What are your dream headpones?
Dec 5, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #52 of 119

Mine are purple...
wink.gif

Quote:
I want the ones with the purple.

Dec 5, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #54 of 119
Quote:
I want the SR007A and SR009 to mate and have twins.

Are you still rolling with the 007a's unmodded?

Might want to give the port mod a try, moar deep bass + no mid bass hump, makes vocals and stuff shine through heaps better. But I listen to lotsa doof doof so maybe it isn't such a big deal for you.

Dec 5, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #55 of 119
I want a magnetically suspended diamond coated driver that is not attached to the voice coil except by magnetism.

Better yet: some earphones that use quantum entanglement with my eardrum. Perfect conduction to my ear, and flawless wireless connectivity.

Dec 5, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #56 of 119

Doof doof. Little girl doofs.

Quote:

Might want to give the port mod a try, moar deep bass + no mid bass hump, makes vocals and stuff shine through heaps better. But I listen to lotsa doof doof so maybe it isn't such a big deal for you.

Dec 5, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #57 of 119
Quote:

Could you link me to the mod?  Is it Spritzer's mod?  I never really read into how to do it, but I do remember seeing him mention it was reversible.  If the SR007A is easier to open than the K701 (that one was a PITA), I'd try it out of boredom.

What's the downside of the mod?  I could always use more bass.  I don't really notice the mid bass hump, though maybe that's me chalking up certain recordings just sounding a little bit veiled/muffled (particularly some metal and rock).  I assume it's the character of some recordings because I put on some different music, and then all the muffled character is gone.  Electronica always sounds great.

Edit: Is it this "sr-007a port mod"?

Dec 5, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #58 of 119
Quote:
Could you link me to the mod?  Is it Spritzer's mod?  I never really read into how to do it, but I do remember seeing him mention it was reversible.  If the SR007A is easier to open than the K701 (that one was a PITA), I'd try it out of boredom.

What's the downside of the mod?  I could always use more bass.  I don't really notice the mid bass hump, though maybe that's me chalking up certain recordings just sounding a little bit veiled/muffled (particularly some metal and rock).  I assume it's the character of some recordings because I put on some different music, and then all the muffled character is gone.  Electronica always sounds great.

Yep it's Spritzer's mod (port mod), you can find it on the other site. For the 007a (well, mine at least, SZ2-1728), you just had to plug some holes on the black mounting plate with blu-tak. There's 2 small holes near where the cable entry is, and you need to cover one part of the larger holes (you can see the gap between the driver and the black mounting plate). It's completely reversible, just be careful.

Ya just gotta pop off the earpads to see the black mounting plate...putting them back on requires patience, and a solid grip of The Force. No need for a screwdriver or anything at all, and I guess you're gonna have to change the earpads eventually, so might as well get some training.
tongue.gif

Downsides, the Stax fart I guess? You lose a lot of the bass bloom/impact from the midbass hump, it's hard to say if you prefer it this way or not. I've kind of gotten used to it by now, and I love how I can just turn it up to 11 with no fatigue(since the O2's are dark), and no muffle/veil.

Dec 5, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #59 of 119
Thanks for the suggestion.  Hmm, if it means that I'll lose some of the bass bloom and impact, I don't think I'll do the mod, as I like that character, particularly when paired with electronica and some solo instruments.  I might try it if I get another MK2/2.5 if I decide not to sell the GES.  I'll try to demo someone else's MK2 with the mod, as I'm interested in hearing it, but not enough to disassemble my own headphones at this time.

Dec 5, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #60 of 119
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion.  Hmm, if it means that I'll lose some of the bass bloom and impact, I don't think I'll do the mod, as I like that character, particularly when paired with electronica and some solo instruments.  I might try it if I get another MK2/2.5 if I decide not to sell the GES.  I'll try to demo someone else's MK2 with the mod, as I'm interested in hearing it, but not enough to disassemble my own headphones at this time.

Yup I missed the bass at first, since I'm a closet basshead. But then I thought, doof doof with no little girls, not cool man.

The mod brings the sound in line with the mk1, so if you've heard those, then that's what it'll sound like. I guess you could always look around for mk1 vs mk2 impressions too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back