1MORE Announces New Quad Driver IEM @ CES 2017
May 2, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #286 of 567
Take a look back through the thread a page or two. I compared them to Sony XBA Z5, Ety HF5.

I listen to everything from Classical, classic rock, Jazz, Celtic, Folk, select amounts of country music. About the only genre's I don't listen to are ones like dubstep and that sort of music.

May 2, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #287 of 567
Take a look back through the thread a page or two. I compared them to Sony XBA Z5, Ety HF5.

I listen to everything from Classical, classic rock, Jazz, Celtic, Folk, select amounts of country music. About the only genre's I don't listen to are ones like dubstep and that sort of music.
So no electronic music? What about female vocals? How do they sound?
How are the highs of the guitars in rock and wind instruments in jazz and classical?

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #288 of 567
I listen to a lot of Female vocals ranging from Fleetwood Mac, to Dianna Krall, Loreena McKennitt, Patricia Barber and more. I find the vocals to be very accurate tonally speaking and vibrant, catching lots of detail and emotion. Guitars have a nice level of crunch and grit without coming across as screechy. I do listen to a bit of electronic music but not enough to be a good person to talk about them. I find wind instruments like flutes and saxophone and such to be very well done by the Quad both in Jazz and classical.

May 4, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #289 of 567
I listen to electronic music heavily in my current mix and love these for it. The vocals are just emotional and clear. The bass is deep and extended. The treble is just airy and beautiful.

I think the balanced armature + diamond like carbon drivers really seem to be quite fast. Imaging is better than soundstage but there is a pretty decent soundstage. I think the imaging is what brings the 3D quality people are talking about.

For EDM, I prefer a fun neutral sound - that's what these are.

May 4, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #290 of 567
I listen to a lot of Female vocals ranging from Fleetwood Mac, to Dianna Krall, Loreena McKennitt, Patricia Barber and more. I find the vocals to be very accurate tonally speaking and vibrant, catching lots of detail and emotion. Guitars have a nice level of crunch and grit without coming across as screechy. I do listen to a bit of electronic music but not enough to be a good person to talk about them. I find wind instruments like flutes and saxophone and such to be very well done by the Quad both in Jazz and classical.

I listen to electronic music heavily in my current mix and love these for it. The vocals are just emotional and clear. The bass is deep and extended. The treble is just airy and beautiful.

I think the balanced armature + diamond like carbon drivers really seem to be quite fast. Imaging is better than soundstage but there is a pretty decent soundstage. I think the imaging is what brings the 3D quality people are talking about.

For EDM, I prefer a fun neutral sound - that's what these are.

One more question, what do you use to drive them?
How do they sound from a phone, PC or a simple DAP like the clip+?

May 4, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #291 of 567
One of the things that really made me fall in love with the Quad was the fact I could use it from any device without hassle and get as much functionality as the device offered. From my LG G4 phone I get as good a performance as I used to get from my XBA-Z5 running off of a Pono in balanced mode. I have tried the Quad on my Pono (not balanced as this would require special cables etc.) and the sound quality is comparable to my LG G4 (slightly different because the Pono is a bit leaner sounding DAP in general). I have also ran the Quad straight from my Surface Pro 3 at the office, my Acer 2 in 1 laptop at home, and my desktop computer using a Dac1 by itself or combined with a little tube amp. In all cases the Quad sounds good. The only real change I hear is the differences in the sources in regards to warmth and what not that they each bring to the table.

May 5, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #292 of 567
A lot of good has been said about these and deservedly so. I am not a pro reviewer by any means but after using these for a month now I can say they are the best I have owned. Previous best were Audio-Technica ATH-CKR10s. So let me first compare the Quads to those. Each has a 'reference' tone although I would say these are ever so slightly scooped; to me not a bad thing. The biggest improvement over the 10s is the soundstage. The 10s have always disappointed me; not so the Quads. The sound I would say is immersive without being gimmicky. Quality of materials and build of each are very nice; but the Quads are more comfortable and feel lighter. That was a nice surprise. I could never do much of anything while wearing the 10s due to the weight. Cable noise was always an issue with the 10s, not the Quads and how they made a cable that is resistant to tangling is magic.
All that really doesn't add much to what has already been said, so let me address one of the more debated topics; the bass end. Seems early in this thread some were claiming a lack of bass. The consensus later has been that since these have a more referenced tuning, the bass is just about right for those that want realistic reproduction and even if a tad lacking, the bass end is tight and responsive. Recently, I read a review that was quite positive; but actually declared that they are a bit bass biased; not sure how they decided that. To me the bass is about spot on. I think this is a good time to say that I am a bass player. That doesn't make me right, but it does give me a bit of cred. My go-to casual listening is a Victor Wooten Pandora station...a lot of bass players. To really test these out I listened to VW solo albums as well as has work with the Flecktones and even an LP he did with several other bass players, Bass Extremes. Add a bit of Jaco and Weather Report and I can say that the Quads reproduce the sound of a bass guitar very faithfully.
I listened not just to the bass end. Allison Krauss's voice sounds sweet through the Quads and Joe Satriani's guitar screams. Boston Pops is bombastic and Boston takes me back to my youth. Okay, getting a bit too sentimental. In the end it seems to be about definition. Whatever I throw at it, the Quads seem to deliver a sound that allows me to hear all of the components of whatever I am listening to. As one last test I used the Quads twice now while playing bass on stage. Monitoring is through an Aviom system. Those not familiar with it, this is a monitoring system which gives each user on a stage the ability to individually mix 12 channels. I can go into more details if anyone is reading this and is curious about the setup, but suffice it to say, the Quads came through. My bass sounds true and I can distinguish it Vs other instruments well enough to mix in more of everything than I normally do (bass, drums, percussionist, 3 guitars, keyboard, piano, multiple horns and vocals in this case).
So yes, I recommend these to anyone who wants to hear music as it was recorded. I also understand that not everyone is so picky. I never have owned the triples, but it sounds like if you are not so demanding or if you just like to hear the bass pumped up if not completely well defined, you could save a bit money. For me $200 seems to be a bargain. I even find these quite usable on stage. My hope is that 1More will produce an over the ear, removable cable style and if they can make one that is ready for custom molding and keep it at similarly disruptive pricing they will have a new market. I'll put in my pre-order now!

May 5, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #293 of 567
great post, I like the comparsion...

If 1More said they were making a Bluetooth Quad I would buy one tomorrow...

Last edited:
May 6, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #294 of 567
What tips are y'all using? I keep switching between multiple sets. It seems like the bass response can vary WILDLY depending on fit, too.

May 6, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #295 of 567
I was using the stock tips but for fun tried some UE tips from my UE700 and they also work very well and have a smidge more isolation. Sound wise both these tips sound about the same.

May 8, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #298 of 567
So my pair arrived today and I have been listening for a few hours. Pretty impressed.

First hands-on Impression:

These IEMS are pretty huge for being cable-down. Material quality is really good, but not entirely sure about the construction quality and design.
I do like how they look though, very sleek. Comfort is good at first but it starts to hurt pretty bad after ~45min.
The earphones have a shallow fit and so the piece kind of rests on your outer ear structure if that makes sense. Eventually your ears become sore from the pressure of the driver housings.

First sound Impression (RANT):

My audio chain is as follows; Win10-->Foobar2000-->WASAPI (event)-->FLAC-->Dragonfly v1.2-->Magni 2 Uber-->Headphone/Earphone

First, what I don't like...
There's some sort of audible disconnection between the dynamic driver and balanced armatures, the bass is figuratively and literally located behind the BA tweeters.
The bass however is veeery fast and controlled with lightning fast decay, probably too fast for its own good and definitely for my taste. Personally, I'm missing some bloom and reverb.

Sound profile is very much up "in your face", again, a bit too close for my taste. Eventually it becomes fatiguing, especially at a moderate to high volume.

Tonality is also a bit too bright, too lean and too vibrant. This makes the overall sound a little artifical and overly excited.

What I DO like!
Pretty good 3D sound. Sound stage width seems to be above average, depth is pretty darn good.
The height of the sound stage is where it falls just a little short, but it's not worse than any other IEM i've heard so it's not a big deal to me but it stands out compared to the above average width and excellent depth.
All in all, pretty outstanding considering it's a $199 closed IEM.

The 3D aspect is not as substantial as that of Nighthawk though, as I cannot make out the "shape" of sounds and instruments as I can through Nighthawk (thanks to its otherwordly imaging capabilities).
I can however sense how close the singer is and whatnot through the Quad, just have a harder time "seeing the contours" and placement of instruments and space inbetween those instruments etc.

If the sound stage on Nighthawk is like looking through a freaking cylinder, the Quad is like an arc, like looking through a ridiculously thick visor.

Imaging is pretty decent, but not amazing. It's better in the centre though, good constriction of vocals.

The detail retrieval and microdynamics are really, really good. Actually quite a bit better than HD650 (driven by Magni 2 Uber and Dragonfly) and almost a whole league above the Nighthawk.
The tuning seems to be a little north of neutral so that helps alot with digging into the mix and conveying microdetails.
Again, the flipside to this is that to my ears, it ends up sounding thinner than need be and just less natural.

The treble extension is quite refreshing, coming from HD650 and Nighthawk. Every sound emitted has air and it sounds effortless and free, but I honestly think it's a bit much sometimes.
I'd personally like more a slightly thicker and little less breathy quality to the sound signature.

When I think about it, this is like the anti-thesis to the Nighthawk.
Nighthawk is very distant sounding, like you're sitting 9 feet from two huge old-school wood floorstanders while the Quad is very present, like sitting at your desk with (mostly) neutral near-field monitors 3 feet away
The Nighthawk is also the opposite of airy and Quad is kind of very airy. In terms of quantity, the bass is overdone in Nighthawk and a little undercooked in the Quad. The Nighthawk is very liquid sounding and has very good macrodynamics I'd say, while the Quad is pretty dry and has very good microdynamics.
You can hear much more and deeper into a mix through the Quads than through the Nighthawk, but what "little" is there on the Nighthawk is just more quality and natural-sounding.

With the addition of the Quad, I can have the best of both worlds and experience a song in two completely different ways!

Fast description of the frequency areas:

Bass: Very fast decay, a bit lean as in not enough quantity, pretty good extension, A bit fuzzy/scattered/ill-defined sounding. Decent quality but lacks that last bit in texture and tightness... Don't confuse decay with tightness. I would like a bit more snap and power. 7/10

Mids: Quite dry and vibrant. Vocals are forward as ****, coming from Nighthawk. Other parts may be a little recessed, but only a bit. Good quality, but needs to take one step back and dial down the brightness a notch. Very articulate! 8/10

Highs: Extended to the stars and then some. Probably. There's no shortage of air if you ask me. Everything sounds quite effortless and freed up. Personally I would reduce the amount of air that surrounds every instrument by a smidge and put some of that energy into the lower mids to give some heft and body to the overall sound.
All in all, I can't find any apparent faults, which is a compliment as the highs in earphones usually are plagued by horrible peaks and sibilance. 7.5/10

Another description would be: Imagine a HD650 if it had no treble roll-off, more even and better extension into the lows, less energy in the mid-bass and a more filled out soundstage with 3D capability.

If I didn't know that the Quad driver is $199, I would have thought the Quad were a ~$350-400 earphone. Disgustingly huge value.

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #300 of 567
@Bitsir they're fatiguing from their shape? Did you try other tips? or is it possible to rotate them so the cable will go over the ear?
Yes, the shape, weight and general size of the housing is hard on the ears. The fit is shallow so it is literally resting on your ear cartilage. The sound is a little fatiquing too, but I'm quite treble sensitive too so take that into the equation.

I have actually not tried any other tips yet, but I doubt it will help with the pain issue.

I don't think the shape and design allow for a practical cable-over-the-ear wearing situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back