World Trade Center...An Oliver Stone film
Aug 2, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #16 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
i find most of Stone's movies to be ostentatious appeals to the baser human instincts. underthought and overwrought.

so it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that he's trying to manipulate the raw emotions of the general public. that's his MO.

Good point. The last Oliver Stone film I saw was Natural Born Killers....pathetic. Either he's a genius or he knows his audience...perhaps it's a bit of both.

Aug 2, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #17 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by vinyl addict
Good point. The last Oliver Stone film I saw was Natural Born Killers....pathetic. Either he's a genius or he knows his audience...perhaps it's a bit of both.

I thought NBK was very good. Not planning on seeing this movie though.

Aug 2, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #18 of 87
I didn’t see United 93 and I won’t see this next 9/11 flick. I think it’s still too fresh and to profit so soon off such a horrid thing is despicable. It’s like they are a bunch of hungry vultures profiteering off human flesh. It also irks me to no end to even think that the proceeds aren’t being shared with the families that lost loved ones that day because at least 50% should be prorated and go directly to the families’ tax free (or possibly based on need). I’ve yet to hear that anything from these films is going to the families. It’s wrong and sick.

Aug 2, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #19 of 87
oliver stone is a hell of a movie maker. i don't like everything he does, and his films tend towards operatic excess, but i have little doubt wtc is going to be a very powerful film.

all this bashing before the movie even comes out reminds me of "last temptation of christ", when religious groups were condemning the film without seeing it. you critics must have some kind of crystal ball that shows you if a film is good or bad even before it is released. amazing! can i get some stock tips while you're at it?

Aug 2, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #20 of 87
I don't think it's too early for this film at all. The Vietnam war ended in 1975. Apocalypse Now was made in 1979. Dr. Strangelove was made during the height of the Cold War.

Now, whether I personally want to go see it is a different story, but I have no problem with the movie being made. Any movie based on historical events will, in some way, be "profiting at the expense of others' misery."

Secondly, I believe 10% of the profits are going to charity.

Aug 2, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #22 of 87
I think there are two different issues at play here. First, the movie itself, which I don’t know whether it will be good, so-so, or bad and second, the idea that someone is getting richer at the expense of innocent civilians' blood. I think 10% is a publicity move to offset the 9/11 families that made public outcries about the picture. I am only casting judgment on the failure to properly compensate the families for profiteering off their loss and the timing. I think Apocalypse Now and Dr. Strangelove are quite different then the 9/11 films.

I just can't support such a film right now with my greenbacks in good conscience.

Aug 2, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #23 of 87
Addendum - 10% of all WTC ticket sales in every theatre across USA, more than 2000 theatres - for the films opening five days will go to these charities.

- WTC Memorial Foundation (www.buildthememorial.org)
- The Tribute Center NYC (www.911wvfa.org)
- Tuesday's Children (www.tuesdayschildren.org)
- New York Police and Fire Widows' & Children's Benefit Fund (www.nypfwc.org)

Good to know but 10% for 5 days is peanuts....

Aug 2, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #24 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by vinyl addict
Good to know but 10% for 5 days is peanuts....

let's say it does a gangbusters $100 million... that's 10 mil to four charities, or 2.5 mil per. not bad. it generally jibes with my personal opinion of Oliver Stone as a movie-maker: all flash, no pan.

Aug 2, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #25 of 87
Many, many movies have been made about human tragedies, and every one of those movies in some sense made a profit on the tragedy of others. I understand the point about it being "too soon"; it may be for some, it may not be for others. But I think you could come up with zillions of examples of movies, books, and other media that (1) made lots of money recounting tragedies experienced by others, (2) in which the victims bascially received nothing (which does not appear to the be the case in this instance), and (3) the victims and those close to them may have suffered from the additional exposure or reminder of the tragedy. This is the way Hollywood and the media in general have always worked, and this hardly seems a particularly unusual circumstance. Again, it may be too soon, but that seems to me to be a separate issue. That's my $.02.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #27 of 87
and stone isn't the only one benefitting from 9/11. i'll just leave it at "bullsh!t power grab" and let you figure out the rest.

Aug 2, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #28 of 87
My outlook on this movie differs quite a bit from those that have posted here so far. I don't think it's too early for this movie at all for the following reasons.

1. Why make this movie 10+ years from now when the money it might generate then won't be given to any charities, whereas right now it can and will go to good use, even if only a little.

2. I will never forget the events of that day and I damn sure will never forget the sacrifice 343 fireman and almost 60 police officers made that day. A major part of this movie is to honor those people as well.

3. While the events of 9/11 are so fresh in everyone's mind, it seems that almost everyone has forgotten the unity that we had for the week or so following. This nation pulled together forgetting all the petty differences and made an impact. And this is pointed out even on the newest trailer for this movie. We came together as a nation undivided. We need to remember how to do that only next time not need a tragedy to accomplish this.

This movie has nothing to do with the politics of this country. It has everything to do with our resilience to withstand the worst that life has to throw at us, even if we forgot that.

Aug 2, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #29 of 87
Anyone here see Hotel Rwanda?

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #30 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFaust
My outlook on this movie differs quite a bit from those that have posted here so far. I don't think it's too early for this movie at all for the following reasons.

1. Why make this movie 10+ years from now when the money it might generate then won't be given to any charities, whereas right now it can and will go to good use, even if only a little.

2. I will never forget the events of that day and I damn sure will never forget the sacrifice 343 fireman and almost 60 police officers made that day. A major part of this movie is to honor those people as well.

3. While the events of 9/11 are so fresh in everyone's mind, it seems that almost everyone has forgotten the unity that we had for the week or so following. This nation pulled together forgetting all the petty differences and made an impact. And this is pointed out even on the newest trailer for this movie. We came together as a nation undivided. We need to remember how to do that only next time not need a tragedy to accomplish this.

This movie has nothing to do with the politics of this country. It has everything to do with our resilience to withstand the worst that life has to throw at us, even if we forgot that.

the sad part (and i hope it is in the movie) is how quickly the country went back to business as usual, with the divide and conquer politico's using the tragedy to gain points and turn everyone against eachother again. the last thing those in power want is a country united.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back