Why 1/5 of Americans Can't Locate the U.S. on a World Map
Aug 26, 2007 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 170

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
Okay, the answer comes from a teenage beauty queen, so you probably shouldn't judge her too harshly. Still her answer is sooo good [Initial page has changed. Video now linked].

Aug 26, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 170
well at least she is cute...

Aug 26, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 170
She's from South Carolina........is South Africa right south of South Carolina?
blink.gif
icon10.gif

Poor girl.....I think her brain just caught onto "South Africa" and she rolled with that. What that has to do with Americans not being familiar with a world map....only she knows!

Aug 26, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 170
Um..ah...wow....the uh, reason that...uh...kids DO uh know...uh...the government just uh, says they don't so uh, they can blame the kids for the screw ups instead of the uh,........

Aug 26, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #7 of 170
Poor thing. She got nervous and her brain shut off.

/It seems I also cause this in people too
plainface.gif

Aug 26, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #9 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by saboteur1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gives new meaning to the term "dumb blonde".

"The Iraq" was hilarious though... And "U.S. Americans" was pretty dumb as well.

What about South Africa?

To be fair, only the USA is arrogant enough to think they are the only Americans in the new world.

Aug 26, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #10 of 170
What I meant to say was that the general term for Americans from the US was, well, Americans. In the context, it seemed redundant to include U.S. with Americans.

But there are Americans all over the world. I guess you'd still be an American if you're from Newfoundland, all the way down to Chile, if you want to get technical.

Aug 26, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #11 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be fair, only the USA is arrogant enough to think they are the only Americans in the new world.

yes....let us not forget about our South Africa
icon10.gif

But yeah.....reference to "American". I've been in situations where I'm in groups with Canadians and Mexicans: even they have referred to US Citizens as "American"...as I think it's just easier to roll off the tongue (rather then "you United States of Americans")
biggrin.gif
We're a little "A" inside of a much bigger "A"
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #12 of 170
This is so postmodern, it's fantastic. You think, how on Earth could 20% of Americans not be able to find the US on a map -- who are these people? And then you realize the girl being asked the question is undoubtedly one of that 20%.

As for "the Iraq", she's probably heard "the Iraq War" on FOX News a million times now, and I bet she just assumed that The Iraq is the country in which the war is being fought.

Aug 26, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #14 of 170
On the one hand I feel sorry for her. Being put on the spot like that on live television is a very scary situation and it seems she just loss her cool and couldn't save herself.

On the other hand, I feel sorry for our country. If she believed even half of what she was saying (what was she saying?
confused.gif
) we are in big trouble.

Aug 26, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #15 of 170
Saw this on another forum yesterday and it was terribly painful to watch. Poor girl...she's soo dumb
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back