maybe everyone is waiting to see what everyone else is saying about them so that they don't get attacked by a bunch of people with a differing opinion.  Just hanging back to see what other people say and then chime in with the old "yeah, yeah that's what I heard too..."

I guess in a thread full of hate, if you try and bring something positive to the conversation you'll get shot down just as quickly as someone trying to say something negative about a popular product.

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #289 of 314
So, nobody's concerned that this 6k headphone blew a driver just because they were plugged in without turning the volume down? Sure, it's best practice that most of us always follow, but I'll put my hands up and admit I occasionally forget, and I'll bet I'm not alone. Headphones need to be robust enough to deal with this scenario, especially those that cost as much as a small car.

Apr 13, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #290 of 314
So, nobody's concerned that this 6k headphone blew a driver just because they were plugged in without turning the volume down? Sure, it's best practice that most of us always follow, but I'll put my hands up and admit I occasionally forget, and I'll bet I'm not alone. Headphones need to be robust enough to deal with this scenario, especially those that cost as much as a small car.

They were plugged in with the volume knob probably past 12 o'clock or maxed out since most the attendee's were deaf.

Apr 13, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #291 of 314

Yep, the fact that the Sampo is that easy to kill is worrying. If you're dropping that amount of money, you expect a certain level of engineering foresight. Pretty sure the Utopia would survive that.

(Actually, pretty sure my HE-560 would, too, ironically. Plug it in with the appropriate amp up halfway? No problem. I have to remind myself why HFM used to be a popular upstart.)

Apr 13, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #292 of 314
I think there is a difference in design with speaker amps compared to headphone amps though and you are never supposed to connect/disconnect a load while powered up. I recall a while ago someone using a speaker amp with their abyss blew a fuse while disconnecting his headphones. I think it may have even been in standby. If the amp used for the sus is indeed a speaker amp as Fang says, then that would probably explain it.

Apr 13, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #294 of 314

Yep, the fact that the Sampo is that easy to kill is worrying. If you're dropping that amount of money, you expect a certain level of engineering foresight. Pretty sure the Utopia would survive that.

Holy ****... any evidence behind this claim?

Go on Audeze's website - they actually give you a max power handling rating and how long it can handle it for. The ass-talking on this thread has to stop, to the point where the mods should come in and remove the outright lies and uninformed speculation. 

Apr 13, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #296 of 314
  Holy ****... any evidence behind this claim?

Go on Audeze's website - they actually give you a max power handling rating and how long it can handle it for. The ass-talking on this thread has to stop, to the point where the mods should come in and remove the outright lies and uninformed speculation. 

I'm sure that was relevant in your head.

Apr 13, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #297 of 314
I'm sure that was relevant in your head.
Of course it's relevant - a driver is going to explode if you give it too much juice, and some manufacturers (ie. Audeze) can actually quantify it. Speculation like your remark about the Utopia is completely fictitious.

Apr 13, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #298 of 314
It's not a continuous feed of power, but rather a spike created on the connecting/disconnecting of a headphone from a speaker amp. Don't ask me how it works, but it's definitely a phenomenon I have heard of before regardless of the headphones connected.

Apr 13, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #299 of 314
It's not a continuous feed of power, but rather a spike created on the connecting/disconnecting of a headphone from a speaker amp. Don't ask me how it works, but it's definitely a phenomenon I have heard of before regardless of the headphones connected.
Just like Schiit's issue with the original Asgard... but that requires understanding

Users who are viewing this thread

Back