Would you sell your whole collection for just one SR009/amp
Sep 30, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #16 of 270
Quote:

didnt say its better, just something to look forward to... i thought most people say they are around the same in sound quality? and you think high end dynamics/orthos can match sr009 in sound quality because sr009 doesnt do bass well?

It's always about preference. I didn't say anything like that. There's no 1 headphone that does it all. Furthermore,
I've already said for my preferences I prefer orthos, in part because of bass.

Overall I'd prefer the LCD-3, not that they get everything right either. They work better for my taste. 

The HE-6 on speaker taps gets pretty damn close to stax performance though, so....

Sep 30, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #17 of 270
Quote:
It's always about preference. I didn't say anything like that. There's no 1 headphone that does it all. Furthermore,
I've already said for my preferences I prefer orthos, in part because of bass.

Overall I'd prefer the LCD-3, not that they get everything right either. They work better for my taste. 

The HE-6 on speaker taps gets pretty damn close to stax performance though, so....

i know its getting off topic but will you be getting the lff's paradox anytime soon? interested to see your opinion on it...

Sep 30, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #18 of 270
Quote:

i know its getting off topic but will you be getting the lff's paradox anytime soon? interested to see your opinion on it...

Eventually. I just seem to always put it on the back burner. Preproman will be able to compare them to the Mad Dogs though...
Eventually....when he gets them back. haha.

Sep 30, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #19 of 270
very much looking forward to his and your impressions, i have a stock t50rp that i dont use AT ALL!!! its weird sound, i never like it. around christmas, i should have my fostex hpp1 with a moon audio silver dragon LOD cable... cant wait... (waiting impatiently
frown.gif
)

Sep 30, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #20 of 270
I would definitely trade everything i have for an Sr-009, since thats my end goal im working towards right now anyways.

Theres not a headphone out there, that ive heard, that has the same magic as the 009s do. Sure the HE-6s sound close off of a good speaker amp, but its almost like an uncanny valley thing for me. The closer they get, the easier it is to tell that they just arent there.

But im not a "multiple flavors" guy. i think theres one sound im looking for, and it works for all the music i listen to, and the Sr-009s are it.

Also, i dont like any other stax headphones, i think the 009s are the only ones that can do bass right.

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #22 of 270
I personally don't have a problem with Stax bass. If there isn't enough, that's what bass boost/EQ is for.

Then again, I'm not looking for my headphones to give me a head concussion. I actually rather like the "ethereal" presentation they have.

As he said, desired audio equipment is very much down to personal preference. Stax may be right up my alley, but it isn't for everyone. Only a first-hand audition will let you determine if it's right for you or not.

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #23 of 270
Quote:
Uh, the 009 is better than the Orpheus. I think the big problem here is hyperbole towards Stax. Even the BHSE + 009
doesn't do bass like an ortho and any number of SS or tube amps. It's just what they do bad, yet people act like they
are an unblemished headphone....

The question should be: Would you rather have HE-6, HD800, LCD-3, and x amp that equates to the mark of 009 and BHSE or the latter. haha.

Then it'd be a little more interesting...2cents.

Have you heard the SR-009 and Orpheus?  If so, you'd be in the minority with that opinion.  I've let people compare the SR-009 and Orpheus side by side with various amps and I'd estimate 80-90% preferred the Orpheus.

More bass doesn't mean better bass.  I find the SR-009 (and SR-007) does bass better than pretty much anything out there.  An accurate amount of slam, flat extension to 20Hz, and way more detail/texture than you'll get from the other headphones being discussed.

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #24 of 270
Quote:

More bass doesn't mean better bass.  I find the SR-009 (and SR-007) does bass better than pretty much anything out there.  An accurate amount of slam, flat extension to 20Hz, and way more detail/texture than you'll get from the other headphones being discussed.

Bass heads will seldom be satisfied with Stax. They are too accurate for listeners who want more bass than there is on the recording. I am not in that category and I am 100% with the Stax sound.

Unfortunately, hearing this stuff at a meet is not adequate. You have to spend time with the rigs. It takes time to get used to any new presentation, and especially to find out what it is like to listen to less distortion than you are used to. On first listen it seems like something is missing. And it is. Inaccurate reproduction usually exaggerates some things. Given time, most end up preferring accuracy. But not hard core bass heads. Horses for courses.

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #25 of 270
I've owned both for prolonged periods, with overlap - I find the SR-009s piss all over the Orpheus

I couldn't agree more with your point about Stax bass, however.  This, on top of the fact that only 1 in 500 recordings even approaches 30hz, let alone 20hz

Quote:

Have you heard the SR-009 and Orpheus?  If so, you'd be in the minority with that opinion.  I've let people compare the SR-009 and Orpheus side by side with various amps and I'd estimate 80-90% preferred the Orpheus.

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #26 of 270
As for the title question...I did. I don't regret it at all. 

Owned HE500s, LCD 2.2s, HD800s, D7000, and heard many current production top tier cans (No T1)...The SR-009 poops all over them. 

I can't believe the comments about the bass. There's really no contest even from the various orthos. Not quite as much, but oh so much nicer. They also respond better to EQ than any ortho I've heard so that point is moot. 

They're more comfortable than any ortho I've worn and only bested by the D7000 in that department.

To put this in perspective though...The 009 is the only stat can I've heard that I liked. 

Oct 1, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #27 of 270
Quote:
I've owned both for prolonged periods, with overlap - I find the SR-009s piss all over the Orpheus

I couldn't agree more with your point about Stax bass, however.  This, on top of the fact that only 1 in 500 recordings even approaches 30hz, let alone 20hz

Maybe this n3rdling guy's hearing is simply "far far different from most"
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back