What are your dream headpones?
Dec 6, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #78 of 119

Quote:
Put a ZO between your DAC and amp.

This (electrostatics respond well to EQ, though the ZO's SmartVektor is a bit more than that), or run a subwoofer in tandem with the headphones.

Can't think of any other ways to get that delicious electrostatic clarity while keeping the bassheads satisfied with the impact...

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #79 of 119

The ZO was more of a joke, but you could easily add a high quality graphic EQ (I'm thinking about a Rane EQ in my final system) between them if you don't want to send your 5k+ music through a $100 ZO. :D

Quote:

This (electrostatics respond well to EQ, though the ZO's SmartVektor is a bit more than that), or run a subwoofer in tandem with the headphones.

Can't think of any other ways to get that delicious electrostatic clarity while keeping the bassheads satisfied with the impact...

Dec 6, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #80 of 119
Quote:
Fairly certain they sound the same as the normal leatherheads. There's just the added exclusivity factor to something already exclusive.

I dont know... just look at them!

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #85 of 119
You like Purple Beats...I'm not too sure you're aloud to have an opinion. 
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
I.. I think they look ugly, in all honesty. 

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #86 of 119
Quote:
Oh, they're certainly gorgeous. Also crazy rare with only 50 units made. I'm just fairly certain they sound the same as the "normal" L3000 (which isn't a bad thing!).

I know, just busting your chops. They should sound the same, though the leather may have a thicker die
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Now imagine them with a matching green cotton cable...Dear god. Those are gorgeous.

Hahah, im not sure about that. A black braid would look good.

Quote:

Are you sure your looking at my picture?

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #87 of 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ZO was more of a joke, but you could easily add a high quality graphic EQ (I'm thinking about a Rane EQ in my final system) between them if you don't want to send your 5k+ music through a $100 ZO. :D

It did seem odd to mention the ZO specifically, but I did understand the underlying principle. I even thought about it a little, but decided that my source (X-Fi Titanium HD) had enough means of ridiculous bass boost at the driver level if I ever needed it. (EQ and bass boost stack. There's enough headroom to do so without clipping at around 10% source volume, which is plenty when an external amp's doing the real work.)

Of course, I'm not packing an SR-009, either...just a "mere" vintage Lambda + SRD-7/SB with an SR-202 + SRM-212 on the way. Thus, the headphone-to-DSP/amp price ratio isn't as horribly slanted. (For now, anyway. Who knows how much prolonged exposure to Head-Fi will promote further financial irresponsibility...)

Quote:

I've seen worse. Jecklin Float and Stax Sigma, for starters. Stax Lambda to a lesser extent; yes, I'm actually saying the headphones I'm rather fond of look kind of ugly.

But all that matters in the end is comfort and sound quality.

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #88 of 119
Quote:

I don't know about ugly, but I think they would look much better with black or dark gray plastic trim instead of all that cream-colored stuff.

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #89 of 119

Quote:
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness ..."

Then again most seem content to take comfort in familiarity.  Perhaps this is why top 40 hits have utilized the same tired chord progressions for 40 odd years, why the traditional sitcom has still not died, and why all those derivative architects were lauded while Roark looked at askance.  God these painkillers are messing with my head, haven't read the fountainhead in 15 years.

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #90 of 119
I think the SR007 is my favorite headphone concerning looks. The cable is gorgeous and they're so wonderfully normal. 

I definitely see my final 'end game' rack including a great graphic EQ with a through put as well. So many people here are against EQ, but a quality hardware EQ can work wonders.

Quote:
It did seem odd to mention the ZO specifically, but I did understand the underlying principle. I even thought about it a little, but decided that my source (X-Fi Titanium HD) had enough means of ridiculous bass boost at the driver level if I ever needed it. (EQ and bass boost stack. There's enough headroom to do so without clipping at around 10% source volume, which is plenty when an external amp's doing the real work.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back