who likes neutral,who likes coloured?
Apr 19, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #346 of 392
Seriously, that's sort of how I hear the difference between the D7000 and XB500. The XB500 has like absolutely no detail in the mids and highs. I meant the DT770 Pro 80ohm which is very different than the Premiums.

However I did own a particularly uhh disconcerting pair of DT770 600ohms that had more bass than ANY headphone I have ever heard, including the the XB500. Not something the 600ohm is known for. Bass was headache inducing, and I think even bassheads wouldn't have appreciated them.

I thought something was wrong with them.

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #347 of 392
both the DT880s and the T1 are pretty close to accurate, the DT880 is somewhat colored in the highs, the "spike" someone mentioned is not a spike, it is the headphones following the natural curve our ears have, since they must compensate for the drivers proximity to the ear. from 3-8khz the graph should dip slightly(but only very slightly), go back up at 10khz, then quickly drop off after that. the denon is all over the graph and is extremely colored.

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #348 of 392
I disagree. The T1s were one of the most piercing headphones I've heard personally. I did not hear that much loudness in the bass either. I was also able to tolerate the Denons much easier. As far as I'm concerned right now, the graphs are showing the open headphones to have more low end response than perceived.

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #349 of 392
˄ You get the illusion of more bass extension with the D7000 because it lingers longer, also known as bleed and the mid-bass hump. The DT880, T1 and HD800 all extend lower in bass detail than the D7000 - the graph also clearly shows this. My DT880s extend lower than my former Ultrasone HFI-780, they aren't however known as bass-head cans because they're not over emphasized.

Apr 19, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #351 of 392
Right because of the rest of the spectrum... what I was saying is you can listen to a warmer phone louder. If you increase the volume of a DT880 for example you'll want to stop before the treble hurts your ears, the D7000s have a longer way to go before the same level of treble loudness; thus bass is pumping and perceived louder!

Apr 20, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #353 of 392
both the DT880s and the T1 are pretty close to accurate, the DT880 is somewhat colored in the highs, the "spike" someone mentioned is not a spike, it is the headphones following the natural curve our ears have, since they must compensate for the drivers proximity to the ear. from 3-8khz the graph should dip slightly(but only very slightly), go back up at 10khz, then quickly drop off after that. the denon is all over the graph and is extremely colored.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't HeadRoom use some kind of like head-shaped thing with microphones in the ears to measure freq response? I imagine that would compensate for any of the stuff that happens in our ears...

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #354 of 392
if it compensated for it then you would not be seeing the crazy variations in the graphs and the t1 and most headphones would have no highs just look at the roll off after 10k

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #355 of 392
that is the response or atleast close to it that our ears would perceive from a flat loudspeaker. 

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #357 of 392
if it compensated for it then you would not be seeing the crazy variations in the graphs and the t1 and most headphones would have no highs just look at the roll off after 10k

Human hearing sensitivity changes on an hourly basis. If it wasn't city noise would be driving us mad.

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #358 of 392
this is true, however it is not relevant to what you just quoted.

Quote:
Quote:

Human hearing sensitivity changes on an hourly basis. If it wasn't city noise would be driving us mad.

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #359 of 392
Quote:
Human hearing sensitivity changes on an hourly basis.

Funny you mention that... A couple nights back I ate fried onions at Chili's, and I never eat fried food or anything generally unhealthy and that same evening along with my bloated stomach I couldn't hear any bass in my DT880s. Everything is back to normal now but I wonder if what we eat dictates the music we enjoy, perhaps the uglier we eat the less of the sound spectrum we hear... After my little experience it has me interested and I'm going to look more into it. 

Apr 20, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #360 of 392

Quote:
this is true, however it is not relevant to what you just quoted.

Well, I'm not sure what you meant if they compensated for human hearing then all headphones would have no highs. I don't mean to be rude but could you put some periods? I mostly only heard the treble on the T1. Everything else seemed recessed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back