Would you sell your whole collection for just one SR009/amp
Oct 1, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #32 of 270
Hard to say, while the SR-009 really is the ultimate headphone (though I see some here prefer the Orpheus?) I would no doubt greatly miss the planar magnetic bassy sound for a large part of my music library.

Oct 1, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #33 of 270
My rather verbose two cents, for whatever that's actually worth.

I currently own over 200 pairs of headphones and earphones along with 15 different amps. If I could only own a single rig however, it would be a Stax flagship (SR-Omega, SR-007, or SR-009) and a high-end stat amp (DIYT2, BHSE, LL, or Electra). No question in my mind.

I've always approached this hobby from the mindset of a collector and archivist. To that end, the headphones themselves have been the object of my desire, both as a cultural artifact (their design, their context) and as different means of exploring music due to their various colorations.

If I were to have a single rig on the other hand, I would approach it from a completely different paradigm. The headphone I'd choose would be the one I felt best fulfilled its role as a headphone, not a cultural or personal artifact. For me this means the headphone that transmits music while not transmitting itself as much as possible, ie. the headphone that best gets out of the way and disappears (this includes wear comfort), the metaphoric window onto a recording. This isn't just a matter of frequency response however, but also listening involvement and spatial reproduction which can be highly personal factors. The Stax flagships when properly driven by a capable amp are the closest I've come to this through a pair of headphones as the vector.

While I personally think neutrality is a good thing, my definition of transparency has changed a bit over time. It's not necessarily a matter of neutrality, but rather it's defined in a negative sense by a lack of distraction. That's what I mean by "gets out of the way" ultimately. For some people, a neutral headphone might make its presence fully known by virtue of the fact that it's not making its presence know. Think deafening silence. A lack of coloration thus becomes a coloration. I think when one starts listening to the music and hearing past the headphones, then one has reached a state of transparency. In other words, for me transparency isn't so much an attribute as it is a process. One can listen past a pair of $20 earbuds and experience the music itself more than someone using music as a tool to feed a pair of $2k headphones. I don't think there's anything wrong with the latter however; it's merely a different set of needs and priorities.

For me personally, the SR-Omega, SR-007, and SR-009 have the least wrong with them and are thus the least distracting for me the most consistently. I can still enjoy music using a $20 pair of earbuds, but it's extremely circumstantial and takes a lot of effort. It's a classic case of ignorance accommodating bliss.

As an aside, I think there's a tendency for some head-fiers to fixate upon the "magical" quality of music. When we take part in head-fi, we enter into a symbolic order of established terminology and norms, and we're granted a language to use in speaking about our experiences and an audience for doing so. The catch is that we must distance ourselves from the immediacy of that experience to speak intelligibly about it. Our primordial enjoyment is now subjugated and contained within the order of audiophile culture. There is however a remainder left over, as it can't completely incapsulate that experience. It's felt in the discrepancies between impressions, the inadequacy of certain terms, confusion, etc.  I think on a certain level head-fiers desire to reclaim this, to recreate this pseudo-magical experience, and so they constantly chase one new product after another in an attempt to fill that void they feel, however as soon as they reach a new product---be it a new flagship IEM or miracle DAC---they discover that it's not quite "it" and so they move on to the next one. Desire is only desire insofar as it remains unfulfilled. Audiophile culture largely creates that desire with the promise of a headphone (or any other device) that truly captures the experience one longs for, truly gives the user that unbound primordial enjoyment and sense of satisfaction. Of course such a product doesn't exist, nor will it. But that's not the point. I think we know this on some level, yet we go along with it anyway, placing value in "the journey" so as to maintain our sense of order and purpose within this hobby. It's not necessarily a bad thing in that sense.

However I think this is perhaps the biggest obstacle for some people in having just one rig.

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #35 of 270
Quote:

Have you heard the SR-009 and Orpheus?  If so, you'd be in the minority with that opinion.  I've let people compare the SR-009 and Orpheus side by side with various amps and I'd estimate 80-90% preferred the Orpheus.

More bass doesn't mean better bass.  I find the SR-009 (and SR-007) does bass better than pretty much anything out there.  An accurate amount of slam, flat extension to 20Hz, and way more detail/texture than you'll get from the other headphones being discussed.

Yes, I have. I might be, but that's my opinion. The SR-009 is the best stat phone I've heard, but I would prefer the SR-007.

I'm not a bass head by any means, I just find the LCD-3's bass preferred. This isn't a crusade against Stax. They in fact do everything all around better than all headphones.
But that doesn't mean I would necessary prefer them, which I don't.

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #36 of 270
Quote:
My rather verbose two cents, for whatever that's actually worth.

I currently own over 200 pairs of headphones and earphones along with 15 different amps. If I could only own a single rig however, it would be a Stax flagship (SR-Omega, SR-007, or SR-009) and a high-end stat amp (DIYT2, BHSE, LL, or Electra). No question in my mind.

I thought your ultimate goal was to get the Orpheus setup.  Have your preference changed?  

In my case, the SR009 + DIY T2 is what I'm after also but I doubt that I'll sell everything to finance it.  IMO, the SR009 is extremely wonderful, but I still find the Qualia, R10, and HE90 to be too special to let go.

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #37 of 270
Quote:
With the expense of SR009/amp, would you sell all your components/headphones and just end up with one? Or is there still enough variety in sound that it is worth holding onto other headphones/amps/combos? I am trying to figure out if I should save money for a few months to get the Stax set-up or just sell all my equipment to fund it. 

After all these reports for SR-009's bright character I won't even sell my V200+LCD-2.2 combo. High-end is not accuracy and detail. High-end is MUSICALITY. And the opposite of musicality is brightness. :)

Oct 1, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #38 of 270
SR-009 + Yello and Infected Mushroom = fail or pass?

Oct 1, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #39 of 270
Quote:
I thought your ultimate goal was to get the Orpheus setup.  Have your preference changed?  

In my case, the SR009 + DIY T2 is what I'm after also but I doubt that I'll sell everything to finance it.  IMO, the SR009 is extremely wonderful, but I still find the Qualia, R10, and HE90 to be too special to let go.

My preferences haven't really changed, I was just speaking hypothetically. If I were to only have a single headphone + amp, it would be one of the Staxen. As much as I enjoy certain other headphones like the HE90 and Qualia, I just couldn't live with them as my only pair because they're too specialized to my ears.

I still plan on getting the HE90 at some point, but probably when I'm in a less transitional situation. I'm in the process of scaling back my collection quite a bit to just focus on my favorites, and these days I tend to prefer stats, but I still have a few dynamics I keep around that I enjoy.

Oct 1, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #40 of 270
After all these reports for SR-009's bright character I won't even sell my V200+LCD-2.2 combo. High-end is not accuracy and detail. High-end is MUSICALITY. And the opposite of musicality is brightness. :)

The 009s aren't bright with the right amp. They're extremely transparent. They'll seem bright if your amp, source, or music is tilted that way.

SR-009 + Yello and Infected Mushroom = fail or pass?

Absolutely pass.

Oct 1, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #41 of 270
While I've only heard the 007 and the 009 on the BHSE for about a week on loan.  I came away loving the 009s, and that BHSE is a good amp as well.  

With that being said.  I'll take the HE-6 paired with a high quality pure class A speaker amp with lots of head room over the 007s.  Now the HE-6 paired with a high quality Class A speaker amp Vs. the 009s  - Man - that's a tuff one.  I'll come out cheaper with the HE-6 rig and it won't be that far behind in performance either.  Infact in certain areas like bass response and bass quality well hell any thing bass related I'll that the HE-6.  Now on everything else I'll take the 009s.  I want to hear the 009s on a T2.

I going to go with no.  I'll spend the money on pure Class A mono blocks.  -  Just call me "OverKill"

Oct 1, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #42 of 270
Quote:
While I've only heard the 007 and the 009 on the BHSE for about a week on loan.  I came away loving the 009s, and that BHSE is a good amp as well.  

With that being said.  I'll take the HE-6 paired with a high quality pure class A speaker amp with lots of head room over the 007s.  Now the HE-6 paired with a high quality Class A speaker amp Vs. the 009s  - Man - that's a tuff one.  I'll come out cheaper with the HE-6 rig and it won't be that far behind in performance either.  Infact in certain areas like bass response and bass quality well hell any thing bass related I'll that the HE-6.  Now on everything else I'll take the 009s.  I want to hear the 009s on a T2.

I going to go with no.  I'll spend the money on pure Class A mono blocks.  -  Just call me "OverKill"

I think we should move away from this "A vs. B" approach. If you can swing it, a Stax setup and a dynamic setup are both valid and bring different kinds of joy and it pays to have both.
It's a meaningless question whether my 009-system is "better" than than my TH900 system. Once you tweak your system enough to get rid of painful artifacts, you will enjoy one or another depending on your mood.
That's a great plus for headphone systems over speaker one, because it's practical to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back