Xears Thread (formerly TD III)
Nov 28, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #556 of 957

Quote:
I'm in a bit of need of advice. Basically, I'm looking for as bassy-as-possible IEM with good comfort.
More details in this thread - http://www.head-fi.org/t/581746/maximum-bass-for-30#post_7925493.
Apologies for the hijack :D

Among the four, Ultraphile has more bass, feels more comfortable, and they sound distant/relaxing. XGF500PRO are said to be much more bassy, other members can confirm that.

Quote:
just ordered the ultraphiles. will do a review when i receive them. hang tight should be this week :)

Glad you didn't order A330PRO.

Nov 28, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #557 of 957

Quote:
Among the four, Ultraphile has more bass, feels more comfortable, and they sound distant/relaxing. XGF500PRO are said to be much more bassy, other members can confirm that.

Thank you :D I literally went ahead and read nearly the whole thread (I feel like a zombie now) and I'm certain that if I go for Xears then Ultraphiles are the way to go since they seem to have much better quality than the rest and generally people aren't saying bad things about them. If I do get them in the end, I'll post a review without a doubt.

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #558 of 957
Good time to buy the Ultraphile. Looks like they are on sale at Xears.com for only 20€  +8€ shipping.
eek.gif

Nov 29, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #559 of 957

Quote:

Me too! Something was just telling me to stay away from 'em. I've also heard the XGF500Pro's are more bassy but I couldn't find anything on a comparison between them and the other flat cable designs. So I bought the one that felt the safest. Ultraphiles!

Nov 30, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #560 of 957
One thing that's a bit mysterious is why Xears doesn't post impedence values.  I find them pretty important, actually.  Not so much when I'm using my iaudio equipment, but I'm moving in favor of making my phone the primary portable music player and there it does make a difference, most particularly, with respect to battery life and being near the end of the volume limit.

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #562 of 957

Quote:
One thing that's a bit mysterious is why Xears doesn't post impedence values.  I find them pretty important, actually.  Not so much when I'm using my iaudio equipment, but I'm moving in favor of making my phone the primary portable music player and there it does make a difference, most particularly, with respect to battery life and being near the end of the volume limit.

I'm not sure but I'll tell you this. I live about 100 yards from a highway. I had them in at halfway volume just now. I went on a walk with my dog at night. I live on a quiet street in the suburbs. I couldn't hear **** except the music
L3000.gif

Quote:

Ultraphile - Laid back midrange and distant sounding. Slightly longer bass decay. Less emphasis on treble. Easy listening for longer time. Great for dubstep. No Driver flex. Comfortable angled nozzles.

Definitely agree with the distant sounding. For a second, I almost fully regretted my purchase because I wasn't used to the sound signature. I did experience driver flex on the right IEM onl. After a couple minutes of playing around with them, the sound signature didn't sound bad at all even though it was distant. I even found a quick little EQ fix which dramatically changes the distant sound. On my iPhone, I used the "Piano" EQ and that one made it sound far less distant sounding. They sound great, it's just that the sound signature needs getting used to.

Dec 1, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #564 of 957

Quote:
Ordered Ultraphilles. How is soundstage & bass on these ones? And what about vocals?

Welcome to the Xears club nipit.  I have to give you some credit.  I saw your thread on the GR06 and pulled the trigger.  Now I am a VSONIC fan, owning the GR06, GR07 & R04 Pro.  Thanks...
beerchug.gif

I still love my Xears though...
biggrin.gif

I believe I found the perfect tip for my XE200PROs.  I love these, but the tips in reference to the long housing made it a bit tedious to get a good seal.  I ordered the Monster Tips Sampler pack and the gel SM/MED is perfect indeed...
beerchug.gif

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #565 of 957

Quote:
Ordered Ultraphilles. How is soundstage & bass on these ones? And what about vocals?

Vocals I think are great though they seem somewhat synthetic in nature
I don't think my ultraphiles can handle bass that is a very low note nor is the bass impressive (I'm a 100% basshead though).
But is the bass sufficient, yes.
Also I believe the soundstage is wide but focuses on the higher notes of the musical note spectrum.

EDIT: Also note that I've been using these with EQ.

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #566 of 957
So far, the ultraphiles are stunning on my N8 with LCG Jukebox, as well as my iaudio players. I'm listening to mostly metal, black, progressive, and such. Especially for technical metal, with more progressive drummers, there's a lot of separation in the cymbals and it brings up the background ones really well in the soundstage. Looks like I'll likely get another pair before the deal is over. There are so many others in the line, I don't know what to get, but likely for 20euros, the Ultraphile is unbeatable. More later, but sound improved drastically after 1 hour. My hope is that durability holds. PS- driver flex on only the right side during insertion, but seems to be lessening in severity, which is odd.

Dec 4, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #569 of 957

Quote:
Has anyone heard GR06? I am thinking of canceling my Ultraphile order and taking GR06 instead, what would you guys suggest?

Take the GR06. I just got the Ultraphiles on Tuesday, I let them burn in for about 3 days, and have been listening to them on and off between the days. It's now Sunday and the housings have fallen apart. They still work but I'm furious with how poorly made these IEM's are. I'm going to contact Thomas tomorrow and demand a full refund or replacement. I just can't believe this happened. They haven't even seen the inside of my jeans pocket yet.

Dec 4, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #570 of 957
^^that looks terrible.

Xears is marred with build quality issues. Thomas should set the basics right first. Though mine are still intact.

But, on arrival, A330PRO's cable wire was protruding outside the plastic sheath. And the channel imbalance in XE200PRO, more like bass is less in left channel (probably due to driver flex).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back