Zorloo ZuperDAC Review by mark2410
Jun 14, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #46 of 146

Before you return it, make sure to try it out with some of your less low impedence gear and report back how it sounds.

Will do for sure. I own the previous ESS Sabre chip (9023, the same used on the previous dragonfly also), so will compare.

compared to iphone zuperdac is studio quality, dragonfly is probably good too

I don't understand your post. Did you A-B tested a Zuperdac next to an iPhone? Wich model? You know the zuperdac is only an implementation of an ESS Sabre chip?

The Dragonfly also has a Sabre chip, but I believe it is better implemented (lower output impedance)

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #47 of 146
iphone 5c and iphone 5s new iphones while sound good zuperdac is better in quality but there are other things like anything might be ressessed or more of that might make it not good for you. but ye iphone 5c sounds differrent to zuperdac but for me better than iphone 5c 5s or any iphone, iphones dont have that good of dac and amp in it compared to zuperdac. oppo ha2 uses two dacs and amps, dragonfly is 20 euro more and ye may be also good. zuperdac stops playing on very loud volume, one volume down and it plays. if i use extra 5v or from laptom it plays. but for 80 euro its good. you have ba iems you have differrent use so may be dragonfly be better for your iems, i didnt ab dragonfly to zuperdac ive no need for a dac i like this one. if anyone wants me to send a dragonfly to compare i can do, i can even swop dragonfly for zuperdac i have two hihi

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #48 of 146
if anyone wants me to send a dragonfly to compare i can do, i can even swop dragonfly for zuperdac i have two hihi

Yeah, I like my zuperdac enough that I got two as well (one for laptop, one for phone).
beerchug.gif

Jun 24, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #50 of 146
Jun 25, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #51 of 146

My one is one the way, cant wait :)  

Btw, do you still have your Zen 1.0's? Last night I was listening to them off of the ZuperDAC (and Samsung S5) and it was rather eargasmic. I kept thinking "but the Zen 1.0's need an amp to shine, so why do they sound so great off of the ZuperDAC?". Who knows.. maybe it was the vino. Either way, I love those 1'0s' (and the zuper).

Anyway, I'll be really interested in your impressions and how your phone + zuperdac stacks up to the X7 (or any other DACs that you've tried). I'm pretty sure that for $79 you'll agree that the zuperdac is an awesome deal. We'll see!

Jun 25, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #52 of 146

Btw, do you still have your Zen 1.0's? Last night I was listening to them off of the ZuperDAC (and Samsung S5) and it was rather eargasmic. I kept thinking "but the Zen 1.0's need an amp to shine, so why do they sound so great off of the ZuperDAC?". Who knows.. maybe it was the vino. Either way, I love those 1'0s' (and the zuper).

Anyway, I'll be really interested in your impressions and how your phone + zuperdac stacks up to the X7 (or any other DACs that you've tried). I'm pretty sure that for $79 you'll agree that the zuperdac is an awesome deal. We'll see!

Yes I do have the Zen 1.0 still, and can't wait to hear how they sound together. I purposefully have not read up too much on the ZuperDAC as it is a sample and before I start reviewing it I want to go in with a clean slate as it were :)

I hope it gets here soon.

Jun 26, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #53 of 146
zuperdac is 4 ohms for 32 ohms so it is sort of an amp, iphone is 2 ohms for 16 ohms headphones. ye for money best, i had cozoy dacs ak10 fiio all rather *****. whoops i said it. on iphones stops playing on full volume, and no gradual volume no other defects for me. i dont care how it pairs with ba iems i dont own any, for ba may be get dragonfly dac which seems to be also nice and cost only 20 euro more and is better for being more voltage efficient needs less voltage.

Jun 27, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #54 of 146
ZuperDAC
== Unboxing & Initial Impressions ==
 ​
 ​

Unboxing the ZuperDAC

​
Initial Impressions

Been playing with the ZuperDAC for the better part of the day and I wanted to post my thoughts on them so far. First, thanks to the fine folks at Zorloo for giving me a chance to check these bad boys out! 

It comes in a rather no fuss box, very tastefully adorned but suitably tough to protect the delicate innards. Upon unboxing it , you are greeted by the product sheet and the goods front and centre. And oh my what a sight to behold. They are literally at the same color as my laptop!

In the hands it feels smooth in texture and construction and clearly no shortcuts were taken with the build quality - clearly all your money is going towards the dac itself, not some fancy packaging you are bound to forget about anyway. For a device of this footprint, it has a surprising weight to it, and I mean that in the best way possible. This does not feel like a cheap toy at all. This is meant to be a serious device for the discerning listener.

For macs (lol whats an audio driver?
cool.gif
) it is as simple as plug and play. A little LED turns on indicating the DAC is engaged. Unlike some other dacs I have use, this unit has yet to get exceedingly hot after me pushing them hard for some time. Again these are early days yet, but thus far these seem to be very well engineered. I am definitely impressed by the thought that has gone into it's design construction. 

So.... they look good and feel good, but how do they sound?

Honestly I just received these today and I don't know if I have enough hours on these to comment on them definitely. But here is the thing - my daily drivers are the FiiO X7 and LH Geek Out V2, and listening to the ZuperDAC, I don't feel I am getting a massive downgrade or that I am missing out on anything and thats what surprised me the most....

In fact, I found myself actually listening and enjoying my music rather than attempting to dissect every detail and evaluate every aspect of the sound. But I will say that the ZuperDAC is very natural sounding with a very musical character to it. Does that mean its rolled off and bassy? Of course not! It sports a natural, detailed and engaging sound with impressive resolution, but more so - it has this addicting and effortless sound signature that has me digging through my music collection to test my favourite tracks. You might think these have that traditional sabre glare, but so far it hasn't reared its ugly head yet. In fact, it has a rather nice and full natural bass response compared to the relatively anemic FiiO X7 and Geek Out V2.

Overall, no glaring weakness or downsides from my initial listening hours. But lordy am I getting a kick out of listening to them. I was initially going to do a comparison with my other dacs (FiiO X7, E17K, LH Geek Out V2 and SMSL M3).  However that plan went right out the window the moment I plugged in my Havi B3 Pro 1 and loaded up my favourite track, which at the moment is We are the ones to fall by Santa Monica.

If You can't tell already, I am absolutley smitten by how the ZuperDAC sounds and my first impression is that it sounds as capable as my higher end gear, but it adds that touch of musically that my other gears lacking, relatively speaking of course. I did notice however that I had to push the volume near its limit to drive stuff like my 320 ohm VE Zen 1, so I do wish this unit had more headroom in terms of volume. Then again we are talking about something the size of a USB thumbstick so it's not a deal breaker either.

Am I saying that it beats my top end stuff? No, of course not, more so because I honestly haven't had the time to properly A/B against all my toys yet. Frankly, I am having way too much fun with the ZuperDAC and the hard work can wait till later :p

For now, I am off to musical bliss: 

A big thanks to my good friend @WaynesWorld for bringing this device to my attention. Good call bud :)  Definitely worth the wait!!

I will update with more impressions as things progress. Thanks for reading my ramblings 
wink.gif

EDIT: I forgot to mention that these have an Output Impedance of 4 Ohms. 

Jun 28, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #55 of 146
This is good advice fro the dragonfly thread... the zuperdac via usb audio player pro on my S5 sounds stellar and much better than using the android drivers:

"Hey man, welcome to the thread. Ok, I'm going to speak solely for your galaxy s5. Download the trial of usb audio player pro. Through that app connect to Tidal, set the hardware volume at about 70% and turn down the player volume. Start your FLAC music and gradually turn up the volume. Volume is completely different, and sound quality is majorly different. The reds digital volume control is not playing nice with Android drivers at the moment. In addition, the android drivers are negatively affecting the output to any DAC connected to an Android device. UAPP app, as well as Onkyo Hf player use their own drivers to bring the best out of your dac. For Tidal streaming, UAPP is the only way to go. Try that and report back with thoughts or any questions. It's worth the price once you get passed the trial. Happy listening"

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #56 of 146
For those using the ZuperDAC with Android smartphone, does it significantly drain the battery?

@mark2410 did mention in his review that it does drain the battery a lot but he was streaming his music and had the screen on half the time.  I won't be streaming.

Jun 30, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #60 of 146
Buy zuperdac and dragonfly and compare two, with daps like fiio x3 you often pay for redundancies like lcd processor, software and then dac and amp. with dac you just pay for dac and amp. software is clunky on daps too, no soundcloud, no apps etc. some daps have android on it like sony daps but thats like buying ipod touch with a better dac, rather dinosaur technology buy buy what you like

Users who are viewing this thread

Back