5670 W396a 2C51 6N3P tube thread
Mar 2, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #21 of 82
Thought about starting a new thread for these but I'll just continue with this necro thread for now.

I now have a bunch of different 5670 type tubes.

1. Western Electric (JW, D-Getter, Etc.)
  2. GE 5 Star Red Triple Mica
  3. GE 5 Star White Triple Mica
  4. GE Triple Mica (non 5 star, but sounds the same)
  5. Tung-Sol JTL-2C51
  6. RCA Command 5670
  7. Westinghouse 5670
  8. Sylvania JHS 2C51
  9. Motorola 5670 (internally identical to the CBS tubes--must have been made by CBS Industrial)
  10. Raytheon JAN 5670
  11. CBS JHY-2C51
  1. Sylvania Gold Brand
  2. CBS Industrial
  3. Sylvania JAN
  4. Raytheon CK5670
  5. Tung-Sol Halo
  6. GE JAN 5670

And a bunch of 6N2P-EV tubes with a couple adapter variants.

I would love to go about ranking them in great detail, but it's a project that is probably beyond the time I can commit. All I'm truly after myself are "what's my favorite" and "what's the best all-rounder that I can get for a reasonable price?"

My favorites are probably the Western Electrics (D getter--I can't hear a difference between the JW and non-JW). But for a slightly punchier bass and a little more air in the treble, any of the GE triple micas are awesome and are much cheaper than the WEs.

I have also tried out the Bendix 6385. If you need a little more detail and brightness in your life, these are pretty impressive. I'm too treble sensitive for them. Another good option for the same purpose are the Sylvania Gold Brand, which are also considerably cheaper than the Bendix. Halfway between the two in price and availability would be the CBS Industrial. Hard to find but quite good with gobs of detail.

I've not yet heard Tesla 6CC42 or new production JJ 6386 tubes. I probably won't anytime soon, as I'm focusing on availability and bang-for-the-buck.

I'm using these tubes in the MHDT Labs Atlantis DAC and that is going into Garage1217 Project Horizon, Sunrise, and Ember amplifiers. Being able to tune sound with tubes both in the dac and amp is awesome.

Tung-Sol 2C51 1958 D-Getter is rather good. Right up there with the big guns.

Smooth, authoritative, and detailed. It's not quite as full sounding as a Western Electric, which could be a good thing depending on your amp.

What I've largely found is that the rankings MHDT has are pretty accurate. They don't account for flavor, but you could probably plot out a spectrum of what each tube type delivers.

Bendix seems like it's the winner for detail, Western Electric for maximum enveloping tube sound, then there are quite a few somewhere in between.

Tung-Sol 2C51 is almost as smooth as the WE but has bigger (albeit looser) bass delivery and a little less lush sound.

GE Triple Mica isn't as smooth as the WE but has impactful (again looser) bass delivery and a bit more air (nowhere near Bendix).

Sylvania Gold Pin is airy with big bass punch and fairly bright highs (perhaps more treble even than Bendix).

CBS Industrial is pretty similar to the GE Triple Mica but with a little tighter bass (it belongs in the 2nd Class list) and a little less lushness.

RCA Command to my ears is warm like a Western Electric note for note but slightly less excellent overall (and available for less money).

Raytheon CK5670 is a very good all-around tube. Doesn't do anything wrong, but doesn't knock my socks off.

6N2P-EV (with adapter) combines excellent soundstage with powerful bass and slightly pushed-down treble.

Everything else I've tried is at least a tier below and isn't really bad, but you can find the above tubes for a great price if you look hard enough.

Mar 29, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #22 of 82
  Thought about starting a new thread for these but I'll just continue with this necro thread for now.

I now have a bunch of different 5670 type tubes.

1. Western Electric (JW, D-Getter, Etc.)
  2. GE 5 Star Red Triple Mica
  3. GE 5 Star White Triple Mica
  4. GE Triple Mica (non 5 star, but sounds the same)
  5. Tung-Sol JTL-2C51
  6. RCA Command 5670
  7. Westinghouse 5670
  8. Sylvania JHS 2C51
  9. Motorola 5670 (internally identical to the CBS tubes--must have been made by CBS Industrial)
  10. Raytheon JAN 5670
  11. CBS JHY-2C51
  1. Sylvania Gold Brand
  2. CBS Industrial
  3. Sylvania JAN
  4. Raytheon CK5670
  5. Tung-Sol Halo
  6. GE JAN 5670

And a bunch of 6N2P-EV tubes with a couple adapter variants.

I would love to go about ranking them in great detail, but it's a project that is probably beyond the time I can commit. All I'm truly after myself are "what's my favorite" and "what's the best all-rounder that I can get for a reasonable price?"

My favorites are probably the Western Electrics (D getter--I can't hear a difference between the JW and non-JW). But for a slightly punchier bass and a little more air in the treble, any of the GE triple micas are awesome and are much cheaper than the WEs.

I have also tried out the Bendix 6385. If you need a little more detail and brightness in your life, these are pretty impressive. I'm too treble sensitive for them. Another good option for the same purpose are the Sylvania Gold Brand, which are also considerably cheaper than the Bendix. Halfway between the two in price and availability would be the CBS Industrial. Hard to find but quite good with gobs of detail.

I've not yet heard Tesla 6CC42 or new production JJ 6386 tubes. I probably won't anytime soon, as I'm focusing on availability and bang-for-the-buck.

I'm using these tubes in the MHDT Labs Atlantis DAC and that is going into Garage1217 Project Horizon, Sunrise, and Ember amplifiers. Being able to tune sound with tubes both in the dac and amp is awesome.

Tung-Sol 2C51 1958 D-Getter is rather good. Right up there with the big guns.

Smooth, authoritative, and detailed. It's not quite as full sounding as a Western Electric, which could be a good thing depending on your amp.

What I've largely found is that the rankings MHDT has are pretty accurate. They don't account for flavor, but you could probably plot out a spectrum of what each tube type delivers.

Bendix seems like it's the winner for detail, Western Electric for maximum enveloping tube sound, then there are quite a few somewhere in between.

Tung-Sol 2C51 is almost as smooth as the WE but has bigger (albeit looser) bass delivery and a little less lush sound.

GE Triple Mica isn't as smooth as the WE but has impactful (again looser) bass delivery and a bit more air (nowhere near Bendix).

Sylvania Gold Pin is airy with big bass punch and fairly bright highs (perhaps more treble even than Bendix).

CBS Industrial is pretty similar to the GE Triple Mica but with a little tighter bass (it belongs in the 2nd Class list) and a little less lushness.

RCA Command to my ears is warm like a Western Electric note for note but slightly less excellent overall (and available for less money).

Raytheon CK5670 is a very good all-around tube. Doesn't do anything wrong, but doesn't knock my socks off.

6N2P-EV (with adapter) combines excellent soundstage with powerful bass and slightly pushed-down treble.

Everything else I've tried is at least a tier below and isn't really bad, but you can find the above tubes for a great price if you look hard enough.

I'm enjoying the GE Jan 5670 in my ifi iTube. First time trying this tube and it's very nice, clean and full-bodied. I gather from your post there are even better ones. 

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #23 of 82
Anyone can comment on the life span of a GE Jan 5670? Is it bad idea to leave it on all day?

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #25 of 82

I'm enjoying the GE Jan 5670 in my ifi iTube. First time trying this tube and it's very nice, clean and full-bodied. I gather from your post there are even better ones. 

Definitely! The GE JAN 5670 is a very competent tube for something that is dirt cheap. I prefer it to a lot of more expensive options.

That said, the direct upgrade in all ways is the GE 5670 Triple Mica (5 Star Red, White, or no stars at all--they are all the same). It's pretty much my favorite tube of the type after trying a ton of them--though I just got in some 6N3P-DR tubes and they're rocking so far. I'll try them head to head later on.

As for the life span, I believe they are something like 5000 hours. I don't leave my tube equipment on all the time, personally. Some people fear that turning them on and off can reduce their life, but this tube type is intended to be switched on and off and is very robust.

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #26 of 82
Thanks for the advice guys. I had exactly that conflicting notion about bad to keep it on and bad to turn it on and off. Sounds like using it when needed is the way to go. This tiny tube changed my mind about tube sound. I had a darkvoice 336 and rolled some 6SN7 and 6AS7. Nothing sounded as pristine as this. Granted I was a tube noob that didn't know better.

Wonder whether I could open up the iTube to try these other versions Luckbad mentioned.

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #27 of 82
Do you guys think GEJan 5670 is pretty bright and analytical? I found Russia 6n3P-E is much warm that it. 5670s work better with HD600. But it make my 598SE sounds harsh and numerical. Now with 6n3p-E, 598se are much more enjoyable.

Mar 30, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #28 of 82
  Do you guys think GEJan 5670 is pretty bright and analytical? I found Russia 6n3P-E is much warm that it. 5670s work better with HD600. But it make my 598SE sounds harsh and numerical. Now with 6n3p-E, 598se are much more enjoyable.

I can only speak for my one and only tube buffer. : P It's clean, transparent sounding yet added body and depth to the sound, with a tiny bit of smoothening out harshness. I don't know would that be considered bright in relation to others in its class. So I'm keen to know too.

Mar 30, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #29 of 82

I think it depends on the implementation of what you're using it in. Normally in the MHDT dacs, the GE JAN 5670 is fairly bass heavy, warm, full-bodied, and dark in the treble.

I have 6N3P-DR tubes as well and so far they are a bit brighter than the GE, though they are somewhat different internally than 6N3P-E.

If you want excellent soundstage, very good bass, and super smooth highs, the Western Electric D-getters are awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back