Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 14, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #1,081 of 4,690
If anything it is tilted towards the upper mids, I would say.

Quote:
Sorry if I missed the info on this long thread, how does the Yamaha fares in terms of mid linearity? Is there any noticeable bump or peak and valleys in the mid and upper mid region?

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #1,084 of 4,690

Quote:

I do listen to A LOT of EDM. I listen to KloneZ, Above and Beyond, Josh Lang, Ace Da Brain, Alabaster, Alex Kidd, Kidd Kaos, Alice Deejay, Andy Bluemen, Armin Van Buuren, Arnej, Arty, Ayla, Ayumi Hamasaki and much more.

If so, forget the EX600.

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #1,087 of 4,690

Quote:
From what I have read, 

Quote:

From everything I've heard 

Seriously, please don't post advice from what you've read posted by other people, only what you've experienced yourself. It trashes the forum with nonsense.

Thanks.

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #1,088 of 4,690
My arrive today.

Unfortunately today as been a crazy day of work, and can't give the properly attention.

For what i have listen, don't give me a initial wow efect.....for sure due treble faulty.

I don't think they have mids much forward, to me is in right position.

Bass is too in correctly quantity, not much not less.

The only thing I suppose can affect the loving\less love, is the treble.

But for sure this is a fantastic iem for daily usage , nice signature, no fatigue and very very comfortable....is a keeper for sure.

Is driving now Queen albums really very well, wat is a good sign...when went 2-3 vocall, is very good.

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #1,089 of 4,690

Thanks for the additional details James.

I thoroughly enjoyed following up your 'Puppy' link
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Please clarify: Would that be one or two poodles on steroids?  :wink:

Quote:

Quad highly trained ninja attack poodles!

Quote:
This has gone to the dogs.....

Although I have never owned a dog, boxer is one i have always admired the most - what a coincidence (honestly).

I can't really make a direct comparison to ex600's bass but i was surprised to see in your analogy that EPH100 is like a puppy boxer in contrast. Certainly makes me want to experience the St. Bernard at least once.

I have pair of TF10's &  IE7's & it would make me think they are Shih Tzu's if i was to apply the same analogy against EPH100 with good seal & 100+ hours.

Personally I like to have a level of sub bass present going <70hz as this is how I have my REL sub configured alongside Kef RDM2 Reference Monitor speakers.
This is kind of similar to how I perceive the EPH100 bass set up to my ears. A lower Sub cross over at around <40-30hz just does not have enough fun or enjoyment factor often enough in the music. I would agree with you that the EPH100 could do with more bass texture.

In regards to the separation ability being equal between EPH100 & EX600 I'm little confused.

We have two owners of UM3X in this thread (Tienbasse, Miow) - a phone renowned for its separation ability, & both have said EPH100 has better separation. Before I bought the EPH100 I followed & read through the EX1000/EX600 thread & did not get any impressions of it having outstanding separation ability. Maybe someone else can shed more light on this.

On the matter of clarity. Could the EX600's greater clarity be attributed to its treble emphasis which tends to create an illusion of better clarity compared  to warmer phones such as EPH100 ?

To my ears the EPH100 has plenty of clarity - far more than IE7, but just not analytical levels which some may desire. 

I am not knocking the EX600 at all. It sounds like a very capable phone - just with different strengths & weaknesses. It's ll about picking the right one for your music taste. As we know there is no such thing as a perfect IEM .

Just like to add for people not able able to relate to the 3D like immersive sound with EPH100 - Make sure your are listening to music that is produced in the first place to highlight this ability. e.g Trance. The effect is not going to be significant & as easy to pick up when listening to say classical or 80's pop.

Pack21 At last !

As few have confirmed the EPH100 start getting better after 50+ hours use.
I have lost count but somewhere 100-130 hours & the treble has definitely got better.
Whole sound signature sounds smoother & more refined compared how it came out of box.

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #1,091 of 4,690

Quote:
On the matter of clarity. Could the EX600's greater clarity be attributed to its treble emphasis which tends to create an illusion of better clarity compared  to warmer phones such as EPH100 ?

Exactly. You took the words from my mouth. At least after the 100-200 hours, the EPH-100s have EXACTLY the same clarity/detail of the UM3X, except for the treble, which is more detailed/refined on the UM3X. Besides that they sound almost like the same IEM (a bit more bass on the EPHs, which I personally prefer - I consider the UM3X a bass-heavy phone). Some people tend to confuse clarity with treble *quality* and the effect it causes on overall sound.

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #1,093 of 4,690
It does seem to be a good track for testing soundstage size, but the EPH-100's "special" trick is more separating sounds distinctly than presenting them spaciously, although it does manage to do the latter reasonably well IMO.

The part at about 3:00-3:30, with the timpany and vocals and violin and brass all coming in at different times, is indeed a good test for soundstaging. I wish I could find that in FLAC...

Quote:

This is a good track to test the sound stage on eph-100 or any other IEM for that matter.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #1,095 of 4,690
It's odd, I go back and forth from thinking that the EPH is a REALLY quality headphone, to feeling like it's fairly "normal." I think it's signature is mostly what leads to the latter sentiment: the sound is very easy-going, despite occasional metallic treble, and it doesn't really heavily accentuate any one area of the spectrum, other than a slight bass bump. I feel like it's kind of a pre-rap consumer sound sig on steroids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back