Xears Thread (formerly TD III)
Dec 4, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #571 of 957
Quote:
Take the GR06. I just got the Ultraphiles on Tuesday, I let them burn in for about 3 days, and have been listening to them on and off between the days. It's now Sunday and the housings have fallen apart. They still work but I'm furious with how poorly made these IEM's are. I'm going to contact Thomas tomorrow and demand a full refund or replacement. I just can't believe this happened. They haven't even seen the inside of my jeans pocket yet.

Cheap glue. A drop of superglue will fix them once and for all, as long as the wires are still connected. Pretty annoying, but I've seen the same on more expensive phones than the Xears.

Dec 5, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #572 of 957
Hmmm. I was wondering about that joint and I'll keep an eye on it. I am considering getting a second set of the Ultraphile, actually. Just for safe keeping, but the reliability issues have me a bit worried. I'd hate to be on the road, then have to bring a backup pair or buy a pair while I'm out. On another note, I've been all about Shures for years, but can no longer do it due to how poor the cabling is, the prices they charge, and the fact that the sound isn't as great as the price would dictate. I know they have new, replaceable cabling, but it doesn't erase the fact that they, for some reason, can't figure out how to make cables that don't crack in less than a year. So that's shure's hit and the Ultraphile sounds way better than my e3, which doesn't leave the house due to hardened cable insulation.

The sound is great from the Ultraphiles, however.  Even using my Nokia N8 and LCG Jukebox.

Dec 5, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #573 of 957

Quote:
Cheap glue. A drop of superglue will fix them once and for all, as long as the wires are still connected. Pretty annoying, but I've seen the same on more expensive phones than the Xears.

X2
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #575 of 957
I'm looking for a replacement for my TDII Titan, they are broken on one side.

I'm a basshead and I like a wide soundstage. Only thing that I didn't like that much about te TDII was the fit. They seemed a little too big for my small ear canals and I often had to fiddle around to avoid low pressure in my ears.

Any suggestions?

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #577 of 957

Quote:

I will notify Thomas first before I make any moves. I'm hoping I don't mess it up =X

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #578 of 957

Quote:
Take the GR06. I just got the Ultraphiles on Tuesday, I let them burn in for about 3 days, and have been listening to them on and off between the days. It's now Sunday and the housings have fallen apart. They still work but I'm furious with how poorly made these IEM's are. I'm going to contact Thomas tomorrow and demand a full refund or replacement. I just can't believe this happened. They haven't even seen the inside of my jeans pocket yet.

OK - to set the record straight. I contacted Thomas saying that they broke and it hasn't been a week. I was happy to know he didn't need an explanation. He said as long as I cut the cable and smash the housings with a hammer, he'll send me a new one at no cost. In the end, I said I'll try using a drop of superglue to hold the housings together. They still work so I'd rather save time and effort. He assured me if anything happens, just shoot him an e-mail with the cut wires and smashed housings and he'll send me a new one. I guess this makes me a happier Xears customer than I was when they broke. That said, I will still use them, weary of when their relationship with my ears will end.

Dec 8, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #579 of 957
I decided to buy a second set of ultraphiles, while the sale is still running.  I'm pretty satisfied with them, taking the failure above under advisement.

The right side driver flex I experienced when new is gone completely.  The sound has mellowed really well and is a great match for various types of metal.  From doom and stoner, it gives a great, warm feel and excellent separation and staging for the percussion, vocals, and feedback, along with giving a great feel to the bass.  With colder types of metal such as black or other, more technical types, like prog, it really shines and gives huge separation to everything going on and really brings those distant cymbals that seem behind it all a bit forward.  Reference is the Arch Matheos album from this year.

Also, maybe I'm the only one that notes this, but when cold, it seems like the Ultraphiles are radically different compared to other IEMs I've used.  Even at room temp, they seem to need time to come alive.

Dec 8, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #580 of 957

Quote:
I decided to buy a second set of ultraphiles, while the sale is still running.  I'm pretty satisfied with them, taking the failure above under advisement.

The right side driver flex I experienced when new is gone completely.  The sound has mellowed really well and is a great match for various types of metal.  From doom and stoner, it gives a great, warm feel and excellent separation and staging for the percussion, vocals, and feedback, along with giving a great feel to the bass.  With colder types of metal such as black or other, more technical types, like prog, it really shines and gives huge separation to everything going on and really brings those distant cymbals that seem behind it all a bit forward.  Reference is the Arch Matheos album from this year.

Also, maybe I'm the only one that notes this, but when cold, it seems like the Ultraphiles are radically different compared to other IEMs I've used.  Even at room temp, they seem to need time to come alive.

Interesting you say that. I'm going to have to experiment because I've also noticed inconsistency with my listening lately I think I'm just going crazy.

Dec 9, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #581 of 957
What amazes me about Xears is how such a cheap driver can give such detail, separation, soundstage and excelent mids, highs and bass for the price. They sound close to many so called high-end IEMs, despite the driver flex issues and poor build quality. My only complaint are the laid back mids (vocals), but this is personal preference, I prefer forward, more intimate vocals. Of course that they do not have the sparkle, dynamics and realism of the treble of lets say, a 400 EUR SM3, as well as separation, but for the price they're absolutely brilliant (I'm referring to 20 EUR which was the price I got them all in the past).

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #584 of 957
What amazes me about Xears is how such a cheap driver can give such detail, separation, soundstage and excelent mids, highs and bass for the price....

Notwithstanding the build quality issues, I agree with you, but I had to EQ every single model I tried to make them sound decent. That said my favorites are still the old Playaz/Xears N1 and among the newer ones only the Clearpower had similar potential. Imo their vented models sound better than the closed ones, though there are many that I haven't heard at all.

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #585 of 957
Did a quick comparison with Hippo VB. XE200PRO and TD III V2 sound much better. Enjoying these so much.

Cancelled Bwavz M2 order and going for B2 instead. I hope M2 is not any better than XE200PRO and TD III V2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back