Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Aug 3, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #4,021 of 6,090
  If the Tenore isn't considered a 'giant killer' then nothing deserves that label.  I paid $1150 for the TG334, if I remember correctly, and got the Tenore shipped for roughly $50.  I'm certainly not saying it does all things as good or better than the TG334 but I'd certainly say the treble timbre is better; not sure I'd go any further than that though. A lot of thought and design went into the TG334; I'd not expect the Tenore to beat it at transparency, inner dynamics and head stage, things I thought the TG334 beat the 1+2 at but simple tonality is really hard to beat on the Tenore, even compared to many legendary IEMs.

^
Here's another P.O.V, maybe those TOTL gears just ain't as exclusive as it use to be due to the crazy advances of IEM tech in the past few short years??? I still remember spazzing ova' the JVC FX40s and FX101 FOTM hype like it was yesterday yesteryear to be exact and looking back in comparisons to today's hyped IEMs, the IEM world has come a longgggg way regarding price to performance ratio esp. with the current crop of budget-fi hybrids springing from everywhere.

A good example is the VSonic GR07 that was lauded as a "giant killer", but now we have those Ostry KC06 killa's for a fraction of the price of those "giant killers". So in essence we have a giant killers killa' that i am more than happy with and prefers over my VSonic GR07 BEs.

Competition is getting as fierce as ever from brands all over the world esp. in the Chinese market and big names of the past (Sony, ATH, JVC, etc) just can't pass muster no mores if they ain't bringing the heat with true innovation cuz audio enthusiast are getting wiser and more picky. Like any niche hobby/product there will always be people willing to throw cash at TOTL stuff due to many factors that is not always performance related/dependent so..... niche within a niche cuz of the allure of exclusivity like Rolex watches if you have the cash to burn and is within your means ain't really a bad thing per se.

It's an amazing tyme to be in the audio hobby that's fo' sho.
gs1000.gif

Aug 3, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #4,022 of 6,090

Yes, some of the more budgetted iems now are probably up to the level of the flavor of the month of the yesterday.  What is intersting is the better performers that pop up now is from less known companies.  Fitear, Hidition, Tralucent, and many more. I'm thinking it's exciting times right now because these companies are exploring and coming up with new ways of pushing the sonic quality.  I think the tech of iems are more unknown and unexplored than cans.

Aug 3, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #4,024 of 6,090
I've never heard the ER4, so that comparison doesn't really do anything for me. I've owned the 334 for awhile, really loved the midrange but had issues with the midbass being too domineering and issues with its treble. (Also the cost/performance ratio wasn't there for me) In the end I felt the 334 was perhaps too specialized and limited in terms of versatility to hang onto such an expensive phone. That aside, it's been too long since I've heard it so I'd genuinely be interested in someone articulating the differences between the two. I've actually been wanting to revisit the 334 for some time now to see whether my thoughts on it have changed in any way.

Anywho, I don't subscribe to the notion that detail is exponentially better moving across price brackets. Not the sort of detail that most people describe anyway (the usual: coughs in the audience, fingers on strings, lips parsing, singers taking breaths etc. I could pick that out on an EarPod if we're being blunt) Ditto with separation to an extent. I do believe in drastic differences in note weight/thickness, micro and macro dynamics, imaging and layering and especially tonal balance and character adding up to make one phone sound more convincing than another, however.

This is a travesty. You must hear the ER4S my friend.

Aug 3, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #4,025 of 6,090
I've had the ER-6. I'm sure the ER4 sounds damn good, but the insertion depth required to hit the reference plane is way too uncomfortable for me. I used to use the foamies with my ER6 and the insolation/clarity was stellar but yeah... Felt like my ears were being violated

Aug 3, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #4,027 of 6,090
Would you kind enough to do a quick comparison between Tenore, MH1 and the ER4? 
I am considering to pick the ER4 up even though they are little bit more expensive  than asian budget IEM's

The ER4S has much less bass than the MH1 and maybe 6db less bass than the Tenore. Mids are slightly more forward on the ER4S than both Tenore and MH1, but are somewhat similar overall. Treble is linear and very good on all three iems.

Where the ER4S really excels imo is reliability. It always sounds as it should, something that can't really be said about the Tenore and to a lesser extent the MH1.

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #4,028 of 6,090
Would you kind enough to do a quick comparison between Tenore, MH1 and the ER4? 
I am considering to pick the ER4 up even though they are little bit more expensive  than asian budget IEM's

The ER4S has much less bass than the MH1 and maybe 6db less bass than the Tenore. Mids are slightly more forward on the ER4S than both Tenore and MH1, but are somewhat similar overall. Treble is linear and very good on all three iems.

Where the ER4S really excels imo is reliability. It always sounds as it should, something that can't really be said about the Tenore and to a lesser extent the MH1.

Indeed. Er4 is tried and true. And well backed by etymotic with issues that do arise.

Mh1 is warmer but superb treble, if a bit more energetic than the other two. Tenore (a reference set) is in between as gnarlsagan said with the bass being pretty flat while the treble is essentialy linear with only slight softness in attack or presence, but relative to most iems very superb treble.
The er4 is why i'm here. It is very linear where it excels. Mids and treble. There is a slight 2-3khz bump that can add a bit of what i think of as "honkiness" to some music, but red filters eliminate this. The main downfalls of the er 4s are the lower bass and deep fit.the tenore clearly suffers from build quality/consistency. The mh1 is a cable from hell. It's like wearing the spawn of satan around your neck.

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #4,029 of 6,090
  A good example is the VSonic GR07 that was lauded as a "giant killer", but now we have those Ostry KC06 killa's for a fraction of the price of those "giant killers". So in essence we have a giant killers killa' that i am more than happy with and prefers over my VSonic GR07 BEs.

I hate it when I agree with you
tongue.gif

I love it when I disagree with you and get your second had stuff as a result (ie Phillips X1's)
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #4,031 of 6,090
Good post guys good post. However, wowowow buddy, my GR07 BE vs the KC06 I tried was a good showing but I think the low end was in Vsonics favor there. The KC06 was never loaned back to me(which really sucks) and I never tried the KC06A but I will say the KC06 is a very good value sound wise IMO. Overall build I think goes to the Vsonic....

I'll be interested how some of you guys hear the Tpeos Altone 200 mids vs Tenore. I should be getting the replacement today :)

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #4,033 of 6,090

No it's not travesty, if you remember I'm a huge fan of the ER4S myself until I heard something better. I'm entitled to my opinion and you're entitled to yours my friend. My best advice is to have an open mind and go and experience what you have not experienced and learn from it. To be honest, I'm always learning new things everyday as I listen more.....no one can claim that they know everything and their opinion is the ultimate mantra to the audio world but to call other people's opinion a travesty, you sound like someone who knows everything.....hmmm.....the point of being in this community is to share your experiences so that all of us can discover new things in a constructive and collective manner. Let's encourage growth and not stagnate it by having our ego taking over. I recall many who have the sour grape syndrome.

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #4,034 of 6,090

No it's not travesty, if you remember I'm a huge fan of the ER4S myself until I heard something better. I'm entitled to my opinion and you're entitled to yours my friend. My best advice is to have an open mind and go and experience what you have not experienced and learn from it. To be honest, I'm always learning new things everyday as I listen more.....no one can claim that they know everything and their opinion is the ultimate mantra to the audio world but to call other people's opinion a travesty, you sound like someone who knows everything.....hmmm.....the point of being in this community is to share your experiences so that all of us can discover new things in a constructive and collective manner. Let's encourage growth and not stagnate it by having our ego take over.

Wow I never thought of it like that. I always just assumed that the only valid opinion in here was mine. I feel so deflated.

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #4,035 of 6,090

No it's not travesty, if you remember I'm a huge fan of the ER4S myself until I heard something better. I'm entitled to my opinion and you're entitled to yours my friend. My best advice is to have an open mind and go and experience what you have not experienced and learn from it. To be honest, I'm always learning new things everyday as I listen more.....no one can claim that they know everything and their opinion is the ultimate mantra to the audio world but to call other people's opinion a travesty, you sound like someone who knows everything.....hmmm.....the point of being in this community is to share your experiences so that all of us can discover new things in a constructive and collective manner. Let's encourage growth and not stagnate it by having our ego taking over. I recall many who have the sour grape syndrome.

LOL. Gnarl's being sarcastic. A trait that strangely enough, seems to escape many a person on this forum. He's a friend, we joke sometimes :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back