Would you sell your whole collection for just one SR009/amp
Sep 30, 2012 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 270

BoxBoxBox

Aka: AndrewG
With the expense of SR009/amp, would you sell all your components/headphones and just end up with one? Or is there still enough variety in sound that it is worth holding onto other headphones/amps/combos? I am trying to figure out if I should save money for a few months to get the Stax set-up or just sell all my equipment to fund it. 

Sep 30, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #2 of 270
Quote:
With the expense of SR009/amp, would you sell all your components/headphones and just end up with one? Or is there still enough variety in sound that it is worth holding onto other headphones/amps/combos? I am trying to figure out if I should save money for a few months to get the Stax set-up or just sell all my equipment to fund it. 

Not worth it. Stax are good, but they also have their flaws.
A Stax rig puts you into serious diminished returns territory.

But you really need to hear for yourself and decide if it's worth it or not.

Sep 30, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 270
it's absolutely worth it.  if you really need/want to tailor the sound signature, use an EQ - better to alter the frequency response while maintaining such awesome clarity and speed

Quote:

such as? 

Quote:
Not worth it. Stax are good, but they also have their flaws.

Sep 30, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 270
Quote:
it's absolutely worth it.  if you really need/want to tailor the sound signature, use an EQ - better to alter the frequency response while maintaining such awesome clarity and speed

such as? 

Haha..such a zealot! That's cool though.

One of the biggest flaws I personally find toward Stax are bass. This is heavily based on preference.
But ortho's simply are more engaging and do bass better...

Sep 30, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 270
Get rid of all orthos and replace them with SR-009 & amp? I have not heard the latter, but my answer would be no. Why? Variance is bliss.

Besides - my orthos are ant protected...

Sep 30, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #6 of 270
If I had to have one full-size set up, it would be Stax.

That said, I have a Stax setup and have repeatedly tried to sell my dynamics only to realize that the LCD-3 and HD800 have qualities that I don't seem to be able to let go of yet.  Stats still gets 80% of my listening time, but I would not guarantee to anyone that they aren't missing anything.  (disclosure: I've had 009's on loan but never at home for longer than a week - perhaps if I had a few weeks with them I'd be singing a different tune.)

As always, if at all possible, I would recommend trying to make a meet or two to figure out what you like.

Sep 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 270
Given that my collection of audio gear is nowhere near the $5,000 needed for an SR-009, let alone the $1,000 or more a proper Stax amp may cost, I'd probably do it if I didn't have to worry about the price disparity; that is, someone would just give me the setup if I sold all of my headphones.

If anything, I'm more concerned about how much I'd like the SR-009's comfort and sound presentation compared to the Normal bias SR-Lambda, which has quickly proven to be my favorite headphone ever at this rate, also beating out the later SR-202 due to superior midrange and greater comfort due to lower clamping force.

Sep 30, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #8 of 270
Yeah, if based on source of funds I would absolutely limit myself to one high-end setup than a few lesser cans/amps. I've heard the 009 and it's great, but lacking in bass (IMO). I realize that the Stax was meant as a hypothetical.

Sep 30, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #9 of 270
Just read the posts about the 009. I love the sound of my Stax system (way lower than 009) but I wouldn't give up my other cans for variety and comfort. If you can take the weight and comfort issue of the orthos you can get real close to Stax level without the expense of an 009 setup. Stax is great but it is not perfect nothing is. I would not lock myself into only Stax. The price of admission of the 009 and a great amp is for those that don't have to strain for the purchase. By the time you get the 009 and a great amp  you are into near 10K. Way too much for us mortals. Better to spend the extra cash on some music.

Sep 30, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #11 of 270
Quote:
when you get to sr009/amp combo, is this audio journey over? will it feel this way? you cant look forward to upgrade anymore? if its like that, then its no fun too...

It's just never as good as the fantasy.

Sep 30, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #12 of 270
The total of my gear isn't at the 10k or so I would need to buy the SR009 and the amp I would want for it. However if I could keep my dac but sell everything else and have just the SR009 and BHSE I would do so in a heartbeat.

Sep 30, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #13 of 270
Quote:
It's just never as good as the fantasy.

frown.gif
, maybe look forward to an orpheus or try out different amps? theres probably not much left to do... except just enjoy the music, i guess...

Sep 30, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #14 of 270
Quote:

frown.gif
, maybe look forward to an orpheus or try out different amps? theres probably not much left to do... except just enjoy the music, i guess...

Uh, the 009 is better than the Orpheus. I think the big problem here is hyperbole towards Stax. Even the BHSE + 009
doesn't do bass like an ortho and any number of SS or tube amps. It's just what they do bad, yet people act like they
are an unblemished headphone....

The question should be: Would you rather have HE-6, HD800, LCD-3, and x amp that equates to the mark of 009 and BHSE or the latter. haha.

Then it'd be a little more interesting...2cents.

Sep 30, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #15 of 270
Quote:
Uh, the 009 is better than the Orpheus. I think the big problem here is hyperbole towards Stax. Even the BHSE + 009
doesn't do bass like an ortho and any number of SS or tube amps. It's just what they do bad, yet people act like they
are an unblemished headphone....

The question should be: Would you rather have HE-6, HD800, LCD-3, and x amp that equates to the mark of 009 and BHSE or the latter. haha.

Then it'd be a little more interesting...2cents.

didnt say its better, just something to look forward to... i thought most people say they are around the same in sound quality? and you think high end dynamics/orthos can match sr009 in sound quality because sr009 doesnt do bass well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back