who likes neutral,who likes coloured?
Apr 19, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #331 of 392
its not really so much as the headphones are bright as it is the sound coming from the instruments is in itself bright. in large concert venues the room tends to reflect mid-range frequencies more strongly so it doesn't sound as bright, when a microphone is placed two feet from a cymbal in an acoustically dampened studio you aren't capturing all the mid heavy warm sound you get from room reflections you are just capturing the cymbals sound by itself. headphones don't suffer from room resonances so we hear the sound exactly the way the driver is producing it. placing my speakers in an echoey room with hardwood floors made them sound much warmer in the mids and much less bright, placing them in my bedroom and covering the walls in acoustic material made them sound bright. this could be one of the reasons why people like their sound colored with accentuated mids because it would indeed sound more realistic as far as what music would sound like played in a large room, same with accentuated bass, another thing most rooms do is increase the overall level of the bass, anyone who has placed a subwoofer near a wall or corner knows exactly what i am talking about. to me, the beauty of recorded material is being able to overcome those things and hear nothing but the instruments themselves.

i am posting this at 1 am when i should be sleeping so if it seems somewhat incoherent and rambly i apologize.

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #332 of 392

i couldnt agree more with this statement. lol at the denon being all over the graph.
Quote:
It depends what you're used too. If you want to evaluate a headphone I suggest listening to it non-stop for at the very least a week straight.

No points awarded for picking the odd one out.

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #333 of 392
Listening to a headphone nonstop is just going to desensitize your ears from whatever frequencies it has boosted. I'd rather not have to desensitize any frequencies so I pick headphones by not listening to anything for a day and make my decision in the first few hours of listening.

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #334 of 392

Quote:
It depends what you're used too. If you want to evaluate a headphone I suggest listening to it non-stop for at the very least a week straight.

No points awarded for picking the odd one out.

Ok, I guess.. maybe you're trying hard to bash the d7000? lol
But you just can't hide the sudden spike of the two Beyers by adding in hd800, its so obvious.. And in fact d7000 is the only closed in this graph, tricky ==

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #335 of 392
 And this 'kid' will be here to counteract your superiority complex at every turn.
You love to do it in every thread you participate in.

Next time you try to act like your **** don't stink,
It appears that we're not allowed to enjoy our music how we wanna enjoy it without being looked at as pigs.

from what i have seen over the past few weeks you seem to the the one with a superiority complex, the one to jump into threads and bash on cans you don't personally like, and the one to add literaly nothing to conversations other than hate on preferences that you don't like. Seen you in WAY to many K70x threads, dont like something? fine, don't comment.

opinions are like ****holes, everyone has one, but no one wants to see it. so pull your head in.

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #336 of 392
Which is why the K701 is my absolute fave gaming headphone? Yeah, I'm hating on it SO much. Please. I've said in those threads that I'm not into its sound signature for music. Never HATED on it, so please quit over exagerratin'.

I even have a few posts in the K701 appreciation thread. :rolleyes:

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #337 of 392
Quote:

Actually, what was the point of the graph?  I thought he was trying to show that measurements of open headphones are inaccurate showing that they all have more bass than the Denons which is ridiculous when hearing in person.

I've only heard decent low end from VERY few headphones in the case of open headphones. I don't know what's going on with the graphs.

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #338 of 392
Quote:
Actually, what was the point of the graph?  I thought he was trying to show that measurements of open headphones are inaccurate showing that they all have more bass than the Denons which is ridiculous when hearing in person.

I've only heard decent low end from VERY few headphones in the case of open headphones. I don't know what's going on with the graphs.

Not to be rude but perhaps you don't know how to read them... if it helps visualize the orange band (D7000) starting around the same place as the other 3 headphones... you'll then see it has a lot of bass and mid-bass. What we're doing is simply matching volume or listening threshold.

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #339 of 392

Quote:
Not to be rude but perhaps you don't know how to read them... if it helps visualize the orange band (D7000) starting around the same place as the other 3 headphones... you'll then see it has a lot of bass and mid-bass. What we're doing is simply matching volume or listening threshold.

Then in the same instance, couldn't I take the audio technica AD700 (no bass whatsoever) and put it on same starting point as the other headphones? That means it would have an insanely high mid-bass peak compared to all the rest.  So I dunno if your post doesn't make sense at all, or I'm just not quite getting it, but that doesn't seem to be a logical solution in my mind.

Apr 19, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #341 of 392
I think I read it right and the second graph shows that the open headphones had comparable bass to the Denon and the Denon is brighter. Bass response were no where close to being comparable to Denon and the open headphones were much brighter overall. Feel free to correct me

Apr 19, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #342 of 392
I would also like tos ay they Graphs do not = sound. The HD800's do not have that much bass IMO and the T1's were a little rolled off in the uppermids and highs.The D7000 are bass cannons if you ever herd basscannons, but they are also backed up with a mid and high range to round it all out.

Apr 19, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #343 of 392
The way I read it; D7000 doesn't extend as low however has more (louder) 40-100Hz and where the others start to roll off the D7000 continues through 500-1000Hz. This will not only give the impressive of more bass but a warmer presentation throughout.

The threshold could be even higher with the D7000; when I'm listening to a bass-heavy phone, let's say Sony XB500 (to make my point obvious), I determine my threshold from the volume of bass. With the DT880s however the threshold comes from the high-end treble and I think we can all agree we can listen to louder bass than we can with treble. Thus you can listen to D7000s a lot louder than you can with the DT880s which not only gives the impression of even more bass, but makes the DT880s and other neutral phones very bright in comparison.

Did I make any sense? it's late. 
redface.gif

Apr 19, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #344 of 392
To play nice, umm do the charts read the difference between open and closed headphones?

Because I have a feeling the fact that the D7000 is closed is making the bass more prominent than the graphs read. However, its more sub bass than mid bass, which is why the mids and highs don't get trampled on the way they do with headphones like the DT770 Pros and XB500, etc.

Apr 19, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #345 of 392
I think the graphs represent the phones quite well and can discern between open and closed. The D7000 has more mid bass than the above neutral phones but is a lot less congested than the DT770 and XB500 as you mentioned.

This should make sense, you see the D7000 still has details while the others completely fall off. (I'm not saying they have the same bass, just showing threshold)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back