who likes neutral,who likes coloured?
Jan 10, 2010 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 392

plonter

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all. I hope much of you will take part in this thread. I was eager to write this while returning to my D5000 after a while of listening to the HD650.
I always loved ratrher coloured sound. going back to the D5000 after a while with the HD650 really made me appreciate them, and they sound natural to me,despite their rumbling bass..I always felt that this is the way the music should sound. my other favourite headphones as you can probably see in my sig is the RS1. I love the D5000 and the RS1 just the same depends on the mood. they both sound amazing to me.
please share your thoughts in this subject. I am really interested to know who is in the coloured camp and who are the purists between us.

the closest to neutral headphones I heard (and the only) are the HD650...and although most of you will say that they aren't neutral, for me they sound very much balanced and neutral. I couldn't possibly listen to headphones with any less bass than what the HD650 got. it will be too bass anemic for my tastes.

what about you?

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 392
There's no such thing as neutral, so I prefer colored.
smily_headphones1.gif

:flamesuit:

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #4 of 392
You'll find that most listeners who are happy with a phone over the long term prefer neutrality, because it's pretty much the only sound signature that doesn't get boring over time.
However, listeners who listen at low volumes (let's say <75-80 dB) tend to prefer bassier headphones to get more impact at their preferred volumes, while those who listen at, say 90 dB, find bassy headphones to be overwhelming in bass quantity, as the bass overpowers the rest of the FR.

Personally, I go for neutral, or close to it, although there are other, possibly more important characteristics to consider, for example, speed, soundstage, transparency, dynamics, and so on.

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 392
Depends.. Was totally into colored and big bass early on in this hobby, now I prefer accurate, reliable, more neutral, and less colored headphones.. Albeit, you should be able to appreciate both.

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #6 of 392
Is it possible to enjoy both?
biggrin.gif
I don't think I'd ever be satisfied with just one side of things. That's the reason why I have more than one headphone... after using neutral headphones for a while, I can't help but to crave for little more excitement; and after using using too many coloured headphones I'd want more neutral presentation to ease the fatigue and just relax, and dissect the music.

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 392
I am glad someone has posted this as a thread topic. I was just listening to my reshelled UE triplefi 10's and thinking about how i really enjoyed the slight coloration these earphones have (minus the bloated midbass hump). To be honest with you plonter, the hd650 is the most neutral headphone I have ever owned as well. When amped appropriately the 650 displays all frequencies fairly naturally while keeping that slightly warm and silky Sennheiser sound.

So yes, I enjoy a setup that emplores slight coloration... I'm not talking Dr. Monster Beats coloration here, but I appreciate a headphone company that stays true to their "house sound" when designing a product.

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 392
I don't understand the whole 'color' thing with music. No one would walk into the Louvre in Paris to look at the art masterpieces wearing colored glasses(at least I hope not), yet for some reason people want to add color to their music. Maybe it's just me, but the only color I will intentionally add is some extra bass...but not that often.

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #9 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand the whole 'color' thing with music. No one would walk into the Louvre in Paris to look at the art masterpieces wearing colored glasses(at least I hope not), yet for some reason people want to add color to their music. Maybe it's just me, but the only color I will intentionally add is some extra bass...but not that often.

Maybe some people would rather see the mona lisa with a deeper shade of red to make her look better, or that someone enjoys blue women, who are you to judge?

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #10 of 392
I like both, and am choosing and planning to buy both. Neutral for more critical listening...and coloured just for plain fun.

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #11 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you add sugar/salt/pepper/sauce on your food?

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #12 of 392
ofcourse one can like both presentations,i am too like a little break sometime from the coloured sound fro a little bit of neutrality...but I am coming back very fast to the coloured sound. I prefer coloured 90% of the time.

also,about the paintings comments. it is true that colouring the sound is changing the artists perspective (in our case,the sound engineer) . there is no argue with that. but maybe there is nothing wrong in getting away from reality a little, just like watching a non realistic movie.

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #13 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by endlezz518 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you add sugar/salt/pepper/sauce on your food?

Not if it's cooked by a good chef....or rarely anyway.

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #14 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by shake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe some people would rather see the mona lisa with a deeper shade of red to make her look better, or that someone enjoys blue women, who are you to judge?

Suit yourself. Who's judging. You can wear any color sunglasses you want next time you visit a museum.

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #15 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also,about the paintings comments. it is true that colouring the sound is changing the artists perspective (in our case,the sound engineer) . there is no argue with that. but maybe there is nothing wrong in getting away from reality a little, just like watching a non realistic movie.

Nothing wrong...agreed. Just different preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back