Your 'perfect' mobile rig ?
Jun 20, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #106 of 131
Right now its RS-1s or Ety 4s through a Xin SM4/Punnisher silver low profile lod/ipod classic. Rig fits in a digital camera hip pouch 4x6x2.

I'd upgrade the Etys some day to the JH line but the Etys just keep on playing.

Jun 20, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #108 of 131
figured i may as well chip in for the ortho lovers. 

iriver H10 (highly underappreciated imo) - mini3 ( high performance version ) - modded yamaha YHD2. 

I have tried switching components in/out , iems etc but this offers best sound comfort to me..dB

Jun 22, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #111 of 131
Here's my soon-to-be portable rig:
240GB 5.5 iMod - ALO Rx - Westone UMX3.

Ahhh...

:)

Jun 22, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #112 of 131

Quote:
I wonder how "thick" will be the stack of the iPod + AlgoRhythm Solo + JH3A?   How truly portable (versus transportable)?   If one could find a well-fitting bag, this sounds like a pretty great sounding system.

yeah you are right, a well-fitting bag is important. Some use iPad as a DAP, i don't see any reason why this is not portable.

Jun 22, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #113 of 131
Mine is:
ipod classic>FiiO e5>ath-ew9
will be adding an ibasso LOD

Jun 22, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #114 of 131

Quote:
Here's my soon-to-be portable rig:
240GB 5.5 iMod - ALO Rx - Westone UMX3.

Ahhh...

:)

how or where could you buy a 240 gig ipod?

Jun 22, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #115 of 131

There are ways to open up an iPod and add an aftermarket hard drive. I don't know the specifics, but I've seen it done. And I'm seriously considering going that route after I get around to re-ripping all of my discs to lossless. So far I've been surviving with AAC files.

Anyhow, my dream rig is now the JH13 with the JH-3A amp. One of the best things I've ever heard, and this is from someone who used to be dismissive of the whole IEM thing. As soon as I put a few ducks in a row (and unload some unused gear) I'll place my order. I'll probably run it off my iPad or maybe an iPod with a big drive inserted.

Jun 23, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #116 of 131
I adapt my rig to my lifestyle. When I shuffle regularly between countries (college, business trips, on-site assignments, secondments etc...), I like having a good portable rig - ESW10JPN + a clean source, probably a Dr. DAC DX, is great. Whilst actually traveling or vacation, good universal IEMs are fine, you can just throw them into bag with a player and go. Full-sized cans are a luxury, I'll get them when the lifestyle permits and go without when it does not. I am currently interested in the Chinese custom IEMs, the financial risk is lower when on the move, given all the random things that can happen...

JH13 -> JH-3A sounds heavenly but completely outside my range. =( sigh. 

Jun 23, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #117 of 131

Quote:

http://apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=family&id=42

If you also want upgraded audio quality look into redwineaudio's iMod options, or research diy-mod. Vinnie at redwine will install the drive/battery free if he converts your iPod into an iMod. The hardest thing about installing the drive yourself is actually getting the case open safely.

Jun 23, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #118 of 131
How does it compare with your full size rig (Zana + HD800 if your signature is up to date)?

Quote:
Anyhow, my dream rig is now the JH13 with the JH-3A amp. One of the best things I've ever heard, and this is from someone who used to be dismissive of the whole IEM thing. As soon as I put a few ducks in a row (and unload some unused gear) I'll place my order. I'll probably run it off my iPad or maybe an iPod with a big drive inserted.

Jun 23, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #119 of 131
my ultra-portable rig: FLAC -> Clip+ -> JH-16's
-Completely blown away by this sweet simple combo. I'm having trouble imagining a potentially better ultra-portable rig?

my portable rig: FLAC -> S:Flo2 -> JH-16's
-The S:Flo2 hasn't arrived yet, but if it's HO isn't much of an upgrade over the Clip+ then I'll just use it for it's LO in my semi-portable rig.

my semi-portable rig: FLAC -> S:Flo2 -> Go Vibe Petite -> JH-16's
-For now, I'm quite satisfied with how the Petite sounds connected to my PC as a DAC, so I'm hoping it'll sound just as impressive out of the S:Flo2's LO.

Jun 23, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #120 of 131
sanity8me, I am amazed with your choices. I thought that I am very rational minimalist but you beat me to the ground!

What does your nickname means?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back