World Trade Center...An Oliver Stone film
Aug 4, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #61 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY
Not to sound negative, but the last two of those charities don't need the money any longer. All of the widows and children of 9/11 victims have received multi-million dollar settlements. They're set for life. Even though no amount of money can bring back their lost relatives, they don't need any more money.

I would urge people with money to spare to donate it to charities that take care of widows and children of soldiers killed in the Iraq war. These people receive almost nothing in compensation or charity support, often lose their homes (they lose their subsidized housing on bases soon after their horrible loss), and generally have a really hard time making ends meet. There is a good list of charities for widows and families here:
http://www.goldstarwives.org/resources.html

Alan. I'm happy to hear that some received the help that was needed and thanks for the suggestion regarding the fallen soldiers. We all have our favourite charities and even $15.00 will help. I'll feel better knowing that the admission price for this film is going to those who are in a tough situation, people in need of financial assistance, every little bit helps - Paramount does not need financial assistance....lifestyle is something that people in need can only hope for.

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #62 of 87
I was devastated, scared and incensed by the events 9-11, but five years is five years. I'm not offended by a film coming out now. Maybe the film is a good thing for people like me, slightly numbed survivors (of life) who need a reminder...

Aug 4, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #65 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel-O-Tron
I'm surprised Hollywood didn't make a film about Columbine :<

Unless you count Michael Moore as "Hollywood," who did both Farenheit 911 and Bowling for Columbine pretty darn soon after the events.

Aug 4, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #66 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
I was devastated, scared and incensed by the events 9-11, but five years is five years. I'm not offended by a film coming out now. Maybe the film is a good thing for people like me, slightly numbed survivors (of life) who need a reminder...

Hi, I have tried to ignore this thread but cannot any longer.

We lost two family members in the second tower, close to us.. There are still unfinished issues and insurance caveats lingering,along with idiots whom contact are relatives, and their respective husbands/wives, with jackass rhetoric and stupid solicitation calls, along with movie makers, book writers, and network sponsors..it is sick. There is a surplus of captitalism surrounding this tragedy than needs be..and no one will be interested in seeing the 13th version of the real life event in twenty years at this point..this movie seems too close from the actual event, and does not appear that the 1-5 year olds born since need "refreshing" yet..
blink.gif

I think the real life trauma, and "movie that lasted 8+ hours" was good enough for the typical American..
blink.gif

anyway, will not be paying Mr Stone for his work here, although I like his stuff sometimes..Very interesting subject matter

Aug 4, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #67 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Unless you count Michael Moore as "Hollywood," who did both Farenheit 911 and Bowling for Columbine pretty darn soon after the events.

those two movies are documentaries, not overdramatic hollywood movies.
this film is coming out way too soon. people talk about films about vietnam wars coming out right after the war, but that's a war, this is about a single day's event. being an act of terrorism on our soil is very shocking and upsetting to many people. nobody wants to be reminded of that terrible day just when they're about to move on. you don't see the movie munich coming out 5 years after the incident. it was more than 30 years later that a movie was made about it.
a movie about terrorist acts should be made for later generations, to show them what happened, not to the same people that had to live through it already.

and besides, what movie with nicholas cage in it is a good movie?

Aug 5, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #68 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel-O-Tron
I'm surprised Hollywood didn't make a film about Columbine :<

Gus Van Zandt's "Elephant" is pretty much based on Columbine.

Aug 5, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #69 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn

In fairness, they are documentaries, not films, and so in order to make certain the info received was fresh and legit, it necessitates close proximity to the event. that said...he made a boatload and well...I'm not cool with that given the timing.

Aug 5, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #70 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
this movie seems too close from the actual event, and does not appear that the 1-5 year olds born since need "refreshing" yet..
blink.gif

I meant adults like myself who observe the tragedy of daily life may find some spark of compassion 'refreshed' in reliving the 9-11 tragedy. But babies are beaten to death weekly by impoverished parents. Eight year old girls are sold into sexual slavery. The dumb are abused and starved. Children have their backs broken to be made into more efficient beggars in Asia. American toddlers die regularly of cancer in their mother's arm. This happens daily. Do I mourn the victims of 9-11 from five years ago anymore than these victims of yesterday or today? No, I don't have the time or the strength to. Anyone who did would spend eternity weeping. Are those killed in NYC on the day of the attack still on my mind? No, I let them pass as I let the newborn discarded and suffocated in the trash this morning leave my mind. As hundreds of thousands die, starve or are killed around us each day, like most of us, I can only shake my head and think: "How terrible." And then let it pass. It's the only sane thing to do. The victims of 9-11? How terrible, that was. But for me, it has passed. If you still live with it, I'm sorry. That's the nature of personal tragedy - not tragedy. My father died a painful death of cancer four years ago. I wouldn't feel a wit of anger if you could care less. I just wouldn't expect or ask you to as a stranger. But if you're angered at me for not suffering five years of remorse for a group of strangers' deaths, my answer would be I don't have the time or energy -- at 48, I'm on my own deadline. Nobody escapes the big call up.

Aug 6, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #71 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
In fairness, they are documentaries, not films, and so in order to make certain the info received was fresh and legit, it necessitates close proximity to the event. that said...he made a boatload and well...I'm not cool with that given the timing.

I thought documentaries were based on fact. Clearly this was propganda. Even one of the marines in the movie is taking legal action because he was FOR the war, and Michael Moore portrayed him as against it. And that's just a taste of the BS he adds to support his ideas.

Anyway, Michael Moore is a joke to me, so on the trade center - I have no desire to relive that. Not only that, but every camera angle and "real" fact is documented, so making a movie adds nothing to what we already have seen.

The Titanic sinking scene showed me what that might have been like since there obviously was no video of that scene. This movie will add nothing ...

Aug 6, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #73 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
I thought documentaries were based on fact. Clearly this was propganda. Even one of the marines in the movie is taking legal action because he was FOR the war, and Michael Moore portrayed him as against it. And that's just a taste of the BS he adds to support his ideas.

Anyway, Michael Moore is a joke to me, so on the trade center - I have no desire to relive that. Not only that, but every camera angle and "real" fact is documented, so making a movie adds nothing to what we already have seen.

The Titanic sinking scene showed me what that might have been like since there obviously was no video of that scene. This movie will add nothing ...

What happened to the "no politics" rule?
wink.gif
One peron's truth is another's lie.

Aug 6, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #74 of 87
I don't personally have a problem with this movie being made, we all knew it would happen, probably later than sooner, but we knew it.

I think the problem is that it is being made by Stone about the worst terrorist act in our history, not the most moderate of film makers by any means about an extremely sensitive and volatile subject. War is a very different thing. From the reviews I have read, it seems like he left the politics at home, which is very good, but I still have a hard time with it.

Since I don't live anywhere near NY and wasn't even in the country when it happened, 9/11 was a bit distant for me. I still had many of the same feelings as have been expressed here; it's too early, it's being made for profit, Oliver Stone?!?, Nicolas Cage?!?!?, which are all good and valid arguments in their own right. I really do feel bad for those of you who lived near the towers and had to go through that. I think more money should go to the families. Only %10 in the first five days??? Are you kidding me? I don't see this movie doing well, just look at how many people in this thread won't go. I hope the film is good, I'm sure I'll see it on dvd.

Next up: Hurricane Katrina a Jerry Bruckheimer film...

Slade

Aug 6, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #75 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
I thought documentaries were based on fact. Clearly this was propganda.

You may well be right. I'm not an expert on American politics and all that went into the documentary. I will say though, that documentaries, spun or not, need the facts earlier than later as memories fade and or get distorted. Regarding Columbine, which he made a boatload off of, he could have donated it all to the school or to the community etc. I'm not sure what he did, or if he donated a good portion to various charities. I'm basically never hip to folks making money off of the misfortunes of others (who are still living) and then pocketting it all. If mega bucks are made and then redistributed to charities or meant for future good works then I'm more neutral at least with regards to that point, timing though still urks me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back