ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Mar 16, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #796 of 1,380
Hi,

Just hooked up and powered on the beast. Waited > 30 minutes before hearing with Utopia > ST6 > Esoteric K05's DAC > optical > QP1R as source and using K05 CD/SACD as well.
CD quality in WAV and 24/96 and 24/192.
Vinyl will be tested later. Waiting for a dedicated phono pre-amp to come later in couple of weeks.

No HUM at all.
Background is completely black.
Comparing to WA6SE, ST6 is relaxing and more open: soundstage is roughly about 2- cm more outward. WA6SE is more close-in.
No jolting or surprising vocals like WA6SE. Hearing Stevie Vaughn's songs is a lot more enjoyment right now; drums sound more real and organic.
Finding more instruments being play in the background that I've not heard from WA6SE before.
Extension is a lot more than normal hearing from WA6SE.
Not sure if ST6 will produce more sub-bass later or not. Based on ST6's bass right now, WA6SE's bass is more attenuated tuned.
Image is very good and precise.

I hope ST6 will be fantastic > 150-200 hrs.
Hopefully, WIFEY will fall asleep hearing my new set instead of patiently stand/sit like in the past.
This is my early retirement gift to myself right now instead of waiting for exact age to retire then your ears will be no longer good anymore.

Mar 16, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #797 of 1,380
Hi
Really impressed by what I'm seeing in this thread so far.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience at all with LCD4s...I'm trying to figure out which direction to go in, currently driving them out of a Mojo that got the job done with my HD700s but obviously that's not a long term solution. After everything I've read, it seems like this may be the way to go, but I know the LCD4s are power hungry. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Hi Audio-Phile,

Personally, I have yet to hear the ST-6 (Studio Six) with the LCD-4, but I look forward to doing so soon.  I can,
however, offer a few remarks:

The ST-6 should do a great job with the LCD-4, based on the LCD-4's impedance and sensitivity ratings.  The ST-6 is
known to have a lot of drive capability, even with notoriously "hard to drive" phones like the HIFIMAN HE-6 --in fact,
I personally own an HE-6, which I love with the ST-6.

Back to the LCD-4: in fact, I understand another veteran ST-6 owner/user in this thread who has discriminating ears,
 'goldendarko', will evidently soon be obtaining a pair of LCD-4, and I imagine he will be sharing with us his results at
some near point in time.  Stay tuned!

Cheers!

-Thomas

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #798 of 1,380
  Hi Tom,

I am not familiar with tubes rolling.
Can I use my Sophia Princess 247B into ST6 rectifier slot and 2 driver tubes( GE-6DN7 + adapters(6GL7 -> 6DE7)  ) into ST6 2 driver tubes slots ?
These two sets came from my WA6SE with upgraded tubes.

Hello meomap,

On your suggested possible tube substitutions for the ST-6: 

Unfortunately, 6DN7, 6GL7, or 6DE7 types (even with an adaptor) will not work properly in the ST-6.
These types have two dissimilar gain and plate resistance rated device in one envelope/tube, and are
intended for a different sort of circuit than that which the ST-6 6SN7 input stage uses.  In fact, attempting
to use them could possibly damage the amplifier, and so they must be avoided.

On the 274B: This too, I would advise not to use in the ST-6. The 274B rectifier uses considerably more
filament current than the specified GZ34/5AR4 type the ST-6 uses. Also, the ST-6 circuit has more input
capacitance in it's power supply circuit than the specified maximum for the 274B.  So, unfortunately there
could be a failure risk if this tube was tried. I would have to advise against trying this.

Some good news:  Any good quality GZ34/5AR4 type tube will work very well in the ST-6, and they are
quite available (personally, I just use the stockJ.J. 5AR4, they work great). Also: there are a good variety
of NOS 6SN7's and 6V6's out there which really sound nice, and so when you get ready to
try some different tubes, I suggest exploring within these types.

I hope that helps!

-Thomas

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #799 of 1,380

Hello meomap,

On your suggested possible tube substitutions for the ST-6: 

Unfortunately, 6DN7, 6GL7, or 6DE7 types (even with an adaptor) will not work properly in the ST-6. These types have two dissimilar gain and plate
resistance rated device in one envelope/tube, and are meant for a different sort of circuit than that which the ST-6 6SN7 input stage uses.  In fact,
attempting to use them could possibly damage the amplifier, and so they must be avoided.

On the 274B: This too, I would advise not to use in the ST-6. The 274B rectifier uses considerably more filament current than the specified GZ34/5AR4
type the ST-6 uses. Also, the ST-6 circuit has more input capacitance in it's power supply circuit than the specified maximum for the 274B.  So,
unfortunately there could be a failure risk if this tube was tried. I would have to advise against trying this.

Some good news:  Any good quality GZ34/5AR4 type tube will work very well in the ST-6, and they are quite available (personally, I just use the stock
J.J. 5AR4, they work great). Also: there are a good variety of NOS 6SN7's and 6V6's out there which really sound nice, and so when you get ready to
try some different tubes, I suggest exploring within these types.

I hope that helps!

-Thomas

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the very useful info.

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #800 of 1,380
  Hi,

Just hooked up and powered on the beast. Waited > 30 minutes before hearing with Utopia > ST6 > Esoteric K05's DAC > optical > QP1R as source and using K05 CD/SACD as well.
Vinyl will be tested later. Waiting for a dedicated phono pre-amp to come later in couple of weeks.

No HUM at all.
Comparing to WA6SE, ST6 is relaxing and more open: soundstage is roughly about 2- cm more outward. WA6SE is more close-in.
No jolting or surprising vocals like WA6SE. Hearing Stevie Vaughn's songs is a lot more enjoyment right now; drums sound more real and organic.
Finding more instruments being play in the background that I've not heard from WA6SE before.
Not sure if ST6 will produce more sub-bass later or not. Based on ST6's bass right now, WA6SE's bass is more attenuated tuned.

Hopefully, WIFEY will fall asleep hearing my new set instead of patiently stand/sit like in the past.
This is my early retirement gift to myself right now instead of waiting for exact age to retire then your ears will be no longer good anymore.

meomap,

Congratulations on receiving your new ST-6!

Your initial report of observations is quite interesting --thank you for sharing.

As mentioned elsewhere, yes, once the amplifier is used for several days or so, the tubes will
"burn-in" and an even higher level of positive sonic attributes should become readily apparent
in the reproduction.

Welcome into the realm of the 'Studio Six'  :wink:

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #801 of 1,380
Hi,

No HUM at all.

Meomap,

Glad to hear your impressions against the WA6SE as that was another amp I had originally considered before going with the ST6, Definately will hear some improvements after about 100 hours or so, I actually wasn't that impressed with it right off the bat but after break in it really become a much improved amp.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #802 of 1,380

Congratulations!   It will be good to hear your report :wink:

Hi Tom,

Some earlier post mention hum with sensitive cans. Should I worry about picking the Studio 6 for my Utopia?

Thanks.

I have a very tiny amount of hum with no music playing with the Utopias. 

Mar 17, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #804 of 1,380
Thank you for the feedback. Are there slight differences in component / cable arrangements in the amp? This may explain a new unit being quieter.

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #806 of 1,380
Mar 17, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #808 of 1,380
Hi All,

A few comments on the subject of hum.

As previously mentioned, any and all Studio Six units will have a very low level hum signal measurable in the output.  This small hum artifact
is normal, and  intrinsic to the design parameters/circuit configuration of the unit itself.

Normally, this hum artifact is generally unnoticed. On occasion, however, the hum has been perceived/noted by users of headphones on the more
sensitive side of the spectrum, but only in very quiet listening environments and when no music is playing on the amplifier.

When music is playing, even at very low levels, so far all users seem to agree that this miniscule background hum/noise is inaudible.

It is worth noting that many well-reviewed solid-state headphone amps have background "hiss" of considerably higher level than the tiny hum
found with the Studio Six.

A common source of occasional excessive hum in all tube amplifiers is faulty and/or worn-out vacuum tubes. Often times this will produce more
hum in either the left or right channel.  Swapping tubes and then listening, one-by-one,  is the test when this is suspected.

Finally, there should be essentially no variation in hum levels between Studio Six units of various AC supply voltage connections, and indeed not 
between different units otherwise --except, of course, given some inevitable variation in vacuum tubes.

Often times hum is produced by improperly connected and/or poorly grounded and/or inadequately shielded source equipment. The test for this is to
unplug all audio input cables from the Studio Six, and then turn the input selector switch to the 'mute' position. If the hum then goes away,
it was originating outside of the amplifier itself --this sort of thing is not at all uncommon :wink:

I hope that helps!

May 8, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #809 of 1,380
Would someone be kind enough to measure the dimensions of the amp itself. Want to see if it it will fit a specific rack.

Thank you in advance.

May 8, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #810 of 1,380
Would someone be kind enough to measure the dimensions of the amp itself. Want to see if it it will fit a specific rack.

Thank you in advance.

According to the data from the internet, (since I do not have the pleasure of owning the amp),

Dimensions
  • Width: 40 cm
  • Length: 29 cm
  • Height: 14 cm
  • Weight: 13 kg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back