Zorloo ZuperDAC Review by mark2410
May 21, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #31 of 146
Ok , am new to Paypal so here is another question, bear with me :p

I don't have a Paypal account, but the zorloo site redirects to paypal for payment where we can either use our account, or directly use our credit/debit card for payment.

So if i opt for direct credit/debit payment, will i still be covered under the Paypal's buyer protection program ?

Sorry for bugging you a lot, and thanks for your patience :)

May 21, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #32 of 146
nope you need paypal account, if you pay without paypal account only using bank card its like giving away money and if seller doesnt post that would be it and your bank wont give any money back. thats why there is paypal because it protects buyers. which is why most sellers sell with paypal because customers feel that they will get money back if they dont receive items.

Jun 8, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #33 of 146
Jun 8, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #34 of 146

Mark, why can't I find any mention of the output impedance in your review? A cheap Sandisk player will have under 1 ohm impedance. The Zorloo DAC has 7 ohm and it can cause problem with many IEM. Why did you omit this important point? Maybe because you got the DAC for free..

Don't you think that you could have left off the accusation until after Mark responded?

Sheesh.

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #35 of 146

Mark, why can't I find any mention of the output impedance in your review? A cheap Sandisk player will have under 1 ohm impedance. The Zorloo DAC has 7 ohm and it can cause problem with many IEM. Why did you omit this important point? Maybe because you got the DAC for free..

no, i omitted it because its not something i consider to be of any importance whatsoever, if you read any / all of my reviews of DAC's and amps i never mention it.  it is to me an essentially useless figure as it bares no relationship to how well or not something will sound or pair up. 

Don't you think that you could have left off the accusation until after Mark responded?

Sheesh.

well he can be as accusatory as he likes, dont know why he cares about it or why so hostile but i guess some people are just naturally acerbic.

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #36 of 146

Sheesh.

You are right. I jumped the gun way too quick. But that's because I just bought the zuperdac after reading mark's review, but then I read zelda's review here  = http://www.head-fi.org/products/zorloo-zuperdac/reviews/14828 and instantly realized I shouldn't have spend the 70$ 

I mean look at that frequency response when connected to a multi-BA IEM, its really bad:

no, i omitted it because its not something i consider to be of any importance whatsoever

Mark I don't want to sound personal, but I just cant understand how the output impedance of a DAC is not important enough to mention on a audiophile website like head-fi.
Maybe on CNET readers don't care about that stuff but I think here its important.

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #37 of 146

You are right. I jumped the gun way too quick. But that's because I just bought the zuperdac after reading mark's review, but then I read zelda's review here  = http://www.head-fi.org/products/zorloo-zuperdac/reviews/14828 and instantly realized I shouldn't have spend the 70$ 

I mean look at that frequency response when connected to a multi-BA IEM, its really bad:

and how do they sound together?

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #38 of 146

Mark I don't want to sound personal, but I just cant understand how the output impedance of a DAC is not important enough to mention on a audiophile website like head-fi.
Maybe on CNET readers don't care about that stuff but I think here its important.

because there is no direct relationship to the audio output.  if you know the impedence you in no way know the effect it will have on any given ear/headphone

Jun 8, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #39 of 146
its better than iphone

Jun 9, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #40 of 146
  because there is no direct relationship to the audio output.  if you know the impedence you in no way know the effect it will have on any given ear/headphone

There is a direction relation... its electrics 101 (U = R*I, voltage is direct result of impedance)
So there can be a vast difference in volume between different frequencies. There won't be distortion but it can changes the sound signature of an headphone completely.

"The greater the output impedance, the greater the frequency response deviations. Different headphones will interact in different, and typically unpredictable, ways with the source. Sometimes these variations can be large and plainly audible."

I already own a hifimediy sabre, so will make the comparaison and post here when I do receive the ZuperDAC. But its probably going back for refund, and I will order the new dragonfly instead.

Jun 9, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #41 of 146

There is a direction relation... its electrics 101 (U = R*I, voltage is direct result of impedance)
So there can be a vast difference in volume between different frequencies. There won't be distortion but it can changes the sound signature of an headphone completely.

"The greater the output impedance, the greater the frequency response deviations. Different headphones will interact in different, and typically unpredictable, ways with the source. Sometimes these variations can be large and plainly audible."

I already own a hifimediy sabre, so will make the comparaison and post here when I do receive the ZuperDAC. But its probably going back for refund, and I will order the new dragonfly instead.

your right in that soemtimes these differences can be large and audible (though a 7ohm difference i dont think is likely to make considerable difference) my point remains that you cannot say what acoustic changes there will be based on the output impedance.  the fact is there may be a change, there may not, and if there is a change you can in no way predict what that change will be.

so saying what the impedance is is akin to saying different earphones will respond differently to the thing, which to me seems like stating that water is wet.  different things pair and respond differently to different things in a way that stating the impedance in now way makes predictable.  so like i said, i consider it to be a meaningless number.

Jun 9, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #42 of 146
  your right in that soemtimes these differences can be large and audible (though a 7ohm difference i dont think is likely to make considerable difference) 

The graph I just posted above from Zelda's review shows up to 4db difference at 10khz. To the human ear, -3db means half the sound power. And that is just with a specific IEM that Zelda used. Some IEM with even less impedance will be affected even greatly.

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

so saying what the impedance is is akin to saying different earphones will respond differently to the thing, which to me seems like stating that water is wet. 

A DAC/AMP doesnt have to be unpredictable. With an output impedance close to 0 ohms,, the sound signature will be the same with all different headphones. Thats why it is preferable. Not difficult to understand.

Jun 9, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #43 of 146

The graph I just posted above from Zelda's review shows up to 4db difference at 10khz. To the human ear, -3db means half the sound power. And that is just with a specific IEM that Zelda used. Some IEM with even less impedance will be affected even greatly.

A DAC/AMP doesnt have to be unpredictable. With an output impedance close to 0 ohms,, the sound signature will be the same with all different headphones. Thats why it is preferable. Not difficult to understand.

and can you tell me in any predictable way the effect it will have on any given ear or headphone?  no. 

additionally, what you mean is, its preferable to you.

Jun 9, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #44 of 146

Before you return it, make sure to try it out with some of your less low impedence gear and report back how it sounds.

I don't have any BA driver gear, and everything else sounds awesome off of the zuperdac (to me).

Jun 10, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #45 of 146
compared to iphone zuperdac is studio quality, dragonfly is probably good too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back