Your 'perfect' mobile rig ?
Jan 23, 2010 at 6:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 131

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
One of the things you soon realise when you travel is that gear needs to be adaptable and take up as little space as possible - it's for that reason that I took nothing more than a netbook and my Sony X with me on my last trip to Asia, but lets assume you were about to hit the road for several months and you wanted a genuinely transportable rig that would give you good sound in a hotel room anywhere with a power source to recharge your laptop/netbook and any Li-on powered DAC/amps you take with you.

Sure, you could use a DAP as your source, but I prefer to use a laptop when I'm back in the hotel room - its great for movies as well as music. I didnt take the Topaz or any fullsize cans on my last two trips, but in a 'perfect' world my rig would look something like this :

laptop > dac/amp -> *one* pair of fullsize cans

Everything would need to be able to run from batteries - one of the other realities is that they often put the single powerpoint in the bathroom and make the connections for TV etc sufficiently odd that your adapter wont work. Having a separate DAC and amp is great at home, but on the road you will be happier with one unit. I'd like to try the D4 in this role, but it seems that each new DAC/amp is better than the last atm - I'm sure everyone has their own suggestions.

Finally, why am I insisting on fullsize cans when IEMs do such a great job ? I dont hear any excessive hiss on any of my gear with my fullsize cans, but it seems to be the first complaint to pop up when a new DAC/amp is released. The other thing is that I like using open cans like my Grados as a break from having IEMs in my ear during the day - I particularly like them with movies. Speakers are a luxury you are unlikely to have in a hotel room - open cans are the next best thing IMO, even if it means you need to keep the volume at reasonable levels when your partner complains that In Flames isnt her preferred lullaby music. Harden the **** up, sugar.
biggrin.gif

Anyone else have a perfect mobile rig ? If you are packing a WA6 in your carry-on luggage, I admire your spirit, but I'm guessing most keep it under 10 kilos of electronics.
beyersmile.png

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #4 of 131
Something like:
Lenovo X200 -> HeadAmp Pico -> K240 Sextett

Jan 23, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #6 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose a laptop, an Isabellina HPA, and HD800's would do the trick
wink.gif

I knew there would be at least one ......

Jan 23, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #8 of 131
The D4 into HF1 sounds interesting, but some of the feedback in various HF1 threads leads me to believe that they are very sensitive to amp choice. Would be great to hear from someone with that combo, tho.

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #9 of 131
My ultra portable is

Clip+ --> Cardas IC --> iBasso T4 --> RE0 (playing 60/40 FLAC/MP3)

Jan 23, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #12 of 131
I already use it regularly

iriver iHP132CF->Modded D10->Lisa III/FiQuest(discrete output stage mod)->JH13/HD600

but i've just started ordering parts for

Cowon X5L->i2S digital out mod->battery powered twisted pear COD with ASRC-> discrete diamond buffers balanced->JH13/HD600/woody D2000
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #14 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D4 into HF1 sounds interesting, but some of the feedback in various HF1 threads leads me to believe that they are very sensitive to amp choice. Would be great to hear from someone with that combo, tho.

I don't know about HF1 but can definitely comment on the D4 325is combo.

It is one marriage made in heaven,listening to Norah Jones- The Fall right now, mate the guitars just do the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back