Who wants Grado HP-1ks brought back?
May 9, 2003 at 7:25 PM Post #46 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by shivohum
Well first off Corey Greenberg *has* heard the SHA-1/HP-1 (actually HP-2) combo and really liked it. But evidently these experiences didn't stop him from later thinking the RS-1 to be a "much, much better sounding pair of headphones."

And how about Zanth, who says "The RS-1/RA-1 combo in many ways...out performs my Melos/HP-1 combo."

Plus, you're ignoring the people who weren't using RA-1/HPA-1s.

Corey Greenberg used a McCormack headphone drive in the review I cited. Is that junk too?

Alexander Derevin undoubtedly has access to the best Meier-Audio amps, and I don't think they change his mind.

And though two of the reviews I put up were links to gradolabs, they were just reprints from other magazines, namely Stereophile and The Absolute Sound. Of course Grado Labs only picked favorable reviews to put on its site, but that doesn't make those reviews biased.

so one stereophile guy prefers it, i'll give you that. but who's to know which pads he was using with each headphone, as i am a fan of stating the bowl pad always sucks, even on the hp-1000.

i generally speak with zanth daily, and although he does prefer the rs-1 for electronica, i have on numerous occasions seen him post that the hp-1 is his favorite dynamic headphone overall. plus, you must realize he's a law major and those people can never be trusted.
wink.gif

i've never heard the mccormick, but i have read it lacks bass. the hp-1000 shows all defeats of any amp or source in its signal path, while another headphone with a not-as-flat response can sound "better" because the headphone compensates for the bass. could this have something to do with the results of a review?

nowhere on that page does alexnader derevin state when he was able to hear the grado hp-2, and meier's newest and most powerful amps have only been around for a few months. he might've heard them years ago on an ha-1 or an ra-1 for all we know.

although i subscribe and enjoy audio magazines, i have a tough time taking their word without skepticism. also it is a generally known fact that the older a person gets the more rolled off their hearing gets and i wouldn't be suprised if i enjoyed a brighter headphone later in life than an almost completely neutral one.

i have owned both rs-1 and hp-1 and listened to them side by side for months at a time, which not many reviewers or other head-fiers have had the option of doing. during this time i also got to hear them both with numerous amplifiers in the $750-$1000 range: rkv, sugden headmaster, melos, microzotl, cary 300sei, and headroom max. i feel that the hp-1000 is superior to the rs-1 and i probably always will. the fact that somebody disagrees with my opinion isn't really new to me, but i find it upsetting that it's all the "wrong" people who do which will keep this great headphone from the rest of the world.

May 9, 2003 at 8:15 PM Post #47 of 61
I'll pipe in. Yeah...I'm dirty good for nothing lawyer now...but I'm a good guy honest
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the HP-1's are the best dynamic headphone. In fact...until I hear the Electrostats...I'd say they are the ever! RS-1's...are my electronic/jazz phones, otherwise I pick up the HP-1's. I listen to a lot of those two genres though....so the RS-1's will likely always stay with me. It is a luxury I am pleased to be able to enjoy.

May 9, 2003 at 9:48 PM Post #48 of 61
Quote:

but i find it upsetting that it's all the "wrong" people who do which will keep this great headphone from the rest of the world.

I think we can agree here. There's evidently a strong demand for this headphone. Grado could probably name its price if it put out a new and improved edition...

May 9, 2003 at 10:15 PM Post #49 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by shivohum
I think we can agree here. There's evidently a strong demand for this headphone. Grado could probably name its price if it put out a new and improved edition...

" new and improved edition"
If that happens, I seriously doubt that it will sound anything like the HP-1000.
We have to face the sad fact that it might not be even possible to replicate these phones. Ever.

May 9, 2003 at 10:29 PM Post #50 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
If that happens, I seriously doubt that it will sound anything like the HP-1000.
We have to face the sad fact that it might not be even possible to replicate these phones. Ever.

The technology is there to make something even better than the HP-1000, but how much would it cost in today's world to do so? Too much I think. Sony R10s with some nice bass would be a hot item.
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2003 at 10:32 PM Post #51 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
The technology is there to make something even better than the HP-1000, but how much would it cost in today's world to do so? Too much I think. Sony R10s with some nice bass would be a hot item.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, this is true but who is going to voice them?
I'll bet they still won't sound like HPs.

May 9, 2003 at 10:35 PM Post #52 of 61
I know what would make grado start producing HP-1 again. If all the people voted yes gave them their authorizion to charge the phones' cost to their credit card. I *think* grado is a relatively small company and to start a whole new production line is a great risk they would have to take. Even though the market shows enough interests in the product doesn't mean there will be enough purchases to offset the costs of production & expansion (you have to remember these phones are not cheap to buy, will you buy one?). But then again maybe grado don't really know the true current market interest are and how it has changed in the last few years. You know, if it wasn't for head-fi, most of us still wouldn't know what good headphones mean and who John Grado is. I think their is still a chance for the revival of HP-1, it just a matter of time.

Hey maybe someone should call John G. and tell him to look at this thread for his company's sake?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2003 at 11:01 PM Post #53 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
Keep in mind that you should ideally be able to afford one before voting yes.

Which should be the price, the original retail one?

May 10, 2003 at 12:54 AM Post #55 of 61
Then I will vote "no", I have enough with the CD3000 and the R10 to push to put another big guy around......my wallet is still crying from the last time I pulled it...
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 10, 2003 at 1:03 AM Post #56 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
Then I will vote "no", I have enough with the CD3000 and the R10 to push to put another big guy around.....

... since when did you get a R10? ...
confused.gif

May 10, 2003 at 2:04 AM Post #58 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman

Uhhhh, right. The RS-1 were supposed to be the new and improved edition!!!!
tongue.gif
eek.gif
rolleyes.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2003 at 2:05 AM Post #59 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by vwap
... since when did you get a R10? ...
confused.gif

I never said I get it, I said I have enough with it around, with no wallet to afford it...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

note: "around" was referring to the maket, not my surroundings

BTW I lied, of course I voted for "yes"....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back