ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Mar 6, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #781 of 1,380
  I didn't like the Bendix tubes either. 

The Bendix 6V6 tubes are definitely "built like a tank", but the overall sound quality I actually consider below average for quality NOS tubes.

The Bendix tubes were designed for ruggedness and durability in industrial and military applications, and so audio fidelity was likely not a primary design consideration.

Mar 8, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #782 of 1,380
Hi,

Just jumped on the wallet and ordered ST6.
Hopefully, it is that good from the reviews and you guys impressions.
Absolute the best.
Mine will be silver color.
I will use my Utopia.
I hope it will be endgame.

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #783 of 1,380
Welcome to the ST6 team! You will be very happy. Remember that any new amp will need some burn in. 150 hours or so generally.

beerchug.gif

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #784 of 1,380
Hi,

Just jumped on the wallet and ordered ST6.

Hopefully, it is that good from the reviews and you guys impressions.

Absolute the best.

Mine will be silver color.

I will use my Utopia.

I hope it will be endgame.

im using the Utopia with my ST6. Confirmed. It is most definately end game

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #785 of 1,380
I've a borrowed pair of Utopias here and the combination is great. Once the S6 has been left on for a day, I find the soundstage expands quite a bit with them.

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #786 of 1,380
I've a borrowed pair of Utopias here and the combination is great. Once the S6 has been left on for a day, I find the soundstage expands quite a bit with them.

how long do you normally leave yours on for? I usually turn mine off at the end of the night.

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #787 of 1,380

how long do you normally leave yours on for? I usually turn mine off at the end of the night.

So do I. I usually turn it on in the morning so that it is nice and warm for the end of the day listening. Lately, since I have headphones on loan to review, I've left my system on continuously. 

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #788 of 1,380
So do I. I usually turn it on in the morning so that it is nice and warm for the end of the day listening. Lately, since I have headphones on loan to review, I've left my system on continuously. 

Wow, long warm up time, i normally just go upstairs and warm mine up 30 minutes before i settle in to listen for the night and i still think it sounds awesome, ill have to try leaving it on longer.

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #790 of 1,380
Congratulations!   It will be good to hear your report :wink:

Hi Tom,

Some earlier post mention hum with sensitive cans. Should I worry about picking the Studio 6 for my Utopia?

Thanks.

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #791 of 1,380
Hi Tom,

Some earlier post mention hum with sensitive cans. Should I worry about picking the Studio 6 for my Utopia?

Thanks.
Was an awesome pairing for me

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #792 of 1,380
Hi Tom,

Thanks.

Hello sdwong,

I personally have not yet heard the Utopia with The ST-6, but I look forward to doing so soon.

I can, however, say this: I know that a fair number or experienced/seasoned enthusiasts have tried the Utopia with ST-6, and so far the comments
I've encountered have all been very positive. I have heard no user complaints or remarks about problems with excessive hum.

In fact, I do know of at least two veteran head-fiers in this thread who have spent a fair amount of time with the ST-6/ Utopia pairing: goldendarko and
Currawong. I suggest you take a look at their postings to gain more insight into what sort of performance you might expect with such a combo.

On the issue of hum in general: As with most vacuum tube amplifiers which use large output transformers, the ST-6 does have some *very* low-level
hum which tends to only be heard/noticed sometimes when one is using more sensitive than normal headphones in very quiet rooms and there is no
music playing on the system.

So yes, the good news is that even with sensitive headphones the low-level hum is insignificant enough that even discriminating listeners tend to not
notice it at all under normal listening circumstances.

Also: there are occasional times when excessive hum can be detected, such as when a piece of source gear connected to the ST-6 is improperly
grounded or when a vacuum tube is faulty. Otherwise, hum has not generally been found to be problem with the ST-6.

I hope that helps.

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #793 of 1,380
Really impressed by what I'm seeing in this thread so far.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience at all with LCD4s...I'm trying to figure out which direction to go in, currently driving them out of a Mojo that got the job done with my HD700s but obviously that's not a long term solution. After everything I've read, it seems like this may be the way to go, but I know the LCD4s are power hungry. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #794 of 1,380
Hello sdwong,

I personally have not yet heard the Utopia with The ST-6, but I look forward to doing so soon.

I can, however, say this: I know that a fair number or experienced/seasoned enthusiasts have tried the Utopia with ST-6, and so far the comments
I've encountered have all been very positive. I have heard no user complaints or remarks about problems with excessive hum.

In fact, I do know of at least two veteran head-fiers in this thread who have spent a fair amount of time with the ST-6/ Utopia pairing: goldendarko and
Currawong. I suggest you take a look at their postings to gain more insight into what sort of performance you might expect with such a combo.

On the issue of hum in general: As with most vacuum tube amplifiers which use large output transformers, the ST-6 does have some *very* low-level
hum which tends to only be heard/noticed sometimes when one is using more sensitive than normal headphones in very quiet rooms and there is no
music playing on the system.

So yes, the good news is that even with sensitive headphones the low-level hum is insignificant enough that even discriminating listeners tend to not
notice it at all under normal listening circumstances.

Also: there are occasional times when excessive hum can be detected, such as when a piece of source gear connected to the ST-6 is improperly
grounded or when a vacuum tube is faulty. Otherwise, hum has not generally been found to be problem with the ST-6.

I hope that helps.

Thank you. I read all the comments and reviews on the net and do believe the ST6 will be one of the Amp that will match well with the Utopia.

Mar 15, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #795 of 1,380
Hi Tom,

I am not familiar with tubes rolling.
Can I use my Sophia Princess 247B into ST6 rectifier slot and 2 driver tubes( GE-6DN7 + adapters(6GL7 -> 6DE7)  ) into ST6 2 driver tubes slots ?
These two sets came from my WA6SE with upgraded tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back