What are the best Grado's?
Jul 22, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #46 of 91
Whatever you want. Portability, size, etc.

Jul 22, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #47 of 91

Quote:
The best Grados, IMO, aren't Grados, but the Symphones Magnums mod of the 325is/MS2i, which I reckon are better in some ways, than the HD-800s which are twice the price. 
eek.gif

Is he still around though? I heard he was AWOL.

Jul 22, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #48 of 91
My 1st Grado's were SR125s and they were pretty good.  In addition to the 125s I now have RS1is.  When deciding to purchase the RS1 I sat in a store and walked up the line from the 60s all the way to the RS1s ad as somebody has already mentioned pick the one that you can afford.  As I walked the line the sound improved each step up I took.

Jul 22, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #50 of 91

Quote:
Well I just ordered a set of 225's from Headroom along with a 1/4 to 1/8th adapter. First impressions soon.

Give them at least 24 hours of burn in to tame down the treble and improve the bass response.

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #51 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneelJung  

" Well I just ordered a set of 225's from Headroom along with a 1/4 to 1/8th adapter. First impressions soon."

Congrats. Good luck. I hope you enjoy them. I can't wait to read your impressions.

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #52 of 91

Quote:
Well I just ordered a set of 225's from Headroom along with a 1/4 to 1/8th adapter. First impressions soon.

Enjoy!  Don't be afraid to switch the pads from the 60's you already have with the 225's.  You will find a large part of the sonic differences are due to the earpads.  My initial impression was that I perferred the sound with the flat comfy pads which I swapped from my 80's, but I later warmed up to the sound the bowls gave.  When I get my replacement 225s (out for delivery today...yay!!!) I'm going to experiment with the "tape around the bowls" mod to see how much it enhances the bass.

I too look forward to your impressions.

Jul 22, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #54 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrilias  
" What about amped versus unamped Grados?  It sounds like the lower ones work fine without an amp, but some have a significant difference with amps."

I think this age old debate is always tough to answer. With even a modest amp Grados sound better with an amp. The better the Grado, the better they'll sound when juiced. The 225 will sound good out of most sources without an amp. Add an amp and I believe it's a worthy step up.

Jul 22, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #55 of 91

Quote:
Is he still around though? I heard he was AWOL.

Naa, just had sucky timing when he forgot to renew his domain at the very moment he had a shipping issue.  Running a one-man manufacturing business while also having a full-time job is hard work.   I have been chatting and encouraging him via email as what he produced is excellent and I reckon he deserves to succeed.

Quote:
What about amped versus unamped Grados?  It sounds like the lower ones work fine without an amp, but some have a significant difference with amps.

It's worth remembering that there is no such thing as "amped" or "unamped", as all audio devices have some kind of amplification in them.  More refined headphones will always perform more significantly better than less refined ones as you increase the quality of the amplification. 

Jul 22, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #57 of 91

Quote:
Naa, just had sucky timing when he forgot to renew his domain at the very moment he had a shipping issue.  Running a one-man manufacturing business while also having a full-time job is hard work.   I have been chatting and encouraging him via email as what he produced is excellent and I reckon he deserves to succeed.

Cool...thanks for the update.

Jul 30, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #58 of 91

Quote:
Enjoy!  Don't be afraid to switch the pads from the 60's you already have with the 225's.  You will find a large part of the sonic differences are due to the earpads.  My initial impression was that I perferred the sound with the flat comfy pads which I swapped from my 80's, but I later warmed up to the sound the bowls gave.  When I get my replacement 225s (out for delivery today...yay!!!) I'm going to experiment with the "tape around the bowls" mod to see how much it enhances the bass.

I too look forward to your impressions.

Quote:
Quote:

" Well I just ordered a set of 225's from Headroom along with a 1/4 to 1/8th adapter. First impressions soon."

Congrats. Good luck. I hope you enjoy them. I can't wait to read your impressions.

Their here
o2smile.gif

Not sure what to think yet. Initial impression is that they sound a lot like my 60's although that might just be the way my brain is processing the sound right now too. There does seem to be a little bit more going on sonically although that might be the bowls; and the sound stage does seem a bit bigger.

The first song I listened to was Bridge to Better Days offf Bonamassa'a Live from Nowherre in Particular CD. Like I said not a lot of difference but their does seem to be more clarity with stuff like cymbals.

After that I listened to some JJ Cale, To Tulsa and Back, My Gal, Chains of Love, New Lover, and damn did it sound good. Then back to Bonamassa, Mountain Time and Another Kinda Love. Sloe Gin just started and I gotta say these things sound good. Going to have to A/B a bit more especially as they burn in a little more an my head gets more used to their signature of these versus the 60's.

Also the Bass is starting to kick a little more now that I've had them on my head for a few.

Jul 30, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #60 of 91
Quote:

" Their here
Not sure what to think yet. Initial impression is that they sound a lot like my 60's although that might just be the way my brain is processing the sound right now too. There does seem to be a little bit more going on sonically although that might be the bowls; and the sound stage does seem a bit bigger.
The first song I listened to was Bridge to Better Days offf Bonamassa'a Live from Nowherre in Particular CD. Like I said not a lot of difference but their does seem to be more clarity with stuff like cymbals.
After that I listened to some JJ Cale, To Tulsa and Back, My Gal, Chains of Love, New Lover, and damn did it sound good. Then back to Bonamassa, Mountain Time and Another Kinda Love. Sloe Gin just started and I gotta say these things sound good. Going to have to A/ B a bit more especially as they burn in a little more an my head gets more used to their signature of these versus the 60's.
Also the Bass is starting to kick a little more now that I've had them on my head for a few."

Congrats. Although Grados don't need a long burn in they'll benefit from around 20-40 hours worth. Wear them for a week and switch back to the 60 and you'll see where the improvements are. Enjoy. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back