Your 'perfect' mobile rig ?
Jan 24, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #17 of 131
OK qusp - you had me at the 'D10 -> Lisa III', but I'd be interested to see how many times you were willing to drag to drag that lot past the Customs nazis. I've never had a problem with DAPs or headphones. but I've seen several guys get the treatment when the X-ray showed larger boxes with complex electronics inside : its one of the reasons you have to put your laptop through separately.

Jan 24, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #18 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattcalf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
qusp wins, again.

biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/images/smilies/L3000.gif

well we'll see how the i2s goes before I claim that. the current rig is pretty sweet, but i'm interested to see whether I need custom RB FW to drive the i2s output on the cowon. tapping it's easy enough and with ASRC there wont be an issue with degradation of the signal (pretty short anyway) but whether it knows something is there (or needs to) i'm yet to see. looks promising though. otherwise i'll have to live with iriver via optical. in both cases with the metronome in place the output will be 192khz
biggrin.gif
we'll see how long 12-14 AAA cells lasts

Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK qusp - you had me at the 'D10 -> Lisa III', but I'd be interested to see how many times you were willing to drag to drag that lot past the Customs nazis. I've never had a problem with DAPs or headphones. but I've seen several guys get the treatment when the X-ray showed larger boxes with complex electronics inside : its one of the reasons you have to put your laptop through separately.

well I never have any trouble domestic with the iriver->D10->Lisa rig, I can often just leave it all plugged up because its pretty obvious what it is with headphones and a volume knob. doesnt look DIY either. the COD rig will be smaller and only involve one cable apart from the headphone cable for i2s, but either way I find if you unplug it all and just put it in the tray there isnt an issue. its when you have it all packed up with cables everywhere connecting it that you have issues.

Jan 24, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #19 of 131
My regular travel rig (if I want max sound and space is no issue) is the following:

H1xx-->D10-->SR71-->RS-1 or HF-2

Sometimes I'll bring my MicroDAC in lieu of the D10 as it sounds a touch better but eats batteries.

If space is an issue I'll leave the SR71 and fullsize cans home and use PK-1's instead.

As far as airport travel, things actually seem to go better if I take the components apart, as they seem to catch security's eye when everything is strapped together.

Jan 24, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #21 of 131
iPod touch 2nd gen - > HD25 I II/SR60i
iPod touch 2nd gen - > LD MK I + - > Pro 750

Jan 25, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #22 of 131
MacBookPro > Predator > AT ESW10JPN

or

iPod Touch > Shadow > UE-10pro

Jan 25, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #23 of 131
I want to start a little project to turn my second backpack into a campus-bound ultimate audio centre, featuring my Gateway P-7805u with my soon to be LD Dac_I, PPA portable amp, and SRH840s, all run by a solar-charged battery/DC converter, and Palm Pre as a remote.

Jan 25, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #24 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hybrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to start a little project to turn my second backpack into a campus-bound ultimate audio centre, featuring my Gateway P-7805u with my soon to be LD Dac_I, PPA portable amp, and SRH840s, all run by a solar-charged battery/DC converter, and Palm Pre as a remote.

Its a while since I finished my degree, but I seem to recall the need to carry the odd textbook - will there be room in that backpack for anything other than your rig ?
tongue.gif

Edit : are you really prepared to carry two backpacks into such a noisy environment ?

Jan 25, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #25 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its a while since I finished my degree, but I seem to recall the need to carry the odd textbook - will there be room in that backpack for anything other than your rig ?
tongue.gif

Edit : are you really prepared to carry two backpacks into such a noisy environment ?

It's a rather large 17" laptop backpack. And I'm a technical theatre student, I have one textbook and one novel this semester.

Also, I noted it was a second backpack to say that it would be my backup backpack, and I have another if I would like to just pack around stuff.

Jan 25, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #26 of 131
Apple Lossless>iMod 5.5 240GB w/ALO Line-out Dock>Emmeline PROTECTOR Balanced Portable Headphone Amp>JH Audio JH16 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitors terminated for balanced use w/PROTECTOR

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #27 of 131
ipod touch > Headstage Arrow > ATH ES7

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #28 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple Lossless>iMod 5.5 250GB w/ALO Line-out Dock>Emmeline PROTECTOR Balanced Portable Headphone Amp>JH Audio JH16 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitors re-wired for balanced use w/PROTECTOR

Nice.

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #29 of 131
Hifiman> amp if I want a different (less bright and energetic) sound> JH13pro

The last time I traveled I had something like 4 amps with me in my carry-on. TSA officers gave me a bemused look, took down my ticket number, but let me pass without even padding me down.

Oh and qusp's domestic traveling in Australia is prolly a bit less of a bother than it is in the US
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #30 of 131
indeed, but I have done international too. unplug everything and it really doesnt get a second look. its only all the cables knobs buttons blinking lights etc that puts them off.

but I havent been over to your fine country; the land of the frequent cavity search
tongue.gif

grokit: i'm guessing you mean the 240gb IMOD, on order or fantasy? its all good from the OP thats what this thread is all about, I just happen to be part way there, whether i'm actually ever happy to sit still is another thing. happy with my rig?? absolutely!! happy to stop tweaking?? never!! am only in this for the gear?? you must be joking, tunes keep me alive

started building the COD today, not too long now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back