Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 13, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #1,066 of 4,690

Quote:
From what I have read, none of those deliver what you want. Maybe look at a pair of used IE8, they should be going down in price since the IE80 dropped. They are the only IEM I've read of that has a "headphone-like" soundstage.

The price should've went down to $210 by now for the IE8. I'm pretty confused as of why it's still 399.99. I just wish I had enough money for the Thousand Sound TS842.

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #1,067 of 4,690

Quote:
If you check Joker's review he even refers to the EX600 as "headphone-like."

I'm wondering if it's any match for the Yamaha EPH-100?

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #1,068 of 4,690
But deep bass?

From everything I've heard the EX600 is superior to the EPH100 in terms of detail and accuracy of presentation.
Quote:
If you check Joker's review he even refers to the EX600 as "headphone-like."

I'm wondering if it's any match for the Yamaha EPH-100?

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #1,069 of 4,690

Quote:
But deep bass?

From everything I've heard the EX600 is superior to the EPH100 in terms of detail and accuracy of presentation.

+1. The EX600 can handle almost anything you throw at it. Don't forget it comes with a replaceable and better quality cable.

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #1,073 of 4,690
Niyologist I don't think you can get what you are after from a single IEM. There is no such IEM that ticks everything for everyone's ears.

There have been some discussions on eph100 v ex600 earlier in thread.
From what I recall:

EPH 100:

- Emphasis towards lows & MIDS. Slightly north of neutral signature.
- Average size soundstage but combined with excellent separation gives immersive 3d like sound especiall prominent with Trance EDM ETC. 100+ hours use
- Good detail & clarity but not analytical levels. Bass & MIDS nicely separated
- best isolation out of all DD IEMs

Ex600:
- emphasis on highs so stronger treble. Bass noticeably weaker & some prefer to pair it with ZO bass amp to fix it.

- Bigger soundstage almost ie8 size. Average separation.
- More detail & clarity with extended highs & less MIDS & bass
- not great isolation.

If you lean towards classical/jazz a lot than ex600 else eph100 is better - fatigue free listening & more fun in my opinion.

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #1,074 of 4,690

Quote:
Niyologist I don't think you can get what you are after from a single IEM. There is no such IEM that ticks everything for everyone's ears.
From what I recall:
EPH 100:
- Average size soundstage but combined with excellent separation gives immersive 3d like sound especiall prominent with Trance EDM ETC. 100+ hours use
Ex600:
- emphasis on highs so stronger treble. Bass noticeably weaker & some prefer to pair it with ZO bass amp to fix it.
- not great isolation.
If you lean towards classical/jazz a lot than ex600 else eph100 is better - fatigue free listening & more fun in my opinion.

I do listen to A LOT of EDM. I listen to KloneZ, Above and Beyond, Josh Lang, Ace Da Brain, Alabaster, Alex Kidd, Kidd Kaos, Alice Deejay, Andy Bluemen, Armin Van Buuren, Arnej, Arty, Ayla, Ayumi Hamasaki and much more. I guess I can use my Fiio E6 or I can buy the Fiio E11 for control over treble/gain and bass for the EX600.

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #1,075 of 4,690

Haha I never even thought to think of Ayumi Hamasaki as EDM. I could never really classify her very well. Good stuff.
Quote:

I do listen to A LOT of EDM. I listen to KloneZ, Above and Beyond, Josh Lang, Ace Da Brain, Alabaster, Alex Kidd, Kidd Kaos, Alice Deejay, Andy Bluemen, Armin Van Buuren, Arnej, Arty, Ayla, Ayumi Hamasaki and much more. I guess I can use my Fiio E6 or I can buy the Fiio E11 for control over treble/gain and bass for the EX600.

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #1,076 of 4,690
That's your call friend.

But as you stated you listen lot of EDM I would just like to point out that EDM fans have agreed EPH100 Excells at this genre. I listen to all the music you mention & thoroughly enjoy them because of the combination of deep punchy bass, clarity & separation. Best of luck with your decision.

Listening to Winter Stayed - Armin as I type away on iPhone.

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #1,077 of 4,690

Quote:
Haha I never even thought to think of Ayumi Hamasaki as EDM. I could never really classify her very well. Good stuff.

She's does Japanese Trance Vocals pretty well.

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #1,078 of 4,690

Quote:
That's your call friend.
But as you stated you listen lot of EDM I would just like to point out that EDM fans have agreed EPH100 Excells at this genre. I listen to all the music you mention & thoroughly enjoy them because of the combination of deep punchy bass, clarity & separation. Best of luck with your decision.
Listening to Winter Stayed - Armin as I type away on iPhone.

I love that song! Very curious. Gonna pull the trigger pretty soon for the EPH-100.

Feb 14, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #1,080 of 4,690
Quote:
From what I recall:
EPH 100:
Ex600:
- not great isolation.

Two additions from my point of view:
- I haven't heard any advantage in separation on the EPH-100 over the EX600. Usually the more detailed and clearer phone (= EX600) would also be superiour in separation, but the Yamahas have better separation than one would expect from their somewhat treble-shy sound signature, so overall I'd call it (at best) a draw.
- I think there's some misconception regarding the EX600's bass capabilities. The Sonys are tuned for controlled bass and balanced sound signature, but their 16mm drivers can punch with awe-inspiring authority when called for. The Yamaha's tuning is bassier and they're slightly faster (due to less moving mass), but their bass punch is no match for the EX600's almost headphone-like effortlessness and authority. In memory of our "poodle talk" from the EX1000 thread, I'd say that the EX600's bass sounds like a relaxed and good-natured St. Bernard, whereas I'd liken the EPH-100's more to exuberant boxer puppies. The latter will generally produce a higher (bass) volume level, but one low growl from the St. Bernard would silence them for sure.

jm2c
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back