What's so good about the RE0?
Jan 5, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #46 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Booda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since your socks are truly blown off, I am thinking how about your underpants? Because I worry about the underpants is more near to the phone. right?

they stayed on thanks to me holding on them, but thank you for your concern.

I also have something along the lines of music quality. If you're listening to a .WMA ripped cd at 128kb, you're not going to be impressed by it. You should be ripping your music to at least V2 standards. I use V0 on my DAP and nothing lower. All of my music is either V0 or FLAC.

Here's a good thread explaining bitrates from Hydrogenaudio

and a good pic showing differences in bitrates
Lame-chart-2.png

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #47 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neither noob or basshead are not curses for me.

Noob - novice head-fier, who yet to
  1. train his perception to meet community informal agreements on how to interpret and appreciate the sound (head-fi tonal by Castaneda terms)
  2. learn some specific peculiarities and deficiencies of headphone listening
  3. familiarize himself with various headphone models for better understanding of technology standards, capabilities and constraints
I doubt whether head-fier, who get some knowledges listed above and experienced with 10+ of well known IEMs, would call RE0 to be "bass-lacking".

Basshead - the person, who does not tolerate well a natural inferiority of headphone bass caused by the absence of tactile part of perception. He is looking for headphones with deeper and more weighty bass than most of the headphones may offer. There are good reasons (see above) to meet more bassheads among the noobs.

Btw it's hard for me to believe that the amount of bass produced by the RE0 is equivalent to what goes into our ears while listening to a concert live, or music out of speakers, and that the RE0's lack of this bass is solely attributed to the absence of its tactile perception.

It doesn't sound like I'm listening to music out of speakers, or listening to it live, and I don't think that training my ears for any amount of time will change that. Especially while listening to my music at the lowest possible volume on my MP3 player.

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #49 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by GN85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw it's hard for me to believe that the amount of bass produced by the RE0 is equivalent to what goes into our ears while listening to a concert live, or music out of speakers, and that the RE0's lack of this bass is solely attributed to the absence of its tactile perception.

It doesn't sound like I'm listening to music out of speakers, or listening to it live, and I don't think that training my ears for any amount of time will change that. Especially while listening to my music at the lowest possible volume on my MP3 player.

what tips are you using? also im running them amped with a mini3 and found them to be so much better than before.

Jan 6, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #50 of 56
Quote:

Also, some of what we "hear" as bass is really from conduction through the body, as bass tones tend to be powerful, carrying a lot of physical energy. No IEM will ever duplicate this; the air mass they move is just too small.

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #51 of 56
I've heard a few people say that custom molds allow for certain amount of bone conduction (which some people seem to like while others find it distracting). No idea if it's true or if it affects all models, but I look forward to finding out.

Also, I think "audiophile" has two different meanings on this site, although only one of them is correct. I think many (most?) of us think of being an audiophile as meaning somebody who enjoys full, rich, detailed sound with good clarity, etc. But that doesn't necessarily mean accurate sound reproduction, as evidenced by the large numbers of us that have "fun" IEMs and headphones that have varying levels of sound coloration and presentations. The actual meaning of an audiophile is "a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction" (Merriam-Webster), and in case there is any confusion, fidelity is defined as: "1 a : the quality or state of being faithful b : accuracy in details" (Again, Merriam-Webster). Being 100% "faithful or loyal" (wikipedia) is not always fun or the most enjoyable way to hear our music for many of us, a fact which is unfortunately looked down up by some of the true audiophiles among us. In the end, it's your money, your ears and your listening experience. True audiophiles be damned
k701smile.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #52 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what tips are you using? also im running them amped with a mini3 and found them to be so much better than before.

Yeah, the tips have a huge effect. When I use olives I get more bass than with the stock tips.

Jan 7, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #53 of 56
Quote:

Believing is the key, since just a few of us may use other sources, like professional knowledges. You choose what to believe. Many people here trust to Etymotic, like I do. If you read their backgrounds on official site, you would know that their frequency response is "true to ears", same as you just described. And any who heard RE0 and Etymotics would tell than RE0 bass is stronger.

Quote:

Sure sign that there is no enough power or record quality is compromised by the compression. There are some IEMs better aimed for MP3 players - with accentuated bass, higher sensitivity and good tolerance to MP3 artifacts. Say SE530. Visit my RE0 review to know why some may prefer E500 (same to SE530) to RE0 when pairing directly to MP3 player and how much RE0 sound depends on amplification and tips used.

Jan 7, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #55 of 56
Quote:

The bass is no where near anything live! What hifi or headphone has that kind of bass? These are cute little things you walk around with in your ears out of the house, end of story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back