The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jun 11, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #811 of 23,543
and with 2pins, it's a very easy fix when connector feels loose - just slightly bent the pin and... the cherry is back in :p

My fix is to pick a cable to sacrifice and super glue it to the flawed connector permanently haha.................

Jun 13, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #813 of 23,543
how does the u18 tzar compare to the zeus XRA in the bass section?

Jun 13, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #814 of 23,543
how does the u18 tzar compare to the zeus XRA in the bass section?

Zeus XRA bass is rather neutral (you hear it but don't feel it), while U18 w/M20 bass goes deeper with a more textured rumble and has a lot more impact in comparison to XRA bass. w/M15 you get less impact in comparison to M20, but still more in comparison to XRA. In my opinion U18 and XRA don't compete but rather compliment, they are in a different category.

Jun 13, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #815 of 23,543
Zeus XRA bass is rather neutral (you hear it but don't feel it), while U18 w/M20 bass goes deeper with a more textured rumble and has a lot more impact in comparison to XRA bass. w/M15 you get less impact in comparison to M20, but still more in comparison to XRA. In my opinion U18 and XRA don't compete but rather compliment, they are in a different category.

"textured rumble" may be the best description I could've imagined to describe the U18's bass, it is certainly in a class of its own. Have never heard any iems doing bass like how the U18 does.

Jun 14, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #816 of 23,543
and with 2pins, it's a very easy fix when connector feels loose - just slightly bent the pin and... the cherry is back in :p

Alright so if I am understanding all that I have read, pure copper wire has a better synergy with the A18? I have had my A18 for a few months now, and I've considered changing out the cables, but only if it is an actual upgrade from the 64 audio cable.... :L3000:

Jun 14, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #817 of 23,543
Alright so if I am understanding all that I have read, pure copper wire has a better synergy with the A18? I have had my A18 for a few months now, and I've considered changing out the cables, but only if it is an actual upgrade from the 64 audio cable.... :L3000:

The A18 makes cable differences quite noticeable, it will be worth it.

Jun 14, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #820 of 23,543
So what are some cable recommendations for the A18? It seems No5 is one such example. . .
After trying some cables, I can report No.5 is a good match with Tia Fourte as well. Though the highs are sink between the mids miserably.

Actually, most PWaudio cables provide a great value against other cables in same price level. PWaudio also focus more on sound tuning than changes in materials. I am very impressed from their cable (except 1960s, I know why people like it but I personally think it is not quite "literated".).

Jun 14, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #821 of 23,543
After trying some cables, I can report No.5 is a good match(no with Tia Fourte as well. Though the highs are sink between the mids miserably.

Actually, most PWaudio cables provide a great value against other cables in same price level. PWaudio also focus more on sound tuning than changes in materials. I am very impressed from their cable (except 1960s, I know why people like it but I personally think it is not quite "literated".).

oh I don't want to lose my highs! :anguished: (no pun intended)

Jun 14, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #822 of 23,543
oh I don't want to lose my highs! :anguished: (no pun intended)

That's why there is no such thing as "the best cable". We just share what's our own personal favorite, based on our own personal preference :wink: The way how I hear it with U18 w/M20, No5 gives you more bass and smoother upper frequencies. In comparison, Ares II has a little less bass impact and more sparkle in treble. Zen (by Han Sound audio) gives you almost as much low end impact (with a touch less texture in comparison to No5) and also as much sparkle as Ares II. All three are pure copper cables, cost $150 (all available from Music Sanctuary), and each one has it's own sound characteristics with subtle differences.

64audio_u18-40.jpg

Jun 14, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #823 of 23,543
That's why there is no such thing as "the best cable". We just share what's our own personal favorite, based on our own personal preference :wink: The way how I hear it with U18 w/M20, No5 gives you more bass and smoother upper frequencies. In comparison, Ares II has a little less bass impact and more sparkle in treble. Zen (by Han Sound audio) gives you almost as much low end impact (with a touch less texture in comparison to No5) and also as much sparkle as Ares II. All three are pure copper cables, cost $150 (all available from Music Sanctuary), and each one has it's own sound characteristics with subtle differences.

Hmm perhaps I do need the impact considering me M15 module cuts it down slightly..

Jun 14, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #824 of 23,543
Hmm perhaps I do need the impact considering me M15 module cuts it down slightly..

Yes the U18 is very sensitive to any change in the signal chain, cable included.

The Ares II+ provides a fair bit more bass impact than the Ares II and even a tiny bit more sparkle up top, top choice for people who'd like a warmer and smoother sound on the U18 without sounding the least bit dark. The T-metal also gives pretty decent bass impact together with lots of air but the sound becomes a fair bit "busier" if you get what I mean. I also like the Ref 8 paired with the U18 - very clean and "reference" sound - but that gives the least bass impact of the bunch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back