World Trade Center...An Oliver Stone film
Aug 2, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #31 of 87
I guess I'm the only one who has seen the trailer for this movie? I forgot which movie it was shown before, but I swear I saw this trailer over a month ago and it seemed very tastefully done. It looks like it's going to be a really powerful movie, but I can't tell the future. Oliver Stone has had his ups and downs over the years with me, but from the trailer, this movie looks like it's going to be very touching.

[POSSIBLE SPOILERS]
The hispanic locksmith guy from Crash is in it as well as Nicholas Cage. It is the story of two brave policeman on that day. From what I remember, they are some of the first to respond and end up coming down when one of the buildings collapsed.

Does nobody remember just a few months ago when United 93 came out? I had mixed feelings about it, still haven't seen it, but it's been reviewed and praised as a great film. I see no reason why this couldn't be any different.

For what it's worth, I live in New York and know at least two people with family members that died on 9/11.

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #32 of 87
It should have been a documentary and not a film portrayal. It's a shame really. I will not see this movie, the memories are too fresh and vivid.

Aug 2, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #33 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
and stone isn't the only one benefitting from 9/11. i'll just leave it at "bullsh!t power grab" and let you figure out the rest.

touché

Aug 2, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #34 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by vinyl addict
When will they ever stop. Does Hollywood have no shame? I know it's a true story "in their own words" but I have a few of my own words for this film...Kiss my boney *****!! I believe some of the profits should go to the victims, the homeless, whomever....this is such an embarrassment to be exploiting a horrific event like this. Shame on you Mr. Stone and shame on you Paramount!!

Who will see this film? You can count me out

Perhaps you've forgotten how many films were made about Pearl Harbor..

http://history.acusd.edu/gen/filmnotes/pearl-films.html

And I don't even think that covers them all.

Edit: Search IMDB.com for pearl harbor and it gives others as well.

Whether it's time or not, that's a matter of opinion. If you aren't ready to see it, don't watch the film until you are. But why criticize him for making the film? He dealt with the tragedy in a different way than you so why should he be slandered for it? I suppose they shouldn't make any films about it so future generations won't have different view points on what happened and how people reacted?

On a side note, Hollywood is and always has been completely about money. This should come as no surprise.

Aug 2, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #35 of 87
Well, there has been alot of successful stories based on tragedies, and I don't think there is anything wrong with them. Remember Titanic?

But yes, I do agree it is way too early for a film based on 911 to come out. I joked about americans making a film out of the tragedy 5 years ago, and I am equally surprised that they actually did. Surprised they made it so soon I guess. Back in 2001, watching the towers collapse was absolute horror. I still get goosebumps watching clips only a few minutes long a youtube. Are there really so many people prepared to watch the entire process through for 2 hours? Try this first.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=u001bO5gT...20phone%20call

Now, it looks like there are movies out of three of the planes. I wonder if the one that hit Pentagon will come out as well?

Aug 2, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #36 of 87
Oh no, this will be directed by Oliver Stone??
I really don't like his style at all. In fact I actually hate his movies. His films are so cheesy. I'll see it anyway and try to have an open mind but if he incorporates his dramatised cheesiness with that over blown Hollywood sensation style, it will really be lame. Oh well.

Aug 3, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #37 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs
Oh no, this will be directed by Oliver Stone??
I really don't like his style at all. In fact I actually hate his movies. His films are so cheesy. I'll see it anyway and try to have an open mind but if he incorporates his dramatised cheesiness with that over blown Hollywood sensation style, it will really be lame. Oh well.

you said it. stone is so ham fisted with his storytelling. and remember last year's "alexander"? good lord what a stinker!

as far as "world trade center", two words. TOO. SOON.

Aug 3, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #38 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by vinyl addict
Please keep it open and NO political comments....and boycott this film!!

LOL, isn't boycotting the film a political statement?

Personally, I don't see what Hollywood sees in making a movie about a historical event that occurred a mere five years ago. Do they really have nothing better to do?

Oh, which completely ignores the larger point: SNAKES ON A PLANE!

-Matt

P.S. From some of the comments I have read, I know this thread is going to get locked really soon, and perhaps deservedly so.

Aug 3, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #39 of 87
ttrtok4.jpg

if you don't think millions of dollars already have been made from 9/11, check out this google ad from right in this thread.

i mean, What is a "twin towers ringtone"? the sound of a crashing building and the words "oh sh!t" over and over?

Aug 3, 2006 at 7:55 AM Post #42 of 87
Heh, I was by City Hall when the second plane hit 2WT. I don't want to watch a film about someone trying to kill me. Makes me uncomfortable.

Aug 3, 2006 at 8:42 AM Post #43 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
I don't think it's too early for this film at all. The Vietnam war ended in 1975. Apocalypse Now was made in 1979. Dr. Strangelove was made during the height of the Cold War.

The Vietnam-era film, The Green Berets, with John Wayne starring was also made during the height of conflict.

Aug 3, 2006 at 8:45 AM Post #44 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I'm not watching this one.

Didn't Oliver Stone once make controversial conspiracy theory movies? My have times changed.

-Ed

Well, if you don't consider Alexander as too homoerotic
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2006 at 10:30 AM Post #45 of 87
When I walked into the theater to watch United 93, I was almost prepared to be offended by a Hollywood cash grab, an insensitive movie that turned tragedy into a marketable storyline. But that movie was exactly what a 9/11 movie has to be: tasteful and understated. It wasn't Hollywood, it was human.

That being said, as much as I'd like World Trade Center to be a good movie, it's not looking good. When I think of a role like this, the guy from Con Air just doesn't come to mind. It's setting itself up to be way too much of a Hollywood blockbuster movie. But I still plan on watching it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back