Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Aug 3, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #4,007 of 6,090
I finally got myself a pair of reference sounding Tenore when I was in Tokyo. I discovered that the non-reference pair is not only bass accentuated but the highs are also rolled off much sooner than the reference pair. The output of the reference pair is slightly hotter as well. Transient impact of the reference pair is better too. This adds to the Tenore variance so far. Honestly, the reference sounding Tenore truly performs way above it's price point and I'm finally impressed with the Tenore.

Besides the Tenore, I also got myself a pair of FitEar ToGo 334...thanks to AnakChan who went out of his way to take me to Fujiya Avic where I got my ToGo 334 which is in short supply in Tokyo. In fact I got the last pair in Tokyo...it almost feels like hitting the jackpot...lol. Everywhere else is sold out on the ToGo 334 until next production batch. The pairing of the Spiral Dot tips with ToGo 334 exudes details that's simply jaw dropping.

Aug 3, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #4,008 of 6,090
Comparison impressions. 

popcorn.gif

Aug 3, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #4,009 of 6,090
Totally no comparison SilverEars....the details from the TG334 with the large Spiral Dot tips is way beyond Tenore but then again it's not fair to compare them since the Tenore and the TG334 is priced so far apart. Like I said, the Tenore truly perform way above it's price point but no....the Tenores are not giant killers.

The Tenores are not selling as well as the Doppios in Japan according to the sales staff at the store. The Doppios is out of stock so I didn't get to test it. In fact the Tenores are going on sale in a few stores in Tokyo.

In short....you get what you pay for but at times you really get more than what you pay for eg. the Tenores.

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #4,010 of 6,090
Totally no comparison SilverEars....the details from the TG334 with the large Spiral Dot tips is way beyond Tenore but then again it's not fair to compare them since the Tenore and the TG334 is priced so far apart. Like I said, the Tenore truly perform way above it's price point but no....the Tenores are not giant killers.

The Tenores are not selling as well as the Doppios in Japan according to the sales staff at the store. The Doppios is out of stock so I didn't get to test it. In fact the Tenores are going on sale in a few shops in Tokyo.

In short....you get what you pay for but at times you really get more than what you pay for eg. the Tenores.

Please elaborate. Genuinely very interested in how detailing on the 334 is way beyond that found on the Tenore.

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #4,012 of 6,090
If the Tenore isn't considered a 'giant killer' then nothing deserves that label.  I paid $1150 for the TG334, if I remember correctly, and got the Tenore shipped for roughly $50.  I'm certainly not saying it does all things as good or better than the TG334 but I'd certainly say the treble timbre is better; not sure I'd go any further than that though. A lot of thought and design went into the TG334; I'd not expect the Tenore to beat it at transparency, inner dynamics and head stage, things I thought the TG334 beat the 1+2 at but simple tonality is really hard to beat on the Tenore, even compared to many legendary IEMs.

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #4,013 of 6,090
If the Tenore isn't considered a 'giant killer' then nothing deserves that label.  I paid $1150 for the TG334, if I remember correctly, and got the Tenore shipped for roughly $50.  I'm certainly not saying it does all things as good or better than the TG334 but I'd certainly say the treble timbre is better; not sure I'd go any further than that though. A lot of thought and design went into the TG334; I'd not expect the Tenore to beat it at transparency, inner dynamics and head stage, things I thought the TG334 beat the 1+2 at but simple tonality is really hard to beat on the Tenore, even compared to many legendary IEMs.

Different strokes for different folks im afraid.

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #4,014 of 6,090
I totally understand what you mean shotgunshane. In fact I had the same impression like you when I first tested the TG334 with the stock tips. It took me several months of testing them on many occasions until I finally took the plunge. Do yourself a favor....if you still have the TG334....and do some tips rolling. The large Spiral Dot tips works very well for me in extending the upper highs to ER4 level. You'll be surprised with what the TG334 can deliver. Check my post on the TG334 thread for more details.

Aug 3, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #4,015 of 6,090

Different strokes for different folks im afraid.

This is the excuse for all things head-fi and is meaningless to me. I'm ok with people explaining why they prefer or think something performs better. As long as I can understand why you come from where you come from, then viva la difference and all that.

I totally understand what you mean shotgunshane. In fact I had the same impression like you when I first tested the TG334 with the stock tips. It took me several months of testing them on many occasions until I finally took the plunge. Do yourself a favor....if you still have the TG334....and do some tips rolling. The large Spiral Dot tips works very well for me in extending the highs to ER4 level. You'll be surprised with what the TG334 can deliver. Check my post on the TG334 thread for more details.

Oh I owned the TG334 for close to a year. It's a great iem and highly recommend it for the right application/person. I preferred ortofon and PFE tips. But, for me, that doesn't take away from how technically good the Tenore can be (depending on luck of the QC draw, which is its real downfall). This isn't meant as a stab at the TG334. It has mids to die for IMO, and will always hold a special place in my heart.

Aug 3, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #4,016 of 6,090
This is the excuse for all things head-fi and is meaningless to me. I'm ok with people explaining why they prefer or think something performs better. As long as I can understand why you come from where you come from, then viva la difference and all that.

That is a good point, and I understand why people would view it as an excuse. However, for me, I'd rather have an excuse for a certain claims instead of bickering about earphone x being better than earphone y for such reasons and then causing a commotion in a thread over it. (This is not implying that anyone here was arguing, but I've seen it at other threads like the discovery thread a few times.)

However, your post summed it up for me and I thank you. 
redface.gif
 That's what my "strokes for different folks" meant, but I assumed people would understand, my mistake.

It's unfortunate that the tenores have a QC issue. If it weren't for that, I'd purchase one. I'll see if I can figure out a way to contact zero audio @japan regarding this matter. Until then, happy listening headfiers.

Aug 3, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #4,017 of 6,090

That is a good point, and I understand why people would view it as an excuse. However, for me, I'd rather have an excuse for a certain claims instead of bickering about earphone x being better than earphone y for such reasons and then causing a commotion in a thread over it. (This is not implying that anyone here was arguing, but I've seen it at other threads like the discovery thread a few times.)

However, your post summed it up for me and I thank you. :xf_eek:  It's unfortunate that the tenores have a QC issue, if it weren't for that, I'd purchase one. I'll see if I can figure out a way to contact zero audio @japan regarding this matter. Until then, happy listening headfiers.

I can understand that point of view. I don't intend to argue just for the sake of arguing. I just wanted to explore a completely different thought around a specific parameter and I respect Francisk's thoughts. I guess it can be a fine line between having a reasonable disagreement and chaotic thread derailment at times. Anyway it's all good for me and in my mind just a healthy disagreement.

Aug 3, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #4,019 of 6,090
People have compared tenors to other iem and how it beats them at given price point, I think its fair to compare other iems where it shows also weakness of tenors, irrespective of price.

Yup, it provides a more realistic assessment of the Tenores.  We should not hide the weakness the Tenores has.  Is it fair to compare in regards to pricing, no, but when a well performing iem is compared, it does reveal weaknesses.

Aug 3, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #4,020 of 6,090
I posted it under the ToGo 334 thread. Check my post history and it'll link you there.

I've never heard the ER4, so that comparison doesn't really do anything for me. I've owned the 334 for awhile, really loved the midrange but had issues with the midbass being too domineering and issues with its treble. (Also the cost/performance ratio wasn't there for me) In the end I felt the 334 was perhaps too specialized and limited in terms of versatility to hang onto such an expensive phone. That aside, it's been too long since I've heard it so I'd genuinely be interested in someone articulating the differences between the two. I've actually been wanting to revisit the 334 for some time now to see whether my thoughts on it have changed in any way.

Anywho, I don't subscribe to the notion that detail is exponentially better moving across price brackets. Not the sort of detail that most people describe anyway (the usual: coughs in the audience, fingers on strings, lips parsing, singers taking breaths etc. I could pick that out on an EarPod if we're being blunt) Ditto with separation to an extent. I do believe in drastic differences in note weight/thickness, micro and macro dynamics, imaging and layering and especially tonal balance and character adding up to make one phone sound more convincing than another, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back