Why 1/5 of Americans Can't Locate the U.S. on a World Map
Aug 26, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #17 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by saboteur1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I meant to say was that the general term for Americans from the US was, well, Americans. In the context, it seemed redundant to include U.S. with Americans.

But there are Americans all over the world. I guess you'd still be an American if you're from Newfoundland, all the way down to Chile, if you want to get technical.

This is EXACTLY what I mean.

Chilean = South American. Canadian = North American. "American" = North American. Panamanian = Central American.

/keep in mind I do not buy into the whole "common usage" argument--it is just an excuse for sloppy thinking

-edit-
Of course I do not think that is what the beauty queen was thinking.
blink.gif

Anyone remember the boomgoesthedynamite guy?

Aug 26, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #18 of 170
The question should have been, "99% of all Miss Teen USA candidates give stupid ass answers to simple questions, why do you think that is?"

But seriously, I felt bad for her, she was really trying to give an answer even though she fumbled it up right from the start.

Aug 26, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #19 of 170
I think you have to feel sorry for someone stuck like that. Out of curiosity, I had to look up how she did though. Even with that answer she got third runner-up. Maybe the Q&A portion wasn't that important.
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #21 of 170
On one hand, in terms of street smarts and world knowledge, she's likely dumb as a stump.

But.. she can probably rattle off various cosmetic products and procedures quite well.

Thusly, a more appropriate question is "Oh my god! I love your hair! What did you do to it?!"

Aug 26, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #23 of 170
I knew a guy who didn't know what the word sodomy meant, even though he'd done it. Twas an interesting conversation to say the least.

Aug 26, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #24 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I knew a guy who didn't know what the word sodomy meant, even though he'd done it. Twas an interesting conversation to say the least.

Conversation? Usually I just shut my eyes, grit my teeth and think of England.

Aug 26, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #26 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just had a talk with four college students who didn't know what statutory rape or a pedophile was (I'm serious!). Luckily they did know what "rape" was, or at least so they claimed after I looked like I was about to have a heart attack.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 26, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #27 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just had a talk with four college students who didn't know what statutory rape or a pedophile was (I'm serious!). Luckily they did know what "rape" was, or at least so they claimed after I looked like I was about to have a heart attack.
rolleyes.gif

What's a pedophile?

I've been talking to this really nice guy on meetups.alt.20somethings, he's promised me candy and everything. I'm going to drive over to his house tomorrow.

Aug 26, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #28 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's a pedophile?

I've been talking to this really nice guy on meetups.alt.20somethings, he's promised me candy and everything. I'm going to drive over to his house tomorrow.

Would you have a seat over there?
hansen_chris_2005_sm.jpg

Aug 26, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #30 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Conversation? Usually I just shut my eyes, grit my teeth and think of England.

Ah prison, the good old days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back