Xears Thread (formerly TD III)
Nov 18, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #526 of 957
I'm voting for the TDII (NOT the TDIII v2). Strong bass but slightly less boomy than the TDIII and a wider soundstage.
Its treble is also a tad more clear and crisp.
It's freakin' awesome with electro/hiphop and oh yeah dubstep. 

Nov 18, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #527 of 957
I vote for TD II, crispier treble than the TD III with the wood housing. Wider soundstage too.
Bass quantity is more than the Brainwavz M1/M2, feels about the same as TD III, but slightly less boomy though I wouldn't call it tight sounding.
It's not a laid back phone like the M1, very high energy but the highs aren't piercing. 
I really can't get over how great the TD II is. Just awesome.

Nov 19, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #528 of 957

Quote:

Yes haha. I meant the ultraphiles. Also, which has the most supreme bass without lacking treble? I want to order the ultraphiles because they look nice, i love the flat cable, and i heard they are smaller than others. It seems the TD series is the most favored by the head-fi community BUT I'm not sure for what kind of music. If you think the ultraphiles will still fit my needs for supreme bass and quality trebles, please let me know. Thanks. (I'd rather order the A330Pro's BUT seeing that XSR330Pro are probably made at the same factory, I haven't heard as nice things about the xsr so i want to stay away from the a330. If anyone has input on those as well, please say so)

I listen to electro/house/hiphop

To be honest, since I returned my Ultraphile a week ago I can't offer you a direct comparison. They indeed look nice and the cable is also very nice. And yes, in retrospect they are also smaller than the XE200Pro. The bass is indeed quite strong and I can't remember any issues with the treble. The XE200Pro doesn't lack in either of this two categories, overall it just seems a bit more refined and balanced. If you want more information, just ask n0str3ss, he has the XE200Pro, TD-III and the XSR which seems to be fairly identical to the Ultraphile.

Nov 19, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #529 of 957
Anyone have any experience of the xe200pros against soundmagic e10? 

They are the two phones i am torn between but from what i have read, i am slightly worried about the build quality on the xears, but from jokers thread they would appear to edge it on sound quality.

Nov 19, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #530 of 957

Quote:
Anyone have any experience of the xe200pros against soundmagic e10? 

They are the two phones i am torn between but from what i have read, i am slightly worried about the build quality on the xears, but from jokers thread they would appear to edge it on sound quality.

From what I've read, the build quality on the Xears earphones aren't good. But, I looked at this thread by ljokerl

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-205-iems-compared-j-phonic-k2-sp-added-11-13-11#post_6492048

He rated my NuForce NE-6's a 3/5 for build quality and they lasted me 10 months and I even worked out in them multiple times per week.

In that case, what makes me not worry about Xears quality for all their headphones in the 3A category is because he rated the quality 3.5/5. Being that he himself has reviewed MANY headphones, I would think his opinion to contain very little variable between what he rates each earphone.

That said, I'm not worried about the quality because the Xears and NuForce earphones I had were both rated similarly. It's not like I haven't heard that the support from Xears wasn't good either. I'm going to order ultraphiles once I have the balls to pull the trigger lol

Nov 19, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #531 of 957

Quote:
From what I've read, the build quality on the Xears earphones aren't good. But, I looked at this thread by ljokerl

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-205-iems-compared-j-phonic-k2-sp-added-11-13-11#post_6492048

He rated my NuForce NE-6's a 3/5 for build quality and they lasted me 10 months and I even worked out in them multiple times per week.

In that case, what makes me not worry about Xears quality for all their headphones in the 3A category is because he rated the quality 3.5/5. Being that he himself has reviewed MANY headphones, I would think his opinion to contain very little variable between what he rates each earphone.

That said, I'm not worried about the quality because the Xears and NuForce earphones I had were both rated similarly. It's not like I haven't heard that the support from Xears wasn't good either. I'm going to order ultraphiles once I have the balls to pull the trigger lol

Be careful with rating for build quality. The Head direct RE0 is notorious for breaking but it has a sturdy metal case with proper strain reliefs, a 3.5mm L-plug and and decent cords. It's rated build quality 4/5 because it's solid but if the soldering inside disconnects or the metal shells split, well it's not built very well is it? Same sorta deal for the SE215 with 4/5.
You can't rate a product's reliability by one person's case. |Joker|'s reviews are extremely helpful but build quality does not equal reliability, you have to look at it collectively. He only buys 1 pair for a review, not 100 pairs to check how many have problems. 

Nov 19, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #532 of 957

Quote:

Be careful with rating for build quality. The Head direct RE0 is notorious for breaking but it has a sturdy metal case with proper strain reliefs, a 3.5mm L-plug and and decent cords. It's rated build quality 4/5 because it's solid but if the soldering inside disconnects or the metal shells split, well it's not built very well is it? Same sorta deal for the SE215 with 4/5.
You can't rate a product's reliability by one person's case. |Joker|'s reviews are extremely helpful but build quality does not equal reliability, you have to look at it collectively. He only buys 1 pair for a review, not 100 pairs to check how many have problems. 

good call good call, how long would you say my xears last me with week in and week out use? not heavy, but just going from place to place whether in the car, walking with them (plugged in, tucked in, ipod in pocket) or just thrown in my jeans pocket?

i see you own the TD III v2
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #533 of 957
I own TD III v2 and the TD II. I've only had them for couple of months though, and the TD II has been replaced.
I really can't say about how long it will last since it's mostly chance, but if it does break Thomas does a great job of replacing them. I got my TD II in about a week from my first email telling him it broke. The TDIII is doing just fine.

So basically you're covered for a year with warranty the rest is luck.

Nov 20, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #534 of 957

Quote:
I own TD III v2 and the TD II. I've only had them for couple of months though, and the TD II has been replaced.
I really can't say about how long it will last since it's mostly chance, but if it does break Thomas does a great job of replacing them. I got my TD II in about a week from my first email telling him it broke. The TDIII is doing just fine.

Thanks. That should be perfect. I've always been careful with my earphones and with the coupon code, it's definitely worth it. So even if they last me a couple months after warranty, I'll be happy :)

The only thing is, I can't decide between the XGF500Pro, Ultraphile and A330Pro. I'm leaning towards the A330Pro just because they don't look like the beats and look nicer than the XGF's. If anyone has an opinion, please say so. I'm planning on ordering tomorrow

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #535 of 957
Quote:

I had the TD100-I for 7 months before selling. IIRC, TD100-I had more driver flex than their latter line-up. None of the Xears I had (7 + 2 x Playaz) failed when I had them. But, TDIII did fail when I sent it over to a friend within a couple of days whereas the older TD100-I survived just fine for over a month with him. May be the trick is to have many Xears around so that they all survive longer due to rotation of use
tongue.gif
. But finding the best sounding Xears by model name is tougher than finding a needle in a haystack.

Nov 21, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #536 of 957

Quote:
I had the TD100-I for 7 months before selling. IIRC, TD100-I had more driver flex than their latter line-up. None of the Xears I had (7 + 2 x Playaz) failed when I had them. But, TDIII did fail when I sent it over to a friend within a couple of days whereas the older TD100-I survived just fine for over a month with him. May be the trick is to have many Xears around so that they all survive longer due to rotation of use
tongue.gif
. But finding the best sounding Xears by model name is tougher than finding a needle in a haystack.

Which models ended up being your favorite?

Nov 22, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #539 of 957
I'm currently a bit split on this.  Now I'm in Germany and Xears are well-priced direct via ebay, but I'm also a heavy headphone user, so I'm wondering if these will be more replaceable headphones in my drawer.  Unfortunately, two sets of Shures already fell to the cable insulation going hard then cracking.  I'm looking at TDs, as well as the n3i.  Lots of decisions, I guess.

I don't know if the feedback on the issues here is something I should also go with.

The other issue is not knowing the impedence.  I've moved from my iaudio7 to my phone, which certainly has lower power, but still great sound.  However, now impedence has become an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back