2359glenn | studio
Sep 27, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #4,996 of 39,986
I tried to take a shot with my ancient point and shoot camera.  Not fuzzy but the exposure drowns out the detail in the current meters.

The amp sounded good tonight.  I'm tempted to draw comparisons but it's too soon.  I played a little violin piece just before I quit tonight that stole my breath for a moment.  Total midrange magic.  It doesn't fully complement every type of music I'm finding but when it does it is awfully beguiling. 

I am brand new to manual bias so I didn't know what to expect.  Just changing the current from 32 to 34 mA on the 45s produced a pretty noticeable change in sound.  I thought running the tubes harder would make them sound edgy but that isn't what happens at all, it just sounds better all around with more current.  In the future I'll bump it up to 36 and eventually try out 38 as well which is where Glenn ran them.  He told me not to go above 40 and I have a suspicion that 40mA would probably halve the life of the tubes or worse since the general opinion is that even 38mA is running them hard.  It will be fun to experiment.

Sep 27, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #4,997 of 39,986
Congratulations Tyrell, what a fantastic looking amp!
Money very well spent, well done.

Glenn has done as always a first class job.

Eric well done!!!!!!!
Clayton you are ever so thoughtful and generous, you always come up with excellent ideas.

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #4,999 of 39,986
  I tried to take a shot with my ancient point and shoot camera.  Not fuzzy but the exposure drowns out the detail in the current meters.

The amp sounded good tonight.  I'm tempted to draw comparisons but it's too soon.  I played a little violin piece just before I quit tonight that stole my breath for a moment.  Total midrange magic.  It doesn't fully complement every type of music I'm finding but when it does it is awfully beguiling. 

I am brand new to manual bias so I didn't know what to expect.  Just changing the current from 32 to 34 mA on the 45s produced a pretty noticeable change in sound.  I thought running the tubes harder would make them sound edgy but that isn't what happens at all, it just sounds better all around with more current.  In the future I'll bump it up to 36 and eventually try out 38 as well which is where Glenn ran them.  He told me not to go above 40 and I have a suspicion that 40mA would probably halve the life of the tubes or worse since the general opinion is that even 38mA is running them hard.  It will be fun to experiment.

It looks wonderful Tyrell! Did Glenn mention any break in time?

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #5,000 of 39,986

Eric well done!!!!!!!
Clayton you are ever so thoughtful and generous, you always come up with excellent ideas.

Pure chance on my part. I was away for nearly a full 24 hours (Ooooo the withdrawal!  
biggrin.gif
 ) and logged in late last night. My return was rewarded by Clayton's generosity.

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #5,001 of 39,986
Sharing, may they be cookies, candies, dinners, beers, cities, towns, studios, amp rooms, photos, tubes, or words, is what this thread is all about.

Happy Friday!

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #5,004 of 39,986
+2

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #5,005 of 39,986
+596  
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #5,007 of 39,986
I did some calculations and discovered that my house is the exact central point of everyone's home location.  So, how about a 2359glenn get together next spring/summer in Cherry Hill, NJ?  That gives everyone time to plan their journey.

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #5,008 of 39,986
  I did some calculations and discovered that my house is the exact central point of everyone's home location.  So, how about a 2359glenn get together next spring/summer in Cherry Hill, NJ?  That gives everyone time to plan their journey.

beerchug.gif

I'm always ready for a meet!

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #5,009 of 39,986
David, that is very gracious of you. I would enjoy a get together. Hopefully schedules will allow.

Sep 27, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #5,010 of 39,986
David that's a great idea!
I hope you'll have video coverage for the rest of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back