World Trade Center...An Oliver Stone film
Aug 3, 2006 at 10:33 AM Post #46 of 87
Well, I just read a decent review on IMDB.COM, and it seems encouraging. I recommend others to read it themselves as well.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0469641/

In short, it seems like the story is focused on the people dealing with the disaster first hand in the perspective of certain port authority officers. One detail I do appreciate is that they spared the scene when the planes crash. They also seemed to have removed politics and controversy such as how the towers collapsed vertically through...demolition and the collapsing of WTC7 for unknown reasons, but lets plz not get into that here.

I think I'll watch it.

Aug 3, 2006 at 10:35 AM Post #47 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep
That being said, as much as I'd like World Trade Center to be a good movie, it's not looking good. When I think of a role like this, the guy from Con Air just doesn't come to mind. It's setting itself up to be way too much of a Hollywood blockbuster movie. But I still plan on watching it.

Totally agreed. Although in the place of Conair, I was thinking 'Lord of war'.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuri Orlov
Back then, I didn't sell to Osama Bin Laden. Not because of moral reasons, but because he was always bouncing checks.

Aug 3, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #48 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_baseball_08
Whether it's time or not, that's a matter of opinion. If you aren't ready to see it, don't watch the film until you are. But why criticize him for making the film? He dealt with the tragedy in a different way than you so why should he be slandered for it? I suppose they shouldn't make any films about it so future generations won't have different view points on what happened and how people reacted?

On a side note, Hollywood is and always has been completely about money. This should come as no surprise.

Hollywood has most of America by the balls. They know what makes us tick, our weaknesses and strengths, how we think, how we respond and we just gobble it up, well...some of us anyway. This is a feeble attempt by Paramount to cash in and make millions. If you plan to see the film you should ask yourself WHY and how you should approach it....are you really prepared mentally and emotionally?

It's gonna be an emotional rollercoaster ride dealing with human struggle, courage, survival, good & evil....the perfect recipe for a Hollywood blockbuster. Many people have expressed that it is way too soon for this film release but why do you think that is? - It will bring in more $$$ for Paramount since 9/11 is still embedded in the back of our brain.

For those who plan to see it, I hope it will bring out the best in all of us as human beings. I for one will never see this film. With respect to the people that have lost a loved one, the victims and the survivors, I share your grief. Paramount should not profit from this film....I will donate my ticket price and send the full 100% to a 9/11 charity....you should do the same.

- WTC Memorial Foundation (www.buildthememorial.org)
- The Tribute Center NYC (www.911wvfa.org)
- Tuesday's Children (www.tuesdayschildren.org)
- New York Police and Fire Widows' & Children's Benefit Fund (www.nypfwc.org)

Aug 3, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #50 of 87
of course 9/11 was a huge tragedy, but alot of movies are based on real tragedies... some of them are personal ones, some are national... this one just happens to be a national one and i guess everyone is upset. so that's not ok... but its ok to see a film about a real life tragic event by a specific person (Beautiful Mind) in which their family will be the only ones affected by it... i mean i know that this movie will make people remember those horrific events, but if you don't see it, you won't be affected...

for me, its pretty simple, if you think they are profiting from this film, then do your part and not watch it. that way they make less money. but there are those that want to see the movie because its not about tragedy, its about the fire fighter's courage. and why shouldn't paramount profit from this? so they're supposed to eat the cost of making a movie that inspires people to be courageous under the worst circumstances? that's a little unfair.

Aug 3, 2006 at 2:26 PM Post #51 of 87
I'm not American, but I do have plenty of friends in NYC that I was very worried about on that day. I have a good friend whom I grew up with who was there that day stuck on the Brooklyn bridge watching the events. I also remember how Ottawa (Canada's national capital for those unaware) was pretty well locked down too because of the threats. It was a nasty day for all not just Americans, so I think we can all have some sort of valid opinion on this one, at least North Americans.

I think it is too soon. By that I mean, the 5 year "anniversary" is just over a month away and two movies have thus far been released. In my mind I feel as if Hollywood execs, after about 6 months, began to feed the gerbils with thoughts of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I can see it clearly in my mind...slimey gluttoness execs predicting the exact timing where they won't get hammered by the media but that they can maximize profit off of these events. Hmmm 5 years is long enough right? Sure sure, 5 years sound peeeerrrrrrrfffffect! Blah.

I wouldn't doubt that both the 9/11 movies are emotional moving well put together and worth the ticket price on those merits alone. The problem is the baggage for me. I don't have a problem retelling human tragedy. It helps us remember, but this event, such an enormous event, it is quite fresh in our minds, we don't need to relive it just yet, we are still healing.

Wars are different, massacres during a war might not be, but the overall concept of a war is very distinct from a specific event like the 9/11. Something more in line with this would be the dropping of the H bomb. How long was it until a film centering on the gas chambres came out? Has Hollywood ever made a film about the bombing of Hiroshima? How the people reacted, the long-term effects etc? If not...why? Because it puts Americans in a bad light? Because the money would not be there? That event happened over 50 years ago and it one of the most monumental moments in human history!

No, this movie is being made for the sole reason that they can make a good ton off of it. Just enough time has passed that the Hollywood execs won't be linched, but not enough time has passed that the heart strings won't literally be pulled right out of a good many who go and see it. Perfect for profit. PFP [size=xx-small]TM[/size] Meh. I won't see it.

That all said, if 100% of the GROSS (you know...where the actual profits come from) after the crew were paid (not the studio/execs) went to the charities, I would feel differently, then the pulling on the heart strings would be to benefit the families who lost loved ones, that would be a solid act of kindless and not slimeyness .

Aug 3, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #52 of 87
I personally don't think it's too early for a film, but like I stated earlier, that's a personal choice that should made by each and every person. And people shouldn't bash each other for dealing with the tragedy in different ways. For some people this movie may be a good way to sort of let go of their loved ones. Who knows? We all deal with tragedy in different ways.

I won't see the film but not because it's "too early."

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinyl addict
I will donate my ticket price and send the full 100% to a 9/11 charity....you should do the same.

This is probably the best idea I've heard yet and I believe I'll do the same.

Aug 3, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #53 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_baseball_08
Perhaps you've forgotten how many films were made about Pearl Harbor..

http://history.acusd.edu/gen/filmnotes/pearl-films.html

And I don't even think that covers them all.

Edit: Search IMDB.com for pearl harbor and it gives others as well.

Whether it's time or not, that's a matter of opinion. If you aren't ready to see it, don't watch the film until you are. But why criticize him for making the film? He dealt with the tragedy in a different way than you so why should he be slandered for it? I suppose they shouldn't make any films about it so future generations won't have different view points on what happened and how people reacted?

On a side note, Hollywood is and always has been completely about money. This should come as no surprise.

If you look at your own source, you'll see that all the releases chronologically near to Pearl Harbor are either documentaries, unreleased footage, or a bond film. The first film for strictly entertainment purposes came in 1970.

I guess thats my only beef with this movie (assuming its respectfully done and all). There hasn't been much of a span between the events and the movies, United 93 or this.

Aug 3, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #54 of 87
Quote:

I will donate my ticket price and send the full 100% to a 9/11 charity....you should do the same.

Thanks for the links. However, since this is a free country, I think everybody "should" be free to choose for themselves the charities or causes to which they wish to contribute. There are many worthy causes out there, and many in need of help, both here and around the world.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #55 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs
Despite our differences, one thing we I think we can all agree on, I doubt the airlines will be playing this movie on the flights.

LOL.

Anyways,
Who cares if a guy made a movie like this?

The only way to show your opinion is whether you watch it or not.
I'm quite sure most of won't watch it to express our point of hate and shame for the director/producer, etc.

Aug 3, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #56 of 87
Quote:

Addendum - 10% of all WTC ticket sales in every theatre across USA, more than 2000 theatres - for the films opening five days will go to these charities.

Good to know but 10% for 5 days is peanuts....

Not to sound negative, but the last two of those charities don't need the money any longer. All of the widows and children of 9/11 victims have received multi-million dollar settlements. They're set for life. Even though no amount of money can bring back their lost relatives, they don't need any more money.

I would urge people with money to spare to donate it to charities that take care of widows and children of soldiers killed in the Iraq war. These people receive almost nothing in compensation or charity support, often lose their homes (they lose their subsidized housing on bases soon after their horrible loss), and generally have a really hard time making ends meet. There is a good list of charities for widows and families here:
http://www.goldstarwives.org/resources.html

Aug 3, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #57 of 87
Anyone read Ray's book about The Doors, and the choice words he had about Oliver Stone? Interesting stuff, and I thought it wasn't out of the realm of believiblity. Although there's probably some professional resentment there because Ray himself could have made something better, had the ability if he just thought of it, and he himself could be guilty of the same things Stone might have been guilty, but there it is, interesting stuff, gives some nice backround on the real winner Stone apparently is.
smily_headphones1.gif

As for Alexander, funny thing is, if you'd asked the actual Alexander, he'd have probably been curious as to where all the homoerotic stuff was hiding.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Having said that, I obviously haven't seen the movie, never even heard about it because movies often get released late here, but of course it has the right to be made. Whether or not it's good, or if it's horrible, that will be decided by the critics and the public. And for those who are turned off by the potential exploitiveness of it, I hope you remember what turns you off about it, and apply that to other things in life as well, because this would not have been the first time a tragedy was exploited.

But those debates, as to whether or not it was exploitation are for after the movie has actually been seen and judged. In the meantime, I just have a real problem with the attitude of picking and choosing the lessons of history you want to talk about or remember. That kind of selective memory may be what helps us live our lives, but we can't all just selectively choose the best bits to remember. We can't say X is ok to have in the public forum for open discussion while Y is a forbidden topic. That's a dangerous way of thinking because it limits our own intelligence. Of course it's never too early or too late to take a look at events, even if they're not events you like.

How does that phrase go, those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it? No, history is not a dirty word, a forbidden subject, and always question people who make it seem so.

Aug 3, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #58 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I'm not watching this one.

Didn't Oliver Stone once make controversial conspiracy theory movies? My have times changed.

-Ed

Actually, I heard that Stone has been working on this film since 1999.

Aug 3, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #59 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
Actually, I heard that Stone has been working on this film since 1999.

that gold, jerry! GOLD!

Aug 4, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #60 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
Thanks for the links. However, since this is a free country, I think everybody "should" be free to choose for themselves the charities or causes to which they wish to contribute. There are many worthy causes out there, and many in need of help, both here and around the world.
smily_headphones1.gif

The links to these charities were taken from the WTC main movie site and are just a few suggestions - by all means, do choose your favourite charity....take care Phil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back