Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 15, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #1,126 of 4,690
I still regret selling my Sony X-Series when I bought my iPhone, it just was a perfect marriage for my IE8s and they still have not sounded the same even with my E10. 

So I know what you mean.  Contemplating jumping aboard the EPH-100 train as my ASG-1 train went off the track.....
frown.gif

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #1,127 of 4,690
Absolutely amazing sound that SONY A865. Best PMP I have ever heard and I have had Cowon S9/J3, Sansa, Rocoo, Creative, Samsung, previous generation Sonys, etc. And the good news is that it doesn't come with the volume cap ; )

I'm also very impressed with the EX-300 that come with it. What a sound for a €50 IEM. Really impressive. BTW, I'm selling the EX-300 as I won't use them. Less than 24 hours.

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #1,129 of 4,690

Quote:
Absolutely amazing sound that SONY A865. Best PMP I have ever heard and I have had Cowon S9/J3, Sansa, Rocoo, Creative, Samsung, previous generation Sonys, etc. And the good news is that it doesn't come with the volume cap ; )

I'm also very impressed with the EX-300 that come with it. What a sound for a €50 IEM. Really impressive. BTW, I'm selling the EX-300 as I won't use them. Less than 24 hours.

Yet you're selling it just a day after you received it... because you can't use the touchscreen? Surely it'd be a better idea to get used to the functioning (seeming as it sounds so good)?

I'm glad that you found a good synergy with the A865 and EPH-100 but disagree wholeheartedly about the Clip+ being a "crap" DAP. It's actually very good given it's price. I'm open to suggestions regarding synergy with the EPH-100s, but only if they're at least half sensible...   

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #1,130 of 4,690
I think the idea of it, is to see what he sell first, if sale EX300 separatly is expected he downs the price of A865. If happens the opposite, closes the EX300 sale.

But indeed Miow, you are a super fast man. (just kiding).
tongue.gif

Feb 15, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #1,132 of 4,690
Quote:
You're correct. The UM3X and W4 are very, very similar when it comes to instrument separation. I owned the UM3X for nearly 2 years and the W4 for 3 months and did have the W4 & UM3X (and ES3X) at the same time for a few weeks -- the ES3X & UM3X, BTW, share excatly the same drivers & crossovers (confirmed by Westone) and I remember very well the diffrenece between the UM3X & my custom ES3X. The Yamahas do NOT have the same level of instrument separation the UM3X has, let alone better.

Well, I thought so. Thanks for the confirmation.
smile_phones.gif

Quote:
Also the new Creative X-Fi 3 with X-Fi Cristalyzer enabled does wonders for MP3 (even at 320K CBR).

Quote:
Anyways, yes, the X-Fi 3, has much more detail/clarity than the Clip+.

Quote:
Man, was I wrong about the EPHs treble, due to crap players (Clip+ and Zen X-Fi 3). Just got the new Sony A865...

Feb 15, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #1,133 of 4,690

Quote:
The Sony A865 sold in the European Union does have a volume cap. And I know because I've tried it.

lol. It's tricky but you can fix that ; )

Here's how you do it: Go to AVLS - DISABLED - OK. Go to the volume and put it at 28-29-30, what you prefer. WAIT TILL THE VOLUME BAR DISAPPEARS (or this won't gonna work). Now go to AVLS - ENABLE - OK. There you got your volume UNcapped. lol ; ) 

BTW, A865 no longer for sale. Getting used to the touchscreen (and the somewhat "difficult" lateral buttons). A pain, but I'm almost there
wink_face.gif

By the way, what happened to your "appreciation" thread, dude? lol :D

Feb 15, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #1,134 of 4,690

Quote:

Yes, thats true, dude. It's just a night and day difference from the Clip+ to the X-fi 3 if you use "crystalizer" and MP3Gain (89-92db)
wink_face.gif

And yes, rthe X-Fi 3 is almost crap compared to the Sony A865. lol. It's life :D

Quote:
The Yamahas do NOT have the same level of instrument separation the UM3X has, let alone better.

lol

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #1,137 of 4,690

Quote:
You're correct. The UM3X and W4 are very, very similar when it comes to instrument separation. I owned the UM3X for nearly 2 years and the W4 for 3 months and did have the W4 & UM3X (and ES3X) at the same time for a few weeks -- the ES3X & UM3X, BTW, share excatly the same drivers & crossovers (confirmed by Westone) and I remember very well the diffrenece between the UM3X & my custom ES3X. The Yamahas do NOT have the same level of instrument separation the UM3X has, let alone better.

I came to buying the EPH-100 after Tienbasse convinced me that it had the closest sound signature to what I had requested in a recommendation thread.
I didn't immediately buy the EPH-100 but after weeks of research having crossed off top tiers from my list for some reason or other I thought i give it a shot.
And since than I have been very happy. I do feel i got more than i bargained for. Could I be happier.. Yes. The search goes on still for THAT elusive IEM.

Although I have not had the pleasure of hearing the UM3X for myself I more readily accept Tienbasse's opinion of it as he was spot on in recommending this phone to me in the first place with its caveats.

Quote:
  1. Duel against Westone UM3X : overall image is the same, good bass, forward mids, fine treble, excellent separation and clarity for both. Soundstage is smaller with the Westone, bass are more punchy on the Yamahas but equal in quantity, and overall Westone are more on the soft side (some would say "natural") whereas Yamahas are a bit more sparkling (some would say "lively" without causing fatigue). Treble with the Yamahas is very "snappy" (short decay) so people may found it unnatural (especially cymbals) while they're more relaxed with the UM3X. Winner: Westone if you like natural sond, Yamahas if you prefer the "fun" sound.

Quote: (from Shure SE535 SE Red thread)
2) Instrument separation: well I start with this because this is what I expect the most when I evaluate IEMs. I wasn't sure about Underhysteria statement, but I can confirm, these babies separate better than UM3X (and EPH-100), especially in the mids, which is not a small feat. Really impressive how you can isolate and locate each instrument. This may be seen as totally alien by people loving more "naturally presented music" (especially if you already don't like that with the UM3X). 

I get the impression he puts them on par - close enough not to call it. Where as you write your opinion in clear Black & White.

I hope Tienbasse can help clarify his opinion. How close or not they are in separation from his point of hearing.

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #1,138 of 4,690
As I said earlier today, the EPH-100 have better instrument separation on Metal, so I guess it's pretty close on other genres, if not better too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back