what are the crappiest headphones you own?
Aug 31, 2003 at 2:57 PM Post #61 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by Whitebread
I wasn't yet born in 84, but if I was like 15 at that time, maybe I'd get the joke. ......
redface.gif
tongue.gif

The year you were born has nothing to do with it. read it. read it now.

Aug 31, 2003 at 3:04 PM Post #63 of 71
MDR-V4's
Paid 80$ for them in '87. They sound worse than than the 20$ hp-170's I got for the kids a couple of months ago.

Aug 31, 2003 at 7:51 PM Post #64 of 71
Listen to this: My girlfriend thinks that my Grado SR-80s sound only "slightly better" than her "dollar-store" headphones. I was mortifed when I heard this. She said this "Well they do sound a little better, but not 150 times better(amount of money I spent vs what she spent).

Aug 31, 2003 at 8:07 PM Post #65 of 71
Two pairs of crappy sony headphones that come with portable players. I would've had three of them, but the last pair got experimented on - I plugged them into my maxed out home and blew both drivers. hehe.

Jam_Master_J:

That's a pretty normal response from a lot of non-audiophiles. About seventy percent of the people that listen to my high end rig just shrug and walk off. There is only one person my age who truly appreciates what kind of SACD and DVD sound I'm getting, and decent redbook / computer audio to boot.

I wouldn't take it too personally
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Geek

Sep 1, 2003 at 4:35 PM Post #66 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by Jam_Master_J
Listen to this: My girlfriend thinks that my Grado SR-80s sound only "slightly better" than her "dollar-store" headphones. I was mortifed when I heard this. She said this "Well they do sound a little better, but not 150 times better(amount of money I spent vs what she spent).

Don't get mad, get even....

If she's interested in knitting, tell her that her special stiches don't look any different to a crappy $2 K-Mart jumper...

Or better yet..
sm_nyuknyuk.gif

Next time she asks if her ass looks big in a particular dress,
sm_bootyshake.gif
take an extra 3 seconds over what it normally takes you to answer that loaded question.... so drag the total time out to 3.1 seconds... before you say..... "No sweetheart, what ever are you talking about...?!?!" before walking back smugly to your cans....

then wait for...
sm_bash.gif
sm_shinner.gif

back on topic... My HD495 Silvers just go from bad to worse, like someone previously mentioned, last time i buy Senns blind... (Or deaf if you will)

Also my Sony MDR-E888 aren't doing much for me... and they're SOOOOOOOOOO uncomfortable....

Sep 4, 2003 at 8:50 AM Post #68 of 71
My old roommate one day went on a quest to find the absolute worst set of headphones and CD player he could find at the lowest possible price. To my absolute horror, he succeeeded...

He came back after spending $22 with these giant, ugly vise-grip looking pair of headphones with a metallic finish and a black headband with terribly uncomfortable cups. The only thing written on them were 'MetalPhones' if my memory serves, at least that's what we referred to them as. The CD player was some crummy little Audiovox you could pick up at like Target.

We used to sit in his room daring each other to listen to our favorite discs on this set-up. We sometimes goofed around, like hooking the Metalphones up to his XA777ES -> MG Head/X Cans V2. I once plugged my HD-600s into the Audiovox and really, while it was truely terrible, you could actually see how much damage those MetalPhones were doing to even what is probably the worst source ever built.

The roommate and I have both gone our seperate ways now, but I sometimes wish I had that crappy set of headphones and CD player, just so I can sit back and torture myself for five minutes and gain better appreciation for what I typically listen to. Because it'll delay how long it takes me to go to a modded C555ES -> KG amp -> Stax Omega IIs. We won't even get into cabling...
frown.gif

Sep 4, 2003 at 12:47 PM Post #69 of 71
grado rs-1
very_evil_smiley.gif

Biggie.

Sep 4, 2003 at 12:56 PM Post #70 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by bluesaint
At the moment, my HD600 w/equinox sounds like crap comparing to the R10 i just got.

now, that just ain't right
smily_headphones1.gif

Good to hear you are enjoying the R10s.

John

Sep 4, 2003 at 3:05 PM Post #71 of 71
No contest with Sony MDR-605's.

I can hear their thin demonic shrieking from their box beneath my desk right now... Damn it hurts.

If I only I could get headfi on my cell, I never would've ended up with these. "Well, it's not the V-series I've heard and didn't really like, so it's worth a shot.." Shot in the head more like it.

dumb dumb dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back