What's so good about the RE0?
Jan 3, 2010 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

GN85

100+ Head-Fier
I got to try a pair of RE0 recently, but found them absolutely horrible. The bass is lacking, and there seems to be a big curve in the highs giving a very unnatural and non-neutral sound. What's the deal? Why are they so highly praised around here?

Jan 3, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 56
I assume you're listening to them after your IE8s. The IE8s have a huge bass response. Also, the RE0s reach higher than most phones, so you may not be hearing extra quantity so much as just higher frequencies.

You should listen to them for a while. It takes a little time to get used to them and they certainly aren't for everyone. I'm still getting used to mine but I like what I hear. Coming from the SCL3s with little bass to speak of, these guys boom in some songs.

Jan 3, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 56
Yes, the bass is lacking, which I think quite a few people around here actually like. [size=xx-small]Weirdos.[/size] That's why I've got my E5 on bass boost all the time. It rounds out the sound nicely.

I think the major "liking" point is that they're $80USD+shipping, you're getting ER4 ($160) level sound, and detail rivaling some full sized headphones.

Jan 4, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by GN85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got to try a pair of RE0 recently, but found them absolutely horrible. The bass is lacking, and there seems to be a big curve in the highs giving a very unnatural and non-neutral sound. What's the deal? Why are they so highly praised around here?

Actually, they're pretty accurate phones. IE8 just has super boosted mid-bass and rolled off treble.

Jan 4, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #5 of 56
Yeah, I'm not surprised at the OP's response coming from the IE8, which sounds like it would be the exact opposite of the RE0. I, for one, would really like to hear the RE0's at some point in the near future.

Jan 4, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #6 of 56
Im pretty new to buying phones ive been using marshmallows for about a year now and got some re0's recently and first impression was whats the big deal. I went out and bought some s4's for my wife a few weeks later and put a few hours on those. Went back to the re0's and was very impressed in the clarity. Went back to the jvc's and could really tell a huge difference. I like both the re0 and s4 even the sounds are opposite. Bottom line is put some hours on them then switch it up to tell a difference.

Jan 4, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #7 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntropic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the bass is lacking, which I think quite a few people around here actually like. [size=xx-small]Weirdos.[/size] That's why I've got my E5 on bass boost all the time. It rounds out the sound nicely.

The bass isn't lacking. It is light for sure, but that is part of RE0's hunger for power. If you were able to back it up with a good amp (i.e. 3MOVE), it will have more bass (quality and quantity wise) than E5 w/ bass boost. Though doesn't need a good amp to sound good, RE0 does need one to sound at its best.

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #8 of 56
Quote:

I think the major "liking" point is that they're $80USD+shipping, you're getting ER4 ($160) level sound, and detail rivaling some full sized headphones.

i find it quite good for me. The bass is fine for me but when I pair it with an amp it sounds better and has even better bass but running it unamped sounds great to me. I guess this is just the sound signature that suits me :p

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #9 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass isn't lacking. It is light for sure, but that is part of RE0's hunger for power. If you were able to back it up with a good amp (i.e. 3MOVE), it will have more bass (quality and quantity wise) than E5 w/ bass boost. Though doesn't need a good amp to sound good, RE0 does need one to sound at its best.

Hmm, how about E5 with a good amp (i.e. 3MOVE)? Which one shall one choose?

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #10 of 56
i love the bass on it, couldn't ask for more. punchy, tight, just how i like it. the details and treble are to die for too. different strokes for different folks i guess.

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #11 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by david1978jp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

E5 is an amp, but it is an entry class amp - good for casual user but definitely no-match for any of the big boy.

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #12 of 56
The RE0 sounds nice out of the EF2 with punchier bass and more quantity as well but it still has less than most. IMO, the RE0 has a very neutral response and other earphones just don't, not that this means it is good or bad.

It took me a while to get used to the sound of the RE0 but now everything sounds muddy in comparison.

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #13 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by david1978jp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You'd be double amping it then.

Quote:

It is light for sure, but that is part of RE0's hunger for power. If you were able to back it up with a good amp (i.e. 3MOVE), it will have more bass (quality and quantity wise) than E5 w/ bass boost. Though doesn't need a good amp to sound good, RE0 does need one to sound at its best.

I don't find any of the "portable amps" practical to use. Quite simply, they're too big.

And I feel I do need bass boost as a "cheat", simply because a bus will drown out any bass you can hear. I'm not typically doing home listening on my RE0, but when I do, I turn off the bass boost. The E5 on regular definitely does just fine.

Sometimes I forget people aren't doing their listening while sitting in a metal box with a big diesel engine attached to it.

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #14 of 56
I'm guessing you spent about five minutes with them. You need to give them more time, especially when you're used to iems that (so I've read) sound completely different.

It's easy to dismiss a headphone once you're used to something.

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #15 of 56
Quote:

I don't find any of the "portable amps" practical to use. Quite simply, they're too big.

iBasso T4, or the newer T3 - Check them out, both are no bigger then E5. At least I think T4 can drive RE0 fairly well.

The one player that can drive RE0 well without any amp is the S:Flo2 / T51 I am using now. Not that it is small or light but it does have an very good headphone-out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back