Why 1/5 of Americans Can't Locate the U.S. on a World Map
Aug 26, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #46 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm more concerned about the future of her children!
tongue.gif

Let's hope it never goes that far!

Aug 26, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #47 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the U.S.?

It's supposed to mean United States. What the states are, how they're united, and where they are remains unknown.

Aug 26, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #48 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by saboteur1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's supposed to mean United States. What the states are, how they're united, and where they are remains unknown.

That sir is pure speculation.

Aug 26, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #49 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That sir is pure speculation.

How 80% of Americans (residents of both north, south, and central america) find them on maps boggles the mind.

I can't find them!

Aug 26, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #50 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having served in the US Navy for ten years, I had a chance to do a fair bit of traveling about, and I can tell you that the vast majority of people I met everywhere I went referred to people who live in the USA as "Americans".

I really think that people who make this a bone of contention are either pedantic, have an inferiority complex or are simple bored.

Present company excepted of course...
tongue.gif

Never said they did not. Look up argument by authority and keep the poo-flinging out of here.
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #51 of 170
Quote:

What's the U.S.?

What's the U.K.?

Aug 26, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #52 of 170
Quote:

What's the U.S.?

It is a magical place Duggeh where some of your whiskey comes from.

Aug 26, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #54 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never said they did not. Look up argument by authority and keep the poo-flinging out of here.
wink.gif

No poo flinging intended, merely an observation.

Aug 26, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #56 of 170
Come on! That was a cheap trick question.
mad.gif

What would you answer.

On the spot I could only think, hmm I don't know, they are a bunch of morons.
biggrin.gif

How can you come up with politically correct answer to a surprise question like that.

I'm only partially kidding but really what answer do they expect. Blame on the education system? on the people who don't have money for education? on the mentally ill?

If you don't know whose are in those 1/5 who don't know where the U.S. is on the map, how can you come up with a proper answer to that don't sound condescending or derogative? Especially when you're put on the spot and they shove you a mic without preparation. Would you think to prepared for those kind of question?

But I have to give you that. Her answer was something.
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #58 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems appropriate to link this video, somewhere in this thread.
wink.gif

Nice.

That chick's answer to the question is better than what I would've said. If asked the same question, my response would've been "Because they're stupid and should be beaten."

Aug 26, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #59 of 170
Seems to me, best as I can figure out, is if you start from the north part of North America and work your way south, you begin with "folks generally called" the Alaskans, then the Greenlandics, then the Canadians, then the Americans, then the Texans, then the Mexicans, and so on into Central America then on to South America and so on.

I don't think it's so much that US citizens wanted to be call "Americans" so much as we probably didn't want to be called "Uniteds" or "Statsests" or something weird like that.

...actually; I'm not really sure what the folks in Greenland like to call themselves, but I'm sure it has a Danish accent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back