Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Aug 5, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #4,051 of 6,090
Notes can be divided into four parts, attack, decay, sustain and release. A sound usually starts fast, increasing loudness abruptly. This is attack. Then loudness starts to drop till it stabilizes. This is decay. The stable part of the note is called sustain. When the stable part starts getting reduced we have the release of the note, which lasts till the note loudness returns to zero.

Those four parts are called transients and they help define the timbre of an instrument along with the tone of the sound.

I'm taking a vote to sticky this on the front page of Head-fi. Those in favor?

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #4,054 of 6,090
^ I think it's important to mention that this is the ADSR envelope of an instrument (likely a piano) and not a driver's transient response to a single impulse.

Thanks for differentiating. I forgot about this graphic, and am just remembering how useful it is to describe sound characteristics.

Also, I'm continuing on with day four of the TTS experiment with great results. No channel imbalance or volume reduction so far at all. Sound in general seems perfectly normal still.

I've got one foot back on the hype train...

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #4,055 of 6,090
Thanks for differentiating. I forgot about this graphic, and am just remembering how useful it is to describe sound characteristics.

Also, I'm continuing on with day four of the TTS experiment with great results. No channel imbalance or volume reduction so far at all. Sound in general seems perfectly normal still.

How often were you getting TTS before the mod? I feel like this TTS thing might be related to faulty filters on MH1s causing audio blockage.

I don't know if I should sell my Tenores since my MH1s sound so similar and they only cost me $12. Tenores have a bit better treble clarity, but I'm just afraid of these things dying, the left driver has slight flex.

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #4,057 of 6,090

I stopped the experiment (of wearing them over ears) and paid the price (TTS, on my replacement pair again). Sometimes it's sublte and rather than being obvious that one channel is softer, the whole signature just goes kinda thin, weak and non-tenore like. Sad.

Although I don't like wearing them over ear, I'm going to religiously try that from now on to see what happens.

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #4,059 of 6,090
How often were you getting TTS before the mod? I feel like this TTS thing might be related to faulty filters on MH1s causing audio blockage.

I don't know if I should sell my Tenores since my MH1s sound so similar and they only cost me $12. Tenores have a bit better treble clarity, but I'm just afraid of these things dying, the left driver has slight flex.

Pretty reliably with this particular pair, at least 50% of the time, and more so over longer listening sessions, around an hour or so. It would usually start at just over half an hour though. Could it have been the mesh grill? Condensation?

After I get seven reliable TTS-free listening sessions in, I'll try putting the mesh grill back on, although I'm not sure if I'll be able to do a good job of it. I need to choose an non-intrusive adhesive.

Also, I had to poke a small needle hole in the grill in order to pry it off, which somewhat taints the experiment imo. I may try prying a grill off of one of my other Tenores more carefully and maybe reuse the adhesive from that pair.

Aug 5, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #4,060 of 6,090
  ^ I think it's important to mention that this is the ADSR envelope of an instrument (likely a piano) and not a driver's transient response to a single impulse.

Yea, of course, i was talking about notes. I was trying to explain why the speed of the transducer is important. Transient response in speakers describes how faithfully they can reproduce abrupt sounds (also called transients
tongue.gif
). Unlike ADSR there is only attack (increase in loudness) and decay (decrease in loudness). Thus transient response affects how well note transients are rendered. The Tenore has issues, as it has a slow attack and reverberations that affects decay in transient response. This is their only flaw as far as sounds goes imo. 

Aug 5, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #4,061 of 6,090
Aug 5, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #4,063 of 6,090

Yea, of course, i was talking about notes. I was trying to explain why the speed of the transducer is important. Transient response in speakers describes how faithfully they can reproduce abrupt sounds (also called transients
tongue.gif
). Unlike ADSR there is only attack (increase in loudness) and decay (decrease in loudness). Thus transient response affects how well note transients are rendered. The Tenore has issues, as it has a slow attack and reverberations that affects decay in transient response. This is their only flaw as far as sounds goes imo. 

Yeah. as a pianist, the first thing I thought of when I saw that was "that looks like a piano note". haha maybe i'm biased :wink:

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #4,065 of 6,090

Physics question:
Is it really possible for the sustain portion to be perfectly level over any extended time?

Yea, of course, i was talking about notes. I was trying to explain why the speed of the transducer is important. Transient response in speakers describes how faithfully they can reproduce abrupt sounds (also called transients :p ). Unlike ADSR there is only attack (increase in loudness) and decay (decrease in loudness). Thus transient response affects how well note transients are rendered. The Tenore has issues, as it has a slow attack and reverberations that affects decay in transient response. This is their only flaw as far as sounds goes imo. 

Only flaw among others :wink:

No you are not, i just picked this pic because i also used to play the piano 
normal_smile%20.gif
. It's also one of the instruments the Tenore does really well in my opinion.

It does piano really well until it hits the lower octaves. Then you can hear (or sense :p ) the lack of enough note weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back