What's so good about the RE0?
Jan 4, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #16 of 56
The thing about the bass on the RE0, it's always present and clearly distinguished, and is punchy, tight, and fast. I vastly prefer this to the much more uncivilized and uncontrolled bass of other 'phones and IEMs. That said, it still does have room for some improvement, which I hope would appear in a nice amp. I'm not planning to get one as I'm satisfied as my portable rig is, but it's something to consider.

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #17 of 56
is that the dap from mp4nation?

actually i do a good amount of listening on a bus or subway and i find the isolation more than enough for those uses

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #18 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is that the dap from mp4nation?

Yep. Same as Teclast T51 - not the sleekest player when it comes to UI and firmware, but the headphone-out is good enough for me not to carry a small amp around.

Jan 4, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #19 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iBasso T4, or the newer T3 - Check them out, both are no bigger then E5. At least I think T4 can drive RE0 fairly well.

Yeah, they're those. Would you like to buy one for me?

I kid, I kid.

What's the power rating on the T3?

Jan 4, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #20 of 56
Quote:

The bass isn't lacking. It is light for sure, but that is part of RE0's hunger for power. If you were able to back it up with a good amp (i.e. 3MOVE), it will have more bass (quality and quantity wise) than E5 w/ bass boost. Though doesn't need a good amp to sound good, RE0 does need one to sound at its best.

THANK YOU. I've said this before, but nobody seems to believe me.
redface.gif

Jan 4, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #21 of 56
oh people believed you :p just most of the RE0 users here probably dont have them amped or properly amped

Jan 4, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #22 of 56
Quote:

E5 is an amp, but it is an entry class amp - good for casual user but definitely no-match for any of the big boy.

Sorry, I was think about Shure E5. Thank you for clarification.

Jan 4, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #23 of 56
I am sick of "RE0 lacks bass". The following is not a snobistic show off, but rather attempt to analyze this annoying issue.

RE0 is very refined and well balanced. It is quite common that such sound sig is not appreciated by noobs. Many of them ask for more bass, since it takes time to educate yourself to headphone/earphone type of bass, which is missing tactile feedback.

RE0 sound can be improved overall and bass weight can be increased in particular. It benefits from good seal, which requires some efforts to buy extra tips (stock are not good) and select the right one. Quality amping (not E5) is also appreciated. All these tricks are not popular with noobs.

So, why there are so many noobs unsatisfied with RE0? I beleive that this is a matter of new $79 pricing. It makes RE0 affordable to many junior head-fiers (not in terms of post counter) but does not make them to value their purchase. There was no huge criticism of RE0 bass before when it was priced at $200 (or simillar, can not recall exactly).

Those who consider RE0 lacks bass, should try ER-6i or even ER-6. They are also very affordable, so why not?

Jan 4, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #24 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antony6555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, they're pretty accurate phones. IE8 just has super boosted mid-bass and rolled off treble.

rolled off treble? please.

well for the RE0 - it has a very good price vs performance ratio, the highs are super detailed, the mids are accurate and so is the bass (which does extend quite low)

Jan 4, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #25 of 56
Quote:

iBasso T4, or the newer T3 - Check them out, both are no bigger then E5. At least I think T4 can drive RE0 fairly well.

The T4 was my portable amp of choice with the RE0 as well. I don't really consider a very good amp (mini3 is still my sub-$100 amp of choice) but it is darn portable and has great synergy with the RE0 for some reason. Didn't like it much with the Er-4S.

Jan 4, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #27 of 56
Value for money is their biggest highlight for me.
TBH I do not think they come close to the ER4P or S (as per a review that stated the otherway) but I can see why someone would prefer the RE0.

Jan 4, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #29 of 56
Alot of digital EQ is applied very poorly in DAPs and severly degrades SQ IMVHO.

You're better off getting something like a soundmagic PL50 or a Vsonic R02Pro2 if you need more bass

Jan 4, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #30 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebhuber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rolled off treble? please.

well for the RE0 - it has a very good price vs performance ratio, the highs are super detailed, the mids are accurate and so is the bass (which does extend quite low)

Some people seem to confuse "rolled of" and "recessed". IE8 highs are certainly not rolled off. They extend higher than many other phones in the same league. However, I agree they are recesed somewhat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back