Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 14, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #1,112 of 4,690

Overall the sound becomes more REFINED to the ears.

Treble is more natural & not so 'Metallic' sounding as Gilly described.

Clarity seems to improve possible as a result of better treble

Bass seems to gain little more texture & become more effortless & smooth sounding - hard to describe that one.

Right now listening to Funabashi - Daylight (Estiva 2010 Remix)

Listen to it at 320k if you want to experience what 3D immersiveness is with EPH-100's !

Wowww ... I'm in Euphorrriiiiaaaa.. Essence STX (amped) pushed to 50% volume (V LOUD !)!
No fatigue what so ever..
This track can kill my ears with its highs but not with EPH100. Plenty of detail & silky at same time.

*edit*

Found a poor man's link but immersiveness is heavily reduced compared to 320Kbps:

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #1,114 of 4,690

Quote:
Better bass, essentially (more controlled and tighter) and more clarity.

thx.

Quote:

Overall the sound becomes more REFINED to the ears.

Treble is more natural & not so 'Metallic' sounding as Gilly described.

Clarity seems to improve possible as a result of better treble

Bass seems to gain little more texture & become more effortless & smooth sounding - hard to describe that one.

Right now listening to Funabashi - Daylight (Estiva 2010 Remix)

Listen to it at 320k if you want to experience what 3D immersiveness is with EPH-100's !

Wowww ... I'm in Euphorrriiiiaaaa.. Essence STX (amped) pushed to 50% volume (V LOUD !)!
No fatigue what so ever..
This track can kill my ears with its highs but not with EPH100. Plenty of detail & silky at same time.

thx. indeed with EPH We Can push volume up, without hurt us.

One thing I noticed as soon i put them this morning, and after listening lot of music to confirm, is not having more instruments screaming on top of my ears, like my previous iem's .... on EPH have a nice distance.

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #1,117 of 4,690

People stop saying EDM is only think shining in EPH, there is a whole world of music to discover for EPH.

All tracks of scissor sisters e.g

gonna shake that ass.
L3000.gif

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #1,119 of 4,690
Your right pack21.

Just that they really do super Excels with EDM. It's the separation ability combined with clarity giving arise to immersive sound stage.

Yes it can do more just as well:

My recent listening with Prince albums has been just as satisfying as EDM. FUNK

Dire straits is superb with guitars, bass & male vocals. ROCK

Immortal Techniques The Martyr is adrenaline driving bass thumping good. HIP-HOP

Stevie Wonders Inversions is heart wrenching, hand clapping goodness. SOUL

Mezzoforte is rhythm, beat thumping exhilarating foot tapping great. JAZZ

I thought classical was a no go until I heard Memoirs Of Geisha OST. Deep bass layers with intricate Japanese instrumentation. CLASSICAL

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #1,120 of 4,690

Quote:
Your right pack21.

Just that they really do super Excels with EDM. It's the separation ability combined with clarity giving arise to immersive sound stage.

Yes it can do more just as well:

My recent listening with Prince albums has been just as satisfying as EDM. FUNK

Dire straits is superb with guitars, bass & male vocals. ROCK

Immortal Techniques The Martyr is adrenaline driving bass thumping good. HIP-HOP

Stevie Wonders Inversions is heart wrenching, hand clapping goodness. SOUL

Mezzoforte is rhythm, beat thumping exhilarating foot tapping great. JAZZ

I thought classical was a no go until I heard Memoirs Of Geisha OST. Deep bass layers with intricate Japanese instrumentation. CLASSICAL

Could it be that it only works with Well Mastered Recordings?

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #1,121 of 4,690

Well mastered stuff does bring the best out of the IEM naturally but i have found it quite forgiving with old 80s pop that were not produced so well.

I tend to use 320Kbps only on X1060 & mix of MP3/Flacs on PC Essence STX.

It's been commented by others as being forgiving with lower bit rate files.

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #1,122 of 4,690

Quote:

Well mastered stuff does bring the best out of the IEM naturally but i have found it quite forgiving with old 80s pop that were not produced so well.

I tend to use 320Kbps only on X1060 & mix of MP3/Flacs on PC Essence STX.

It's been commented by others as being forgiving with lower bit rate files.

Makes sense. It's not really a Studio IEM, nor an analytical IEM.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #1,123 of 4,690
Hey for any Aussies, I found a store that carry them for $99AUD, google eastwood hifi :)

Might be able to help some to buy as well, I live damn close to them...

Feb 15, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #1,124 of 4,690

Quote:
There is brief comparison to e-Q7 by james444 earlier in thread that might help:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/577712/yamaha-eph-100/15#post_7981085

Thanks but thats hardly a comparison. And e-Q5 is different.

Feb 15, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #1,125 of 4,690
Man, was I wrong about the EPHs treble, due to crap players (Clip+ and Zen X-Fi 3). Just got the new Sony A865 with the new S-Master MX amp, and treble is soooo much better, much more refined and realistic (and present). Listening to jazz is now a new experience with these IEMs, such is the realism of the cymbals (still not as realistic as the UM3X though). EPHs Treble is GOOD. Sorry about the confusion, those crappy players led me to that wrong conclusion. I HIGHLY recommend the Sony A865 for the EPH-100s. What a perfect marriage. Also bass was improved on this player and its noticeable.

UM3X treble is still better (I would say it is EXCELENT), but the EPH's is GOOD. Given the excelent instrument separation, forward, lush mids and tighter bass, I still prefer the EPH's for pretty much every genre. Will maybe just use the UM3X for acoustic material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back